I Forge Iron

anvil price bubble?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices are pretty inflated here in california as well and sellers are not budging.  I got lucky i guess and finally found an Arm and Hammer from a friend came with a few hardies @ 208 lb for 600$ it was more than i wanted to pay but i have been looking for one like it a long time, and its in great condition.

Edited by smfg_mendo

Growing up in Fairfield I understand how it can be, but my 260# Fisher was $250 out of Lincoln, the 306# Sodefors was $200 out of the Bay Area, and the 150# Vulcan was $50 out of Vallejo, and all were purchased between 1977? - 1990? . Prices held around $1 a pound past that time, then recently they went  up , up, and away......

Since I moved to Nevada in 2005 I have bought 4 more. A 50# for $60, a 125# JHM for $125 ( in a package deal , so that is what I figured for it), a 170# HB for $175, and last month a 138# Peter Wright for $100-and he flipped it to me for a profit.

A look at the Philly CL shows a lot of anvils by one seller who has Picker in the phone number. What that tells me is that they are partly to blame for the increase. They find them before the real smiths do, then jack the price way up. In some ways creating a false market. People see the eBay, and CL listings and think all anvils are that valuable.

I saw the pics of then arm and hammer you got, and it is in great shape, and a good size. 

yesterday I had a go at making an early anvil, ok for a first try, will see if it sells at a living history event in a few weeks.

next will make a larger one with a bick.

also bought an anvil a few days ago, awaiting delivery and then I will post details but at an estimated 100kg ( 220lb ) for 160 uk pounds ( about $240 us ) it is not bad

anv2.jpg

anv1.jpg

Nice, I hope it's a good seller!

My early style anvil is based on the one in the Roman Museum in Bath, basically a cube with a spike forged from a single piece of steel by Steve Parker who has been making a number of such anvils. a Rectangular Solid anvil has 2000 years of use behind it, a London Pattern more like 200 years...

I remember that Honest Bob at SOFA used to demo at meetings using a chunk of shafting and a stump to hold it flat or on edge.  If you search on bladesmithing anvils you will find a number of *non* London Pattern anvils being used out there.  (The sword forging section of Living Treasures of Japan, National Geographic, can be found on YouTube,  shows one in fairly recent use by an expert...)

Edited by ThomasPowers

No, Thomas, when this site's census reaches 100 k, a used 200 lber will average 1200 bucks, and folks will SMILINGLY pay it!

​Possibly - or supply and demand may take over.  Other enterprising souls beside the current crop of makers could go into production and build new ones.  The Fisher model of cast body onto steel plate might be the best modern solution or cast entirely from steel - unless someone with large machining capability could knock them out of a billet for a competitive price.  Flame cut the profile from plate then round all the proper edges and broach the holes. Lots of possibilities - India has a lot of this type of manufacturing capability and could probably compete with China.

What makes an anvil valuable? Why is some one interested in hitting hot metal willing to pay such a high price when some average Joe would consider it next to worthless? 

The idea seems to be - "I need an anvil to do any forging at all" which as we know is just not true. But does young Johnny the apprentice know that?

Thing is there are plenty of anvil alternatives out there that aren't being properly illustrated to the beginner/ hobbyist smith. - RR Track, fork lift tines, caterpillar track, sledge hammers and just big lumps of steel all make fine anvils.  - I don't think there is a thread on this forum where members haven't suggested RR track to a beginner, but you rarely see anyone saying to use a sledge hammer head... (There is a vide of Kukri makers using sledge heads as anvils) 

But, it's very easy to say these alternatives are ok whilst sitting pretty on your 200+ pound anvil. And in most cases MULTIPLE anvils that see no use. - Are there any professionals on here that can honestly say they only have one anvil? It's like a professional race car driver leaning on his million dollar car whilst telling a kid just starting out that his beaten up family car will do just fine for what he wants  - It's only natural that the kid wants to get the race car. 

I believe if we as a community started illustrating that good work can be done on simple blocks of steel then the price of "real" anvils may stall somewhat. Destroy the belief you need an anvil to be a blacksmith and you will limit their cash value. If the new guy sees the same work can be done then why pay more just to have a "real" anvil? 

Again that might be easy for me to say being in Britain. We might share a language but our cultures are different, our currency is different and so on. I've paid less for 4 anvils over the years than many in America might pay for just one. It is on the whole much easier for me to get hold of something useable than it is for a lot of you guys. 

Will the bubble burst? it has to at some point. There will come a time where people just won't pay the prices sellers are asking. It's going that way in the UK, but thankfully we're quite a way behind you guys. Long may that continue. 

All the best 

Andy

Andy, I agree in part with what you're saying.  Sadly, the Perceived Value of an anvil doesn't necessarily reflect reality, and all the talking in the world won't change that. 

While the new guys see us old hands with big London Pattern anvils and think that they need one if they're to have any hope, what they don't see is that we've been around for a long time and have had plenty of opportunity to grab anvils as they come available.  Perception v. Reality.

Do we need to demonstrate the use of other types of anvils?  Honestly, I don't think it would do any good.  With the ton of videos available on the internet, you would think it would be rather common knowledge.  With examples of smiths in viking towns using rocks or 10# chunks of iron, you would think that new people would have plenty of historical reference to learn from.  In either case, it's very very easy for a luddite like me to find alternative anvils, so I'm a bit perplexed at kids these days that can't find the same stuff on the internet.

What's missing in the equation is imagination and drive.  The internet's right there, but somehow we still get new guys asking the same questions over and over, asking us to give them an immediate answer so they don't have to do two minutes of research.  Instead of using a sledge hammer head like shown in the kukri video, the new guys will whine and cry about not being able to find an anvil anywhere in the world.... or they'll ask you if they can use a section of railroad track instead.  :rolleyes:

As more people get into blacksmithing, more people will get out of it.  While the membership number might be climbing, I don't think it's an indication that the demand is also increasing.  A lot of those members have long since quit, and a lot of the new guys will quit just as soon as they see how hard a job it really is.  Call it a passing fancy.

And just so folks can see just what's possible with a not-a-london-pattern-anvil and minimal tooling.......  I present to you the masterful work of Bogdan Popov!

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25866&hl=%2Bancient+%2Brussian+%2Baxe

If you follow along with Bogdan's tutorials on the bladesmith forum, you'll be amazed at how they made anvil stumps and were able to get anything accomplished even though they didn't have a hardy or pritchel hole on their anvils.  

A student of mine picked up a 4"x4"x8" chunk of scrap steel last night to use as an anvil 25 cents a pound for about 36 pounds. The previous student got the 4"x8"x8" one.

Back 10-15 years ago Honest Bob used to demo at SOFA meeting using a chunk of 8" shaft? for an anvil.

Wayne, it's probably those dang Americans buying your tools up to ship over here to sell for even more than they paid over there.....;)

Andy, I agree with you. I have multiple anvils now-7 in total. I have used some as loaners to beginners, and to others who were in a bind to get some orders out when they first moved here without the tools they had back home. In all honesty, if I meet someone who I think deserves it, I will sell them one at my cost,or if I really like them just give them one. I am not above bartering either. A good friend helped me around my place, and showed an interest in a  huge set of Mitchell car repair manuals I bought from a closing Sears auto center.  New, the set was well over a thousand dollars. I paid $250 for them, and gave them to my friend along with an automotive AC recharging station I had. We go way back, and I knew he would get a lot more use from them than I ever would. 

As to the primitive anvil suggestion, it may be fun to have a friendly competition where everyone involved makes a predetermined item without "real blacksmith tools".