I Forge Iron

Savannah Runner

templehound

When I was a kid I loved to hang around in the Natural History Museum, ...I loved this place!

Stuffed with the most beautiful horns, teeth and weapons a ten-year-old could wish for.

I liked the Africa section best...all the items had this dark, sinister patina....the black forged spears with the bright edges, the rawhide combat shields covered with leopard skin,

the Massai swords....and I dreamed of a puukko that would look like it came from Africa...and today I know what a big influence that had on me and  my taste.

Here you see a hunting knife with forged blade from O7, copper bolsters and steel pinned Thompson's gazelle horn for the handle slabs and the liners of the sheath.

Blade length is 110 mm and it measures 230 overall.

I wish you guys a nice weekend

Cheers

Sa1.JPG

Sa2.JPG

Sa3.JPG

Sa4.JPG

Sa7.JPG

Sa8.JPG

Sa9.JPG

Sa9a.JPG

Sa9c.JPG

Sa9b.JPG

Sa9e.JPG

Beautiful as usual. A good using blade is my preference and yours is a fine example. I was wondering too, what are the "berries, fruits, ?" in the picture? They make an excellent background. Just busy enough to keep the eye from wandering off the subject but not so busy they distract.

Frosty The Lucky.

The background are in deed Pandan fruits as Hefty(Jono) already pointed out.

It is very close to an old fashioned artificial indefinable sweet taste like vintage chewing gum(not spear mint or the like)...even natural it tastes super artificial, I don't like it.

But the smell is really fragrant.

Finding a good background for the pictures is mostly not easy, especially for very dark knives like this one.

Some of the fruits were already in an very overripe state and I found myself between stench and scent.:huh:

Larry, Simian, 1forgeur, Les L, Frosty, anvil and Jono,

Gentlemen thanks a lot for taking the time commenting on the knife, very much appreciated!:)

Sa6.JPG

7 hours ago, Hefty said:

How do you create such an accurate overlap on the oversize scales/slabs?

Jono, I once took pictures of the process to explain a fellow knifemaker how I do this.

Give me a little time to find the pictures again then I will post them here....I won't forget;)

Cheers

On 7/19/2023 at 4:35 AM, Hefty said:

How do you create such an accurate overlap on the oversize scales/slabs?

Here is the basic process:

For light material grind a hard pencil super sharp and thin to keep the scribed lines as narrow as possible.

Dark material as horn I take a fresh sharpened steel scriber.

There are three main bevels, one is on top of the scale and two are on the inside.

To speed up the process I take my belt grinder with variable/adjustable speed.

I grind with a very low speed and a medium sharp 240 grit belt

and grind the three bevels on the rubber covered contact weel.The bevel which is closest to the tang is difficult because it is very flat.

This flat bevel is done safely by sanding by hand.

Then I connect the bevels by rounding them up with a sandpaper file.

You can do the whole process with sandpaper but with a belt grinder it is faster and the alignment of the bevels are more accurate.

The amount of the material which is removed is so small that you really have to watch out not screwing it up....

Work slowly and with patience then it will turn out well, that's it.

Cheers

z2.JPG

1rst bevel.JPG

2nd and 3rd bevel.JPG

side bevel ground.JPG

z1.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 8:21 PM, JHCC said:

A beautiful knife, great photos, and illuminating process photos. Thanks!

JHCC, my pleasure, Sir!

On 7/26/2023 at 8:54 PM, Davor said:

Nice B)

Thanks, Davor!

On 7/27/2023 at 12:06 PM, Hefty said:

Thanks Templehound! That's a great explanation.

Cheers,

Jono.

Thank You, Hefty!