I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale

Nice to see you again so soon. The arm is healing well, just hope moonie has calmed down after that little blip in my forging diary. I understand Damo has registered also on IFI. Been set on being a smith for 33 years now after a school excursion to Old Sydney Town in primary school. Actually been a time served card carrying metalbasher for 28 years now.

Long live Aus

G'Day forgemaster( aka ) Phil ,first of all welcome to the site

Yeah , but i think he'll bring it up again next time you 2 get together

Phil & Damo ( Master & the Apprentice ) where at MOONY'S " Get HAMMERED " , without these to VERY CRAZY bloke's we probably still wouldn't ave MOONY'S 7 ctw Massey hammer installed ( More on that when i post photos of " Get HAMMERED " )

Dale Russell

• 2 weeks later...

ok my name is michael from toowomba. i am a boilermaker wanna be blacksmith. trying to incorporate it into my very small buisness. who know what is going to happen next year in 2009. i have gone in way over my head in making this work. don't know much but what i do know is that i love building things with steel and have seen alot of really cool stuff made by blacksmiths and i want in. i wanna learn:

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all.
Good to see there are a lot of Ausies on this forum.
My name is Barry, originally from Holland but for the last 3 years I've been living in Adelaide SA.
Last week me and my wife did a course in blade smithing at the Tharwa village and as I suspected we liked the blacksmithing side of it, a lot, early next year we are definitely going back there to do the blacksmith course and the Damascus steel course.

Mean while I almost have a working forge. I only have a bit of a problem finding a steel supplier and a Anvil of some sorts.
My aim for the next 5 years or so is to have a nice little "part/full time" blacksmith workshop in the main street of some historical SA village making whatever and maybe give a workshop here and there. But first both me and my wife want to learn a lot most of it in the old fashion way of "Trial and error".

cheers

Edited by bezza

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Phil M , go to your profile , fill out the section on where you are mate , you never know , there mite be another AUSSIE smith just around the cnr from you

Good to see another AUSSIE online too bloke

Drop inta the chat from time ta time , between 6.00 - 8.00 pm OZ time a few of us take it over :)

Dale Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Joined the other day, small backyard smithy right now. Gas forge, Flypress and anvil amidst a model engineering workshop. The blacksmithing has taken over from the models right now, find more solace in moving hot steel than making chips.

Originally from Perth but now living and working in Newcastle. Hope to keep it that way too as the beaches and proximity to everything are great.

Monster.

g'day folks,Ian here from Innisfail Nth Qld (bout a hr Sth of Cairns).I have worked in steel fabrication/engineerin workshops n sheds most of me life,I broke me spine in me 20's n now at 43 its startin to bite me,so I'm retrainin to become a social worker in disablities.

I like muckin around wif mild steel.......have just learnt how to draw a scroll(info from this site),so gonna knock up a few jigs n have lash at makin a small lampshade

G'day all name is Bully, live in Melbourne Victoria, have been collecting metal work over many a years and finally thought its time to play with it on a different level. Met up with Dale Russell from Wesburn Vic last week and had a ball, top bloke who knows his stuff and showed me some basics of blacksmithing (showed my 2 boys also, age 7 and 10) Am in the process of putting a forge together as we speak just gotta work out as to where ie exsisting shed, outside or build a new shed??? Anyway all the best to all catch you around the site cheers.

• 3 weeks later...