I Forge Iron

What's in a name

I've toyed around with a shop name for a while and have come up with too close to someone else or other conflicting things. 

I've come to the idea that a friend sort of gave me years ago that is a play on my last name (Armbruster) which is Armed Rooster. So (since I am more on the artist side in metal work) my thought was (Armed Rooster Studio)

My question is what would sound or fit better, Armed Rooster Studio,or Armed Rooster Iron Works? Metal work"s" ? Or something else?

I have thought long and hard about it and tho I have just been going with (Aric Armbruster Artist, Blacksmith) for now, kinda boring and a long name to spew out or remember, I am looking for a shop name and something catchy to use. Logo, touchmark and such will come after. 

Is 'Studio' realistic for forging, fabrication and metal sculpture? I kinda like the ring but want to be true to my work in the name or term.  

While I get the connection between your name and Armed Rooster it brings to mind a tactical chicken or maybe something to do with firearms.  No one except those that know you will get the connection.  Since you are making sculptures there is nothing wrong with calling it a studio and using your name, something like Armbruster Creative Metal Studio.  If you don't want to use your name (and I think that your feeling that your name is boring is shared mostly by you alone) maybe something simple like Rooster Forge Studio or Big Chicken Metalworks.  I think when making sculpture, it is important to have your name attached.  For other stuff maybe something simple like AA Hammering.  Or you could use both names for different products.  I have dealt with the same issue but but have settled on using my name and studio.  No question then on who made it then.

Also why not Daswulf Metal Studio if you don't want your name up in lights?

Yeah, Armed Rooster doesn't ring any bells with me, even knowing the relation. 

I think your first name's spelling is unique enough so something like "Aric Art Metal," or similar is pretty catchy. I get too many amusing (to me) visuals for "Armed Rooster" logos to talk about.

Studio, shop, they're becoming so interchangeable as to be no difference. I find too many folk call their place a studio as an affectation but from what I've seen of your work it fits nicely. 

I'll try to hold it at two bits. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I kind of like it.  I see a logo of a rooster holding a sword.  In these politicized days I'd stay away from a gun as indicating "armed."  Also, to make it fancier you could use the Latin for "Armed Rooster," "Armata Gallus."

IMO "studio" is more up market than "forge."  It is more "genteel" if that is what you are going for.

GNM

I like the 'Armed Rooster Studio' idea, maybe with the second line on the card or sign saying 'Metal Worker' or 'Metal Artist'. Despite the obvious visual, it is a playful name that will tend to stick with people- you are giving them a 'moment' that will stick with them once they hear your last name. I went through the whole thought process when I named my landscape business, with my wife's input. Variations on my name , followed by Landscaping (and variations on that- Gardens; Garden Design, etc. didn't really click. I have a large mustache , so I suggested 'Handlebar Landscaping', and she loved it and was my trade name for 22 years. It was memorable and stuck with people, especially once we met in person. My logo on card, envelopes letterhead and truck graphics was a large stylized  handlebar mustache.

Armed Rooster Studio

Metal Artist

I like it.

Steve ( Former proprietor of Handlebar Landscaping)

You may find that insurance companies can handle the name studio, but shy away from insuring a forge, or raise the rates.  City, county, and states treat studios differently from something called a forge.  Fire departments want a name that makes their job easy.  

If you are going to run it as a business, choose a name that the next owner can use with little or no trouble and confusion when it changes hands.  You will also want a name that is short enough to put on a check, and easy to remember when they want to make another purchase.

Planned on staying away from guns in a logo. 

I could and have stuck with my name but I was thinking something different for my forge/"Studio name"

I feel it is memorable. I appreciate the positive and negative sides to it. Honestly it puts me back to doing nothing and being no one but I think I will use it. I was more on the studio or metalwork aspect. And with the feedback i am guessing "studio" is fitting enough.  Now to find someone who can draw well to make an armed rooster. ,"with a sword and some armor"

Rooster Arm or Hot Rooster. My lazy eye see's, Arm Buster. I know, you are born with it, don't take me a being critical. LOL

Da Roost Studio. Twisted Rooster.

A short name that will quickly roll off the tongue. Whatever you use, people will relate the name to you.

Neil

When I think of an image of "armed with a sword" a photo of lady justice over a courthouse is first in line. I don't recall the courthouse but the photo speaks to me. I'm not suggesting this pic, the robes, etc. but the stance, grip on the sword and perhaps a scroll in the other wing (hand). It has an air of relaxed strength and ready defense. Now I look at it more closely this isn't the one I fell in love with but I've never found the other again. This one's close though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Berner_Iustitia.thumb.jpg.e78e5e27d93126a16d39f88f5599e3f1.jpg

The rooster doesnt really need arms. They have their spurs. Honestly it is just a play on the name that an old friend mentioned years ago. Daswulf would probably work as well. Wolves as much as I like them seem to be played out. Look up armed rooster and about nothing. It is a play on the name where nothing else is and it could be fun stylized. How about a stylized heraldic or coat of arms style rooster clutching a hammer and anvil?

I am just toying with the idea and a wolf doing the same sounds good to me. I just thought maybe the play on the name may work better. 

I love the stylised heraldic coat of arms idea! Or, what about a Rooster rolling up his feathers, like a sleeve, to show off a muscly arm, a la "Rosie the Riveter" (Or the "Hellfish" logo, if you're a Simpsons fan), maybe holding a hammer?

If you want to do the heraldic shield thing I think some kind of a blacksmithy device on the shield would be cool.  Something like crossed hammer and tongs or a hammer over an anvil.  Or, keeping with the "armed" theme a crossed hammer and sword.

GNM

Okay, how about a rooster perched on the anvil a hammer and sword in each talon with prominent spurs.

Orrrrr, a roster holding a hammer perched on the hilt of a sword embedded in an anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the idea of an Armed Rooster very much.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:05 PM, Daswulf said:

Now to find someone who can draw well to make an armed rooster. ,"with a sword and some armor"

I like to draw but nothing of mine will ever end up in the Louvre.  When you settle on a concept, it might be fun to draw.  A beak shaped helmet, as part of the overall suit of rooster body armor, would be cool.  Theres all kinds of helms, maybe the beak should stick out just so it looks "roosterish".  Might get knocked off in battle though.....:)

Edited by Scott NC
Add something.

Daswulf hope you’re well. There’s loads of advice and opinions given already so I’m not going to add to any confusion. Whenever I have time to watch a movie I spend more time choosing one than watching one.