I Forge Iron

Rose Napkin Rings

Thanks for the feed back everyone,
eyrian,
They are made from cold rolled 5/16 mild steel round stock, The finish is applied with a brass brush while at a black heat. once cool a coat of clear enamel was applied.

John

how did you make the rose ? is it a Russian Rose or one made from flat stock?
they really look good ..like maybe Blueprint time!

Thanks for the feed back everyone,
eyrian,
They are made from cold rolled 5/16 mild steel round stock, The finish is applied with a brass brush while at a black heat. once cool a coat of clear enamel was applied.

John

They look beautiful. But could you say a bit more about the finish (product, material)? My books are pretty light around the subject, and the roses look spectacular.

John,
I got out and tried one, I have much learning to do, none the less, here is a pic of the first one I attempted, it is a cut and rolled rose, not sure what the actual name is, but for the first attempt, I'm fairly satisfied, the finish is hot wax. My wife liked it, and that is all that really counts in this home. thanks for sharing, we need these ideas!!

Divermike,
My first one broke in half and the third one burnt up in the fire,that is how we learn our best lessons. Yours is good for a first. Glad your wife liked it.

eyrian,
Bill Epps did a demo on a russian rose over at anvilfire, I will try to get a blueprint worked up on the rose/napkin ring with good pictures.

John

John,
Very nice idea. A simular rose was my first project at blacksmithing years ago after seeing the rose demonstrated at a hammer in. I went home (didn't have a forge then) and used a bernz-o-matic torch to heat the metal (about an inch at a time) to try and form the rose shape. I didn't have any "raw material" as such so I improvised using nails.
I was glad to see your post today.
Last week I started making napkin rings by forging a small leaf at each end of a length if 1/4" round stock curling up the 1/4" round between the leaf ends to form a "coil" to hold the napkin and crossed the leaves over one another. (sorry no pics) the rings are in the shop.
Gee, my point was to be (after all that beating around the bush) that I had forgotten about the early day of my rose making and I could have used the rose at each end instead of the leaf. Monday is another day (guess what I'll be making ?)
Thanks your article has brought me full circle so to speak.
Chuck
"So much Iron, So little time"

CurlyGeorge,
I gave them to the lady, they are for one of the tables at the Purdue University foundation dinner and 4H is the theme this year. she is the local extension service child education agent. She wanted to promote the blacksmithing program that we have here and asked me to make them since I am one of the instructors for the local program. She tried to pay me but I donated them.

I'm a fair blacksmith but I suck as a business man,

John