I Forge Iron

I teared up today.....

Yeah, it's aggravating but let's not leave our own community out of the discussion. There's an awful lot of anvils owned by collectors that will never see hot metal again. Many of these collectors are smiths who are fully aware of their collection's potential.

Collecting anvils that are rare or have some historical significance is one thing but when there's a stack of usable anvils in some smith's shop just to be looked at - that's a shame.

We have a couple of those collectors in our area. They will pay $5 a pound for even poor condition anvils. The one that will sell is $8 a pound for a sway back broken anvil. The one I know has over 1000 anvils and buys anything that comes along.

Considering the concern that many here have stated about the possibility of some one taking our tools for the insanely high scrap price, you have to wonder about someone who leaves such a large chunk in such easy view?

do a disappearing act on it at 2am :D

for the dude who has 1000+ anvils i kinda resent that...and i am sure the anvils do too...they're made for hammerin...and if they are rotting away in some guy's collection...its kinda sad...doesnt he know that everytime someone buys an anvil without being intent on using it for what it was made vulcan kills a kitten...

Edited by inazuma_x

do a disappearing act on it at 2am :D

I do hope your not suggesting anything illegal.

At 2 am the local dog may think HE owns the anvil, and might discuss the matter with you on his terms. The dog may ask the property owner and his hunting rifle to support the dog's views. Dogs can get real possessive.

Go buy a ASO and some Mums and Panseys and a couple of bags of mulch. Ask to swap them out.

I meet one of those collectors once. He had a real nice place with anvils everywhere. I realized then that searching for an affordable used anvil was a waste of time when there are "collectors" willing to drop serious coin to get "old tools".

When I die I want all my tools to go to apprentices who have tons of heart but shallow pockets. :cool:

How you feeling man? You doing ok lately? LOL Just kidding! :D

I was told last night about a person who bought an old farm with a blacksmith shop on it that should be about 100 years old and they have cleaned it all up and then locked it up so they can say they have a historical blacksmith shop on their land! I plan a trip by some time this week if possible.

If there is a collector in your area you can still find anvils that they haven't!

We have a collector round these parts but I had a member of my church give me a swedish cast steel anvil in great shape which I passed on to the Fine Arts Metals class at the local U as they had broken their previous anvil...

The collector may get the ones at local auctions and sales but you want the ones hiding in basements and garages and sheds anyway---they tend to be cheaper!

I am amazed at the lack of anvils in my area..It really is confusing..Several years of weekend searchs, wanted add's, combing every flea market and yard sale within driving distance...Ive seen two for sale :mad: and they were not worth buying..Im a gun collector from way back so Im usually pretty good at digging up items..We are just flat anvil poor...Thats all there is to it...:mad:

KYBOY,

Try farm auctions, there is usually a few going on any given month. Use auctionzip.com, put in your zip code and search radius, under keyword put in "anvil" and get busy. I've found a few auctions coming up I'd like to hit near me, but the cash flow isn't happening right now to do that.

Here's one coming up within hour or so of Eastern Ky, I'm might try to hit this as it is not far from here, either. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=509013&kwd=anvil&zip=41143&category=0

Anvils are out there, you just have to dig a little deeper.:)

Edited by keykeeper

Don't feel bad KYBOY. You're not alone.
Keykeeper, thanks for the site info. I tried it for my area. Using "anvil" as the keyword, the closest auction is in SC. And they were "mini cast anvils". I'll just keep looking. Who knows, maybe the next stone I turn over. :)

I dont really..Ive just pretty much come to accept it...:cool: Too many dead ends, to many miles and to many trips to sale just to find out their "Anvil" was in actuality a piece of railroad track :rolleyes:.. ....Id say unless I shell out $700-$900(which isnt likely:D) Ill have to keep forging on my old broken down, rebuilt 70 pounder..Oh well, she helps move hot metal. I guess thats what counts . ;)

The first anvil I bought was a 150 pound Peter Wright "yard ornament" for the last 12 years. I placed an ad in the local farmers paper looking for anvils and blacksmithing equipment. I got a bunch of calls one of them being that one. The guy was happy to sell it to me for 150.00 as long as I promised I wasn't going to sell it for scrap and actually use it!

Maybe he'd take something on trade for it... maybe if you made something on that anvil that he'd like, and could use, he'd possibly be up for a trade...?

I do hope your not suggesting anything illegal.

At 2 am the local dog may think HE owns the anvil, and might discuss the matter with you on his terms. The dog may ask the property owner and his hunting rifle to support the dog's views. Dogs can get real possessive.

illegal??? i am sure i dont know what you mean *innocent smile* :rolleyes:

Maybe you could get someone to cast an aluminum replica and convince the owner it is a very rare anti gravity anvil that has the power to be fully metal but only feel like 1/3 the weight! Then offer to trade him his common heavy iron anvil if he gives you $100 to make up the difference... LOL, ok probably won't work but, what if it did?

Removing evil grin and returning to normal peaceable self...
James