• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

an old hand corn sheller works goof for removing the hulls Glenn, and a local nut farmer uses an old commercial potato peeler, he says to put the dehulled walnuts in water and I think he said the no good ones float and can be skimmed and tossed. He also uses an old golf ball sweeper retriever thing to pick them up of the ground under the trees, pulls it with his riding lawn mower.

Ted,
I like your view on things.

Glenn,
used to heve a neighbor who jacked the rearend of his car up and blocked it up just a little off the ground and then put it in gear at an idle and chucked the walnuts under the turning wheel. It worked and the car never took off on it's own. If I did that the car would end up in the side of the neighbors garage:)

John

Picked up an old slightly damaged crowbar at the fleamarket; had my student cut a piece off and forge it out and start junkyard steel testing it. Heat, water quench, set over the step on the anvil and *tap* it---*PLINK* looks like HighC, told him to try an oil quench on his knife made from it, about 30+ inches of it for US$1

Been working on the welding gas bottle valve protectors; bought a bunch of old ones at the fleamarket to make bells from. So far they are all "off the grid" and post consumer waste: used valve protectors, used rebar shipping wire, used old rusty chain and used pipe to make chilis to hang on the chains. Gonna see if any sell at the Festival of the Cranes.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Went to town for milk, eggs and bread. Brought home milk, eggs, 2 brake rotors, two 5 lug hubs, 2-1/2 cases of empty oil bottles, a 55 gallon drum, and a 5 foot pry bar, slightly bent, but forget the bread. Guess I will have to make another trip to town. (grin)

Drove about 135-140miles one way and talked a new (used less than 1/2hr) Miller Syncrowave 200 welding machine into coming home with me. Listed on the Miller site for $2655.00, paid $1400.00. yep, I'm excited! I have been looking at one of these since March, did a search on craigslist and there it was.
Also pick up a 1/2" top swage and pr of hand forged tongs total $10. If anyone is interested in a new computer plasma cutter with table, computer, Miller Spectrum 1000 plasma with 30' torch lead send me a private message. This guy I bought the welding machine from has the plasma cutter. $16,000 set up asking $8500. He is in OK, just west of Idabel. There is also some $200 worth of clip art CDs that goes with it. Wish I had the $$$ for it.

Oh yeah, I know. I have used a Syncorwave since '85. Best on the market. Only dry heads off of Lincoln SA200's prior to that. The one I use daily is a Syncrowave 350. When it was new in '89 I could hold a 2amp arc...my eyes and that machine were much younger then... But I can still weld coke cans together with it. I bought this one specifically for one job I do in my shop---welding Stellite to Inconel 600. The Stellite cost $60.00 per inch! The rods I use are $49.97 per/lb. and a minimum of 10# when you buy them. I just hope this machine is big enough for the job...we'll see.

We had a 350 LX at work but it never gets used, not really anyway.Someone went wild with their GOV'T credit card and ordered several machines we really didnt need..We welded aluminum with the 251 MIGS and did pretty much any stainless we needed done with the 200...

Finally come across some cable :D Got 10' yesterday at the supplier who normally has a 50' minimum order..I sweet talked the saleswomen up from out of their cut offs :P Made a small test blade yesterday and it turned out great..Im pretty sure its plow steel cable..

Edited by KYBOY

Finally come across some cable :D Got 10' yesterday at the supplier who normally has a 50' minimum order..I sweet talked to saleswomen up from out of their cut offs :P Made a small test blade yesterday and it turned out great..Im pretty sure its plow steel cable..

Make that lady a nice little paring knife or the like!

Frosty

Had a win this weekend.
The Missus wanted an hour of quiet time when I got home from work yesterday so I grabbed the Destructacon ( the three year old) and we went for a drive. Half an hour or so to a rubbish dump two towns over that allows scrounging ( most don't here) I got a 6ft weights barbell ( 8-10kgs) a 16inch rasp and an old wall mounted gun rack for $5 Might turn that into a rack for lighter bar stock or electric leads.
This arvo I went to might mate Petes he has just changed cars so I got a set of Nissan Nivara Leaf springs and torsion bars for nix ( no money) on the proviso that if he gets motivated and I have some left he can get some back.
Not a bad effort for the weekend.

DSC00020.JPG
stopped by some tracks at random on the way back from Yesteryear's event yesterday. Just walked a section of it from where one road crossed it to the next. about halfway between, came up with a caliper (I guess). WAY heavy, had to hoist it up on the track and slide it back to the truck. I'm going to use it as an upsetting block until I can take it to the scrapyard to trade it for something nice, hopefully.

I picked up a hand-cranked blower and firepot this weekend! 'Drove just under 1300 miles roundtrip, so I don't know that you could necessarily say that it followed me home; more like it was dragged kicking and screaming. I bought these items on ebay and I've been blessed with another great find!

The trip was two-fold it also allowed a buddy and me to blow off some steam. If you're ever in the Twin Cities, and you're up for a little entertainment, you should check The Shout House Dueling Rock and Roll Piano Bar. It was a blast! It's not for everyone, but we had a great time.

I actually picked the blower and firepot up, in Wisconsin Rapids. It seemed like a fine little town, and the gentleman I purchased the blower from was very helpful. The drive from northern Missouri was pleasant, if a bit snowy, and we saw some beautiful country especially as we cut east on I-90.