• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A propane leak is much more dangerous than most other flammable gasses like acet. Acetylene is lighter than air and dissipates quickly where propane is heavier and settles into low spots waiting for a spark, say a bit of steel shaving on your shoe scraping across concrete or gravel. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, no, but manufacturer, serial number, and any dates might define it's origin.  I suspect that it is USN origin because of the gray paint. If it is of WW2 vintage it could be associated with either the old battleships Arkansas or Wyoming or the large cruisers Alaska or Guam.  There may be a military museum which would be interested but I suspect the cost might be prohibitive, particularly the cost of transportation but you never know.

Thx.

GNM 

Hmmm… I know a couple owner operators that are always lookin for a return load so they don’t come back empty, I wonder what they’d me charge to haul that thing? Lol 

The Problem would be unloading it once it got here!

I know I ain’t got nothin that’d move it… have to call in someone with some big boy toys to come help!

made the first ever trip to the scrap yard with my father as we are cleaning out the shop they only payed 180 a ton on steel we had some other stuff but only came around 250 got a damaged oxy tank and going to make some dishing forms with it IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.f50b832cfba197d9916e29f9f060cb58.JPG

also grabbed a Kanca 50 anvil on sale as I've heard good about their vices before purchase i tested rebound with a 3/8 bearing ball and its good 80-95% at $800 i thought it wouldn't be a bad grab as I've seen no old anvils locally.

brought it home and tested it with a small ballpeen starting about 4 inches and light blows there are visible marks in the face (images left large to see) and a 800G hammer was flattening the edges while taking small nicks to the face I'm trying to decide if i should retun it and wait for something better or use this it is definitely forged 2 pieces and welded together base may be cast 

IMG_0486.thumb.JPG.24a22c38686ef9bd69f1e802d3d18937.JPG IMG_0493.thumb.JPG.ef40c60657472552fe250ca0ac78c590.JPG IMG_0496.thumb.JPG.47ea28badfccea9568d9a92772c11781.JPG

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.8f760dc7cea9235068563189b55e133a.JPG

Edited by M.J.Lampert

I don't know what kind of trailer they'd need to haul it but chaining it and nocking the chocks out would probably let it roll off a low boy parked on a tilted surface easily enough. I have no idea how much damage rolling something that heavy off a trailer would do though. 

Wouldn't be a cheap haul but I'll bet you could find a carrier. Loading won't be cheap either.

Let us know what the bidders say, please.

Deb would kill me for requesting a bid. She didn't kill me for buying the slip case "Call of Cthulhu 7" set but I'm not pushing it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Short visit to the scrapyard, only 37 pounds out and what with emptying the scrap bucket going in; US$5 got me out the door with the following:

KIMG0090.thumb.JPG.832ee423f16501028ac2487a986de3a1.JPG

Notice the large broken link of real wrought iron, the Pulaski, bearing races and a nice small C clamp.  The carpenter's square will become a hook rule for the next Iron in the Hat. (The license plate will be the roof for a bird house---over the wooden one of course as I prefer to cook my eggs in a cast iron skillet!)

George, I did spend a few minutes upside down looking at stampings on the breech: 1908,  12", Breech Mechanism Mark VI Mor 2, Wt 1590 Lbs, INSPR GSG, Mid Vale, and an anchor stamped into the mechanism.  Does this help any?

List of battleships of the United States Navy - Wikipedia

that could be off anything between B-26 to B-29 (south Carolina or Delaware classes) or put on a later ship (florida or Wyoming class

though these where mainly deconstructed on the Atlantic side

more likely they where rail mounted which explains how they got to new mexico

12-inch gun M1895 - Wikipedia

I am not well versed in these subjects but this would make sense if I'm wrong please correct me

M.J.Lampert

28AB68F0-7778-4D37-ADE4-DECA19BEE9D9.thumb.jpeg.d2180355ba4e6eba7791081d86cb4b92.jpeg

601D08BC-FC8F-413E-9D2A-744CF0036406.thumb.jpeg.6ed8935bca89c4d58aacc8def7d5a5ab.jpegHad another anvil show up at the shop today, 

130 pound mouse hole, face is broke on the heel an the the front right belt the step down,

also someone has lodged a cut off hardy in there that was not the correct size, I shot some areo kroil to it and wicked it with a sledgehammer but that dude don’t wanna move! Lol

the remaining face has good rebound an it rigs like a bell, 

guy was cleaning up his dad’s estate and brought it over here to see what I’d give him, I offered $1 a pound an he accepted,

Paid a little to much an It’s not perfect but it’s usable,

48 minutes ago, M.J.Lampert said:

B-26 to B-29 (south Carolina

I have a picture of the South Carolina as far as I could research that I got after my grandfather passed.  It is copyright 1910 from O.W.Waterman. 

My grandfather on my mothers side was in the navy around WWII time. No idea if it was just something he had or if it had any significance. 

20200920_120051.thumb.jpg.2a092bdd7794a13902e452922997bb3f.jpg

20200920_115902.thumb.jpg.7050ee124e1489b671bea8ad129cf5c8.jpg

20200920_214039.thumb.jpg.aca9c711166c9bca8b093f23ef871f0d.jpg

MJ, 12" guns were used on both dreadnaught and pre-dreadnaught battleships of the US Navy from the 1890s to about 1912-13.  They were also used on the Alaska class largre cruisers in late WW2.  

The US Army also used 12" guns for coastal defense from the 1880s to through WW2.  

However, the gun in question has a large bracket above the breech with 2 large holes in which was part of the recoil system.  Most of the US Army 12" guns were mounted on disappearing carriages which did not have this.  However, the M1912 barbette carriage had recoil cylinders on top of the barrel but when you compare this gun with photos of the guns on Corregidor the holes in the recoil bracket appear further apart on the gun in the Philippines.

So, my guess is that because of this and the traces of gray paint it is of USN origin. 

The last 12" gunned USN battleships were the USS Arkansas and the USS Wyoming.  The Arkansas was sunk during the atomic tests at Bikini Atoll in 1946 and the Wyoming had the last of her 12" guns removed in 1944.  The cruisers Alaska and Guam were broken up on the east coast about 1960.

So, and this is, as they say in the legal profession, "mere speculation," I suspect that this gun was either from one of the WW2 cruisers or was a spare barrel for them.  If Thomas is able to find any markings on the breech it might narrow down the origin and history of the gun.

This is probably more detail than anyone was expecting but when I get on a military history nerd roll I can go on a bit.

GNM 

Thomas, just read your post.  This means that is definitely a USN gun.  1908 is likely the year of manufacture.  So, it could be off one of the older battleships scrapped after WW1.  Or a spare barrel for one of them.

Thanks, that is a great help.

I asked a trucker I know, an who came by the shop yesterday

how much it would cost to send a truck out there to around Albuquerque an back here to peavine to haul something ridiculous heavy an he ask how much it weighs I said I dunno but probably more than a big dozer lol,

he laughed an said at a minimum with fuel prices right now it’d be at least $2000,

he kept bugging me to tell him what it was an I told him a battleship cannon… he busted out laughing lol, 

on a completely different note I asked him about hauling a rail car of coal, and told him it’s ruffly 78 tons, 

he said he knows the local rail master for Kansas City southern, and he’s done business with him and he said we could get it parked on a local spur not far from here, 

I’d have to rent or borrow some kinda portable conveyor/auger type thingamagig that goes under the rail cars hopper?

to load their end dump trailer,

he said they could haul it here in about three loads and it wouldn’t cost much at all,

might be an option to look into Sometime

Billy, some cars haul a whole lot more coal than that, and if you contract a flat car for that cannon barrel you may get a discount. 

Passers by on the highway may wonder what you are up to if you store that pile of coal next to the barrel by the road.  I don't know if Thomas ever said how long it is....

Billy, I think buying and transporting that gun to your place and mounting it pointed down the road with a NO SPEEDING sign on it would get you in the papers. Any publicity is good publicity you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

23 hours ago, George N. M. said:

MJ, 12" guns were used on both dreadnaught and pre-dreadnaught battleships of the US Navy from the 1890s to about 1912-13.  They were also used on the Alaska class largre cruisers in late WW2.  

The US Army also used 12" guns for coastal defense from the 1880s to through WW2.  

and once again i learned more in three minutes from you George than half a dozen Wikipedia pages and an hour 

thanks sir

though in my searches it appears the Wyoming had all her guns removed in Philadelphia 

another neat side-note Omaha beach was the first time the USS Arkansas ever fired in anger at 05:52 June 6 1944

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.