I Forge Iron

Arm stains?

Hi there- my son has been blacksmithing for awhile, but only recently I’ve noticed he’s getting these gnarly stains on his arms. I’m not sure what stage of the process that’s causing it- but I’m starting to get worried it’s not going to be good for his skin. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thank you! 

E37A3767-4D63-4A64-BE97-0652CB3F1127.jpeg

E448A2D3-896E-43DD-8F4A-E6C60DF7F050.jpeg

Merry (almost),

It looks like he is using a Propane Forge. Heat burn (like sun burn). If you can provide a little more information, What type of Forge? Is he working in his T-Shirt? Where is the Forge situated in relation to his Left Arm? It is not abnormal to have the hair burned off an arm (maybe it hasn't grown in yet).

The Positive take, He is not hanging out at the Mall!!!  Enjoy the Positive!!!

The Journey has a beginning. For a lot of us, the finish line is not in sight. Every time at the Forge, is a learning experience, 16 or 85 or so.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

If you put in your area in the Avatar, there may be someone near that can mentor him.

Neil

THANK YOU SO MUCH, NEIL! Apparently it IS a propane forge (I’m a dunce with this stuff!

:-D ) and he does always wear a T-Shirt. He has a wonderful teacher outside of Louisville, but the last 6 months he’s been suffering some major illness and hasn’t been able to mentor him. I’ve been dying to ask his teacher about it, but haven’t seen him in what feels like ages! I soooo appreciate you messaging me!! I’ve been very worried, seeing as it hasn’t gone away! He’s 11 and just adores blacksmithing, has been doing it with his mentor since he was 9, he’s learned so much, and it making and selling knives with his dad! It’s been an absolutely amazing blessing! 

Welcome aboard Mom, glad to have you. If you think you'll hang with us, we LOVE questions you know, I suggest you put your general location in the header, you and the boy will have a much better chance of meeting up with blacksmiths within visiting distance. Getting invited to hammer ins and BBQs is also a big plus.:)

Those appear to be IR burn / tan. The pale pattern is largely where the inside of his arms are at least partially shielded by his body. Propane forges radiate IR very strongly, I often finish a day with exposed skin red sometimes with 1st degree burns like a sunburn. This should NOT be a health concern and is easily prevented with long sleeves or turning the forge opening away from where he stands at the anvil and can be treated with aloe vera gel. 

However he should know the strong IR can cause cataracts, never stare into the forge. While it's important to keep an eye on your work so as not to burn it this can be done safely with glances. It is hard NOT to stare into a fire but a propane forge is way stronger an IR emitter than the coals in a camp fire. IR filtering safety glasses are available but expensive, it's best just not to develop the habit in the first place. One last note UV blocking safety glasses are common but do NOT think they are protection from IR UV and IR are two very different light wavelengths so don't be fooled. It is popular myth that forges radiate UV but they just don't get hot enough to radiate any but a miniscule amount of UV, the danger is in what they are designed to radiate, IR.

Oh on a last note have your son join the forum, we're a fun bunch.

Frosty The Lucky.

If it gets bad, like starts itching and flaking, a bit of lotion will help. I had it so bad on my hands once my doctor gave me a prescription lotion.  

A time or 2, like a sunburn, is not bad however i would guess that just like a sunburn over time and doing again and again may lead to some problems years to come. So i would take steps to mitigate that now. And like Frosty says sleeves. They will have another purpose as well. Mt forearms are polka dotted from forge welding. The bits of scale and flux coming off my work have left a bunch of little tiny burns that are all little dots lighter colored than the rest of my skin. 

For the time if you go to get some lotion have fun with it. Tell people it is a radiation burn. Kind of fun to see the confused look on their faces. Technically you would not be wrong. 

And lastly, welcome aboard from your neighbor up north. I grew up in Johnson county in a little holler a bit north of Paintsville. Hope to see more of you and your son here. Not only are we a fun bunch but a family friendly bunch. We tend to follow 3 rules when posting, no cussin, no politics and no religion, money only when we discuss the business side of the trade. We love pictures and would love to see pictures of his work and see his progress.  

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

If you are in the Louisville KY area, if I recall correctly there are several IFI members there. I have the same problem with IR tanning on my arms. I always attributed it to being 80 years old with thinning skin and forging hot steel for 40+ years. I found what helps me is an inexpensive pair of leather slip on arm sleeve guards, like welders and archers use. Harbor Freight has them along with most sporting goods stores. Too bad they don't help with the bruising, when I bump into the walls.:D

Good old Ely pearl snap  shirts are a good compromise between long sleeves and hot humid weather. 
note the little burn holes…

remember, cotton, wool, leather (and if your rich silk and linen) are your friend, Polly and nylon not so much. 

4710EC5A-10B1-4C07-AEFD-00A6716C2C0C.jpeg

22C07038-E442-4BF1-8B88-6CC530D92A70.jpeg

Now as soon as I start working with the gas forge the hair on the back of my hands will burn off. 

As Charles says, around any source of heat natural fibers are your friends.  Synthetic fibers can melt and stick to the skin when exposed to high heat.  Not a good thing.  When I was flying in military helicopters we were careful to always wear cotton underwear and socks in case of a crash and fire.  It can be more difficult for women to find under garments in natural fibers.  There is a firm in Indiana named Gohn Brothers who cater to the Amish who sell various cotton unmentionables.

Merry Christmas!

GNM

Kevlar and nomex are the exceptions to the problems with sythetic fibers and heat.  When exposed to heat they just crisp up rather than melting.  Nomex is more commonly worn by firefighters and aviators because that application does not need the high tensile strength of kevlar but kevlar should work just as well for heat protection. 

FYI, these fibers were invented by a woman chemist at Dupont in the 1960s.

GNM

Merry Christmas Mom,

Think simple. Ask him to wear a slightly larger (than his normal size) cotton flannel shirt with buttons or snaps at the cuff's. Leave it loose, let the air in for ventilation, sweat won't stick. If he needs to wipe his brow, he can use his arm in the sleeve. Yes, it is easy to wash and Cotton won't burn (won't melt to your skin). Yes, I have burned holes in some of mine, but that was from not paying attention which way the sparks from the grinder were aimed (Why is the front of me getting hot?).

Another fine Day, above tha Dirt and enjoyin' the Sunshine, regardless what the weather is doing or what the Clock says!! It's always Morning somewhere!!

Neil

I have been told that Medical Staff dislike pulling melted plastic out of people's burns due to the "noise levels".  As it is a goal of mine to NOT annoy such staff.....(though while I was in the ICU; a through regime of "chocolate bribery"  was instituted; as working over the holidays deserves a touch of recognition.)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember dreams of being trapped that coincide with being strapped in bed. By time I can remember the hospital I'd come around enough they just left the rails up when I was alone. The dreams had weird lights and noises too. I rarely remember dreams but I remember those and can identify the lights as flashlights shined into my eyes and different people talking to me.

It was a strange time. They had to keep me restrained pretty much from the time the ambulance picked me up until I started to come back from where ever I was. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 1:47 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

If you are in the Louisville KY area, if I recall correctly there are several IFI members there. I have the same problem with IR tanning on my arms. I always attributed it to being 80 years old with thinning skin and forging hot steel for 40+ years. I found what helps me is an inexpensive pair of leather slip on arm sleeve guards, like welders and archers use. Harbor Freight has them along with most sporting goods stores. Too bad they don't help with the bruising, when I bump into the walls.:D

The thin skin and bruising issues may be caused by an under active Thyroid.