I Forge Iron

Measurements for a split cross. Tks

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you put your general location in your profile we csn give bettert answers since many answers are geography dependent.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Alaska or Tasmania.

Your question is not dependent on your location, though.  The measurements largely dependent on how you want the end procuct to come out.  The larger the overlap of the 2 cuts the larger the diamond shaped hole will be when you open the arms.  Most Latin/Christian crosses are 1,1,1,2 proportion for the arms.  That is, the top and side arms are half the length of the base.

So, if I were doing it out of 3/8" square stock and wanted the final product to be about 6" long I would mark a 4" long piece into thirds.  I will refer to the 1/3 marks as A and B points.  Then, make cuts on adjacent sides down the length from each end to point B and overlap the cuts by about a 1/4" past point B.  This will give you a diamond opening about 1/2" across.  Once you open the cross up cut on long arm to the same length as the short arms.  Finish howevery you care to and you are done.

When doing the cuts, either with a bandsaw or by hand with a hack saw be very careful not to let the cut wander left or right.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

17 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Most Latin/Christian crosses are 1,1,1,2 proportion for the arms

Latin crosses, certainly. So-called "Greek crosses" are equal-armed, as are the Maltese cross, the Jerusalem cross, and many others. The Wikipedia article Christian cross variants" gives a good overview of the many different types of cross.

Not that if one is making an equal-armed version of a split cross, then the two cuts need to be of equal length and no part is cut off before opening.

Good Morning,

Does it work better, if your tongue is partly sticking out, one side or the other? LOL  I have found that using a piece of VW Front Torsion Bar Leaf (Beetle or Van) works well and with enough strength to open up each side. A Scraper also would work, but maybee a little thin. The best, is what you have in your Grocery Bag of Tools. A Bird in Hand......

Neil

The more TPI the narrower the kerf. That's Threads Per Inch and kerf is how wide the cut is, the higher the tooth count the narrower the blade generally is.. As if John doesn't know that. :rolleyes: It was good to bring up, I need a little spurring sometimes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

When I cut the 1/8" ones, I generally cut 50 or so at a time. I have to have no distractions and be in the right state of mind at the time. The 1/4" snowflakes are a bit tougher........LOL                Dave               Life is Good