• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The canister here contains a BLO and beeswax mix. Remove the lid and the canister is large enough to drag a rag into the mix and transfer to the metal. 

Suggest you coat the outside of the canister as they tend to rust quickly.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:25 AM, Frosty said:

Knowing those are worn out and to be used for knife stock still doesn't prevent the cringe from running down my spine at seeing files stacked together.  I'm not  faulting you for it but it still makes me cringe. 

Nothing ruins good files like stacking them so they can bang and rub on each other. One of the farriers I get them from tosses old ones in a bucket and gives me the same cringe reaction every time I bum a couple. He knows and it gives him a chuckle. A cringe is a small price for good steel eh? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I don't worry about it since I don't care if the burrs are sharp or not, but I am constantly amazed at how sharp these things still are when the farriers discard them. I get cut on these things all the time when I pick them up. I've kept a few aside for hot rasping and wood shaving, because they are so sharp still. Hey, their loss is my gain, because I get them for free. 

On 6/28/2023 at 2:48 PM, George N. M. said:

Cavpilot, how do you handle the teeth on the rasps?  Do you grind them off or do you incoporate the teeth as a design feature (like Thomas' rasple snakes)?

GNM

I do both because they lend to very different patterns. If grinding them off to get the open triangle pattern, I anneal them first. If leaving them on and hammering down for a fish/snake scale look, obviously that gets taken care of in the forge. 

Yeah, you need a good sharp file to work a horse's hoof or it can leave it sort of splintered. I was really surprised how sharp the first ones I got were too. I tend to hot rasp with them before turning them into something else on the anvil. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A little under 140lbs of old copper flashing.

IMG_6961.thumb.jpeg.d8ce4940ce9a9f7497c80132e7e5c4f4.jpeg

This was salvaged by a friend who’d just had some work done on his roof and wanted the copper to go into something more artistic than a scrapyard. 

On 7/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Glenn said:

The canister here contains a BLO and beeswax mix.

Ended up filling it with homemade paste wax: melted together beeswax, a can of cheap black shoe polish, and enough turpentine to get a nice soft texture. 

IMG_6992.thumb.jpeg.8f02b3196657591d7b4d86f11435bc6c.jpeg

The wax and polish were melted in the canister placed directly on the small burner on my induction cooktop. (This was designed for melting chocolate without burning it. Test the container with a magnet first; if the magnet doesn’t stick, the container won’t work with induction.) Then I grabbed the tin with a pair of Vise-Grips, carried it out to the shop, and stirred in the turps. No open flames, and no turpentine smell in the kitchen. 

It’s a kind of woodworking device, for working on the corner of a frame. It clamps onto a bench and holds the pieces in cork-lined jaws. Here’s a demo setup with a couple of pieces of square pipe:

IMG_6994.thumb.jpeg.5cea2474768766dd5ee2d22f486c1a08.jpeg

Thats pretty neat. Any chance of making another set of jaws to save the cork ones from burning up with using the vise for welding?  Even as is might be good for tacking the pieces, or its intended use with wood working. 

Nice score. Never saw one like that before. Have seen the framing clamps but not a vise like that. 

I’ll probably sell it on, since I’m not doing much by way of woodworking these days. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, and one man’s treasure is another man’s propane refill.