I Forge Iron

Chicken Bust

That's pretty clever. These sculptures made from recycled material force me to stare at them because I want to figure out what each piece was/is. That round part makes me think of a centrifugal clutch from a go kart. 

I LIKE it Scott. As Lary says, it makes a person stop and examine it closely trying to figure out what the pieces used to be. Art that doesn't capture the imagination and inspire the viewer to examine it's details has fallen short in my book. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of your imagination and tools next.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, Les.  It's a lot of fun to find just the right bits and parts.  It's a kind of "emerges as you go" type thing.......:)  

Jerry....:)

Aric, I was going to ask if your rooster was named Bubbles but losing an eye is no joke.  I had some evil mean Rhode Island Reds once.

Lol, still got my eyes so we can all laugh about it now. We had chickens when I was younger. Was earlier into cubscouts at the time whatever age group that is. 

Anyway, I had a white rooster named spike. Never had any problems with him but one day it was raining and my turn (of me and my two older brothers) to feed the chickens. I went to feed them and noticed a hen that looked like it had bubbles in its eye or both eyes, that part is kind of a blur because once I picked her up to see what was wrong with her Spike attacked me. 

I immediately dropped the hen and got away from them. I was holding my face crying and from what Ive been told my family thought I was out there crying cause I didnt want to do my chore. It wasnt till they saw the blood they knew it was something else.

Anyway, a trip to the hospital and 5 or so stitches on my lower eye lid and I was carted off to my cubscout meeting. Dr. had said another millimeter or so up and I'd have lost an eye. 

Still don't know if he got me with his beak or spur.

Afterwards they were considering cooking spike and from what I remember he died in my brothers arms before we did anything. 

Won't keep a mean rooster to this day and still am overly cautious with my kids around any rooster. 

My last rooster was a real gentleman but he just passed of old age so I don't have a rooster at the moment. 

That's my story. Not traumatized but cautious. And that's how bubbles bring back the memory.  Never did find out why the hen had bubbles around its eye. 

I don't know the mechanics of it but during flight birds don't exhale through their nostrils, air is ducted through the hollow bones to further exchange O2 for CO2 and IIRC it's finally exhaled through various orifices including tear ducts and ear canals. If the chicken had been upset it may have been breathing is flight mode and visibly bubbling due to the rain.

Also, . . . Something:rolleyes: having the hen and rooster all excited and worked up could explain the attack. Roosters are already territorial as all git out. It might not matter how friendly and gentle a rooster usually in if they're in season. 

Many years ago family friends owned a horse ranch / alfalfa farm where I used to spend a few weeks during summer, Rex their older son used to do the same with us in town. Anyway, they had a Bantam rooster that really had it in for me. It left other people alone, even visitors and worse everybody on the ranch just laughed about it. Chickens can be taught quickly, I took my tennis racket with me and enjoyed one more violent encounter.

"Bantam rooster war cry!" Service, BOING! "SKWAAAAAAACK!" I took that angry little monster right out of the air and sent him sailing. We weren't friends but he only blukked at me resentfully from then on.

Frosty The Lucky.

First bit sounds plausible Frosty. I never looked into it. That was before my pap built us a nice big coop. Then it was more a chicken hobo commune. 

I figured off the bat he was just being protective. Just in their nature. 

Thanks Rojo.  I made two identical ones for bookends but wasn't thinking too good as only the bases touched the books. :wacko:

Das, your rooster attack reminded me of the only time I was ever attacked by an animal.  When I was just 5 or 6, I was playing around a fenceline and got into some kind of wasp nest.  My parents heard the rukus and came out and rescued me.  They said I didn't know where to run.  My doctor once said that something like that can cause you to be super allergic, I believe it because 10 years ago I got zapped by a yellowjacket and it almost killed me, I think.  I didn't know I was allergic at that time.   I now carry a pen.

"chicken hobo commune"  lol...

They will still keep books in place I would think. Bases look heavy enough.

Thankfully I'm not allergic to bee stings but when they get riled up you just can't run fast enough. I've been attacked by ground bees before. Those little fuzzy guys make it their job to all chase you down and sting you.  A mower going over their ground hive gets them really mad. 

Oh, the problem is the books flop outward on the top.  I have some small scale cannons my grandpa made on the bookshelf and always wanted to make some bookends out of mill balls or shot puts with that same plate, to look like cannon balls.  Maybey make the bases the same size as the diameter of the "cannonballs".

I was thinking some smaller cannonball stacks, the pyramid shape, made from ball bearings. But they would have the same leaning book issue unless you added an upright to the base on one side. They would also be tricky to weld.

Larger mill ball "cannonballs" might look better. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, Daswulf said:

attacked by ground bees before

Off topic in this thread, lol, but I've also been attached by ground bees. I unknowingly ran over a ground nest while pushing an aerator. I left that thing running in the middle of the yard and ran for my danged life for the hose. Tripped over my own feet and slid a good 5 feet with my face in the grass. Made it to the hose and just doused myself and stood still until I saw no more bees around. Then stood there and stared at the still running aerator in the middle of the yard wondering how in the heck I was gonna get it turned off and moved out of that area. Apparently, if you wait long enough, the bees move on to somewhere else because after about 30 minutes I didn't see any more bees and quickly turned it off then ran away and watched for another long while before I got brave enough to move it, lol

I've also been chased by a flock of geese and been swarmed by red ants. Mother nature's little loved ones sure have a vendetta against me, lol

Shainarue, I think I would have let that aerator sit and run until it was out of gas and came back in a few days to move it.  :).   I don't trust bees.  Or Fire Ants.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:54 PM, Daswulf said:

cannonball stacks, the pyramid shape,

Key_West_2008_(2337864205).jpg.cfdb4971ec04230b00d979fe6e214fc3.jpg

I like that idea, I can see putting a cannoneer sculpture on it holding up a rammer that in turn hold up the books.

Yes, and when it got cold enough, spray would freeze on the brass monkey and lift the cannon balls, causing them to roll off. Hence the term, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey." And no, Mr. moderator there is nothing absolutely ZERO obscene about the saying.

Monkey's were brass to prevent static sparks as many cannon balls contained explosive charges.

Frosty The Lucky.