I Forge Iron

anvil price bubble?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair point Vaughn. You can give all the pointers in the world but they still need a little drive and imagination. 

I noticed that hand tools in general seem to be rising in price. I wonder if it has anything to do with the self sufficiency drive that seems to be popular these days? 

BGD; yup. I'm no better myself. I own 5, but 3 are out on permanent loan to folks. 

Andy

I own a bit less than a dozen but since I teach I need a number of anvils for classes as I don't like more than 2 students per anvil and they are travelling anvils; and then I have my shop anvil and it's backup and then the bridge anvil in the armour shop, they build up over the years.  I've passed on many more, I run across a deal and jump on it and then let a student or friend take it off my hands for the same price + lunch...

Now back when I liven in the Blacksmith's Happy Hunting Grounds, Ohio, I did have a problem with postvises accumulating and decided I'd only own 10 at a time and if I bought another one, I'd sell off one.  Then I moved out to blacksmith un-happy hunting grounds and was glad I had stocked up!  (I like each of my work benches to have both a large and a small postvise attached to it, one on my welding table, 1 large one attached to the shop frame for heavy work---once used it to twist a railroad spike------cold. I still need to put a heavy mount in the center of the shop floor to be able to drop a large vise in it when I need a lot of room.  Probably put another outside in case I really need some room!

Edited by ThomasPowers

• 3 weeks later...

Alaska must be the King of overpriced blacksmithing equipment. A 2 1/2 cwt Brooks for $4000.00 and a homemade tire power hammer for $4000.00 popped up on CL yesterday. Maybe the wife told him he had to get rid of it so this is a "I dont want to sell it" price!

You'd still be surpised at some of the deals you can come across.  Just keep looking and be patient.  I got my first anvil through a weld shop that was selling for a retired shop teacher.  It was 151 lbs PW and came with a semi-functional stand and 6 pairs of oldish tongs, all for $250, 2 years ago.  I know of another one that if I could get a hold of the guy is probably a 150ish HB for $100 last time we talked.  

Just keep looking, be patient, and you might come across a not so greedy soul.