I Forge Iron

What do you carry?

I was in need of a key hook for my belt. Something to carry my truck keys on. I figured "why not make one?". This is what I came up with. It works well. Now I don't set off my truck alarm with my keys in my pocket.

It got me to wondering. What do you carry around with you that would make people notice your work? My hook gets noticed once in a while. It's a small thing, I know. But it opens doors to talk about smithing.

So, what are some examples that you carry. Key fobs are an obvious example. Jewelry? Post some pics & lets see how creative smiths can get.

Mitch

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11055/ppuser/2638

Edited by MRobb

Just a simple dragon's head on one end and the other smoothed down for the coat hook. Bent to fit the edge of a cubical wall and I sprayed a clear finish on it and glued a strip of felt on the inside "bearing" surface. I had to resize it once when they changed wall sizes.

Now I'm in an office and made a simple one that I could screw into a pre-existing molly in the wall; since the head is the coat hook I did not put sharp ears on it like I usually do.

No camera unfortunately.

Scratch, I believe there are several BP's on various twists. I can't get to them right now. I'm sure Glenn can get them for you. I know Hofi has done some also. Tha cube twist is pretty easy & a good one to start with.

Mitch

I thought about the cube wall dragon coat hook deal. Then they took my cube wall away and stuck me in a walk in closet .. I mean office... Right now I have 3 different test / sample / playing around pieces that I keep as paper weights. Don't get many people in my office, so usually I'm the only one that notices them :)

That hook and key fob look great.

Scratch, I'll try to explain it in words. Take a piece of square stock and using a cold chisel cut a line down the center of each face. Make the line 3 inches log for this exercise. Put the stock in your vice with one of the four corners facing up. Use a hacksaw to make a cut every 1/4 inch connecting the two visible lines you chiseled. Now turn the stock 180 degrees and repeat the process.

Take a good heat in the area of the stock you just worked on and twist away. 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn makes a nice graceful stack of cubes. More or less twisting to suit your taste.

Thanks to all for your comments & insights. Thank you Glenn for the BP number ( although I still can't view that one yet )

Larrynjr, Please post pics if you can. I'd like to see your version.

Keep 'em coming everyone!

Mitch