I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I am finally the proud owner of a 1900 100# fisher anvil. 

The face is nice and flat with many years of work done on her. Some worn edge chipping as expected. 

Also got a bar stock snipper for an extra $30. (All i had left in my wallet) he had thrown out $75. And I couldn't justify that. Made an offer and he agreed.

Turns out he got the anvil for free from a scrapper. Glad he saved it from the scrap and I had a chance to buy it at a fair price.

20220723_174427.thumb.jpg.fad09ca97cb00a8c1895f35ef33dfba7.jpg

20220723_205525.thumb.jpg.283e224a179976b77acf4ae2cb5c76f9.jpg

20220723_205522.thumb.jpg.61a9ef1f9a9fd455551ddbe0652e6eaa.jpg

20220723_174438.thumb.jpg.f3e2056c2490cf4afb5172a563e7b65f.jpg

20220723_205541.thumb.jpg.b225b0210b634da887c1249887a71e99.jpg

20220723_205549.thumb.jpg.44ba6c5dd30ccc407d08791b9cf7709c.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks John. Just looked up what they are asking for them online.  I guess the $75 asking price wasn't too crazy.

The nub that holds the length stopper is broken but that isnt a big deal. Could either repair it or more likely make a simple work around for lengths. 

Das, congratulations great job on both. You’re going to enjoy the Fisher, I have one with good face and edges, but the heel is broken off 1/2 way through the hardy, 112# left. Enjoyed working on it, It was my first anvil and I was fixing to build a portable hardy for it when I was given a 136 Mousehole so I set it on the side until I get my portable forge set up.

Das, I have that same rod shear (see my post from December I think - in the followed me home thread) and I bolted it to a plate with a short piece of square tube welded to the bottom.  I clamp it in the vise when I need to use it and tuck it away when not needed.  I used it today and it cuts nice and clean.   The "blades" are 1" thick so add an inch when you measure and make your chalk mark then slide the bar into the mark.   I made a 5/8" piece of rebar fit for the handle.   I had passed it up the first day of the estate sale as they wanted $50 for it and later that evening I was regretting that I didn't buy it.  I went back on Sunday when they were taking offers on stuff and I was guessing it would be gone but there it was.  $20 and it was mine.

Thanks Les. A portable forge isn't too hard to make and there are many ways to build them. The more it breaks down for compact moving and storage, the better.  That will make a good portable anvil. And if you make a portable vise setup you are good.

You did great on yours Gazz. It was meant to be. I'm sure we all have regrets on not getting something when we first saw it and it wasn't there when we came back. It is always nice when is is still there, And you get it at a better price. Frosty is right. 

Still need to clean up the fisher and build it a stand. On a positive note its hardy hole is about the same size as my 91# mouse hole anvil I use for my portable setup, so that's less tooling I need to make. 

Thomas, the mouse hole anvil is quieted just enough for drawing in interest to the pitter patter of hammering. 

I'll see what I end up using the Fisher as but I know it will be used as an anvil lol.

I got it wire wheeled and clear coated with VHT flameproof paint today.  

Chad, that looks like a nice vise. Well worth the price in my opinion. Even at 200, can't buy new for close that. 

How is the screw and box?

It feels like more than 70 but not much.   The screw and box are great.   No visible makers marks.  The guy I bought it from had to many hobbies and was giving up smithing.   Told him he could come visit the vice if he wanted. 

Aric,  I used to clamp one handle of my biggest bolt cutters in a vise and use a stock stand for small stuff and chop away.  I don't like chop and band saws for some stuff.  Too dirty and ones to slow.  Of course I never had a shears.  I'm keeping an eye peeled for one now.  Does it do 3/8 easily like the internet says?  Nice anvil.

Before going over it i tried a piece. The shear was on a board on the ground. It was starting to shear it when I ran out of leverage. I'll try it again once I get it mounted. 

I really just see me using it for smaller stuff than 3/8" but if it shears it easy enough I'll use it. 

Scrapyard Run: 81 pounds out, some sucker rod a few old license plates, a set of crimpers for electrical work (realized I needed a pair when I was replacing the lugs for my mower blade sharpener cord), 1 foot of RR Rail, a couple of pieces of fence and a fence pole for a neighbor---the one that loaded me down with fresh ripe homegrown peaches, and a new trash can for the shop:

KIMG0182.thumb.JPG.4f6cde494fcb7c0e1f60d92984fe8ff6.JPG

Unfortunately(?) it came empty.

Reminds me of a friend back in Ohio; he worked as a powder monkey for Battelle and when it came time to move he had a large stack of heavy double and triple walled boxes, wax impregnated that he used to move his collection of used artillery cases...The neighbors called the cops after watching him carry box after heavy box labeled "High Explosives" into the basement of his new place.   He ended up having a great discussion with the cops and showed them some of his rare and unusual examples.  I don't know what the neighbors ended up thinking...

Got a nice sized I beam from the scrap at work.   Trying to figure out how to cut it to make a stand for my new post vice.  Also got a box with 20 pair of 00 diamond horseshoes from Centaur for various quick and fun projects to help make my next craft fair more profitable.  

Horse shoe hearts sell well. Also making horse heads on the ends and making them into hearts. I rarely keep them on the table long. Here are some with hooks I added but usually make them without the hook and tie a string from the two upper nail holes so they can be hung up. 

They always very when I make them so they are all pretty unique. 

20200304_224617.thumb.jpg.ee5c1a433ed2e25726c0fcb49deb2e7a.jpg