• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesnt quite count but I was cleaning out The metalworking shop in my dad's workshop he works mainly in wood and the metal shop hasn't really been used in 15 odd years terrifying quantities of stuff two dozen adjustable taps worth far too much morse and square taper bits ranging from very small to very big (technical measurements?) vast quantities of taps and dies at least 4 dozen loads of sharp files/rasps ranging from needle files to about 24 inch files loads of really old dull files/rasps = loads of 1095ish tool steel a few sizes of ball pein hammer a 'thor' copper mallet/hammer hot cutter a sledge a club hammer head I rehandled and painted green a weird hammer shaped somewhat like a pickaxe but with two flat, blunt ends a monster propane torch a huuuge (3 ft+?) AJ spanner loads of grinding disks and loads more stuff! Along with stuff that i knew was there so counts even less.
oh joy

1st snow of the season last night, started up our first fire in the Vermont Castings wood burner, the wife and I love this time of year, the best forging weather is when it's 85 inside the smithy, and 25 outside, with sideways blowing snowflakes, remember, viv la differance!!

Been white here since mid October. Been burning the Jotul since early October.

I kind of feel sorry for the folk with same'O same'O boring weather. How do they know when it's a nice day?

-3f this morning, first sub-zero of the season here. Beautiful moonlit, starfilled night. Beautiful sunlit, frost covered trees today. (as seen from the cozy warm inside of course)

Frosty

It's always a nice day---if it's not windy; we can get 40 degF temperature swings but as long as the sun is out it's *warm* no matter what the temperature is---as long as it's not windy. I like being able to go out to the forge in January and open up both 10'x10' roll up doors and work in just a long sleeve shirt. Heating a 2000+ sq foot house on a bit more than a cord of wood a year is pretty nice too even if only half of it was designed passive solar.

We're high and dry enough that night skies are georgeous; I can see an optical astronomy observatory from my front door.

66 and sunny at noon

sabre was it on sale out there they had them here in jersey for 49 bucks and if your on there mailing list you get cupons for 10% off i was thinking of doing the same as you are talking about i have some thick plow blade s i was thinking of welding on that way i can take it to pops place in ark so have an anvil there when i spend time there

I found a silversmith's planishing hammer head at a yard sale for $0.50. The lady thought it was a tack hammer head. I got it mounted on an old hammer handle and am working on re-polishing the faces. Sure messes them up when they drive nails with them. Hey Frosty, You know your having a nice day when the temperature is below a 115F and no snow on the ground.:D