• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you keep it, in ten years you will have moved that cobblers tool hundreds of times but never used it for anything save for a weight to hold something down during a glue up or maybe to fix a shoe.  It's an interesting hunk of metal though.

Or tripped over it once and broke my neck....  Seriously, you are probably right.  I'll see if I can sell or trade it for a profit.  Maybe I could take it back to the flea market in a month or two and see if he will buy it back for $3. :)  

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Works better for a statue of the Tin Man. 

I'd be lion to you if I said that it didn't take me all day to figure that one out.  :)

There's always the "sorry, already sold; but do you know how to get blood out of a cement floor?  I mean really really good, so that it doesn't show up no matter what some folks do?"  reply.

I had a friend that used to give me 8' pieces of rail every time I visited him---old cattle guard and you know what it means when an older person starts giving away their "good stuff".  I remember accepting short chunks of rail as change at the fleamarket US$3 for a foot back in the 1990's.  I feel that selling a 2' chunk for US$100 as an "anvil" is just a scam---though not as bad as the fellow selling I beam with one end torched to a point as "anvils".

Could be.  I knew a guy that thought he knew it all and he was dangerous.  Constantly cross threading bolts, snapping off spark plugs, tipping over engine hoists and catching things on fire.  He would grab a wrench or ink pen out of your hand, saying "let me show you something..."   But he meant well and had a good heart.  Last I heard he was experimenting with oil burning furnaces with the idea of selling them.

Between fighting off the post-covid blahs and working on yard toys for my grandchildren I haven't been doing much in the forge. To day a relative gave me a heads-up that a rental place was selling out (after a lot of Hurricane Ida damage) so I dropped by to see what I could pick up. I hope that straight peen isn't the one John is missing. Old O2 bottles are destined for gongs. I already had a letter stamp kit, but this one is larger.

While I was out I decided that waiting for right and left lay cable to be found as scrap might take a while, so I went to Paducah Rigging and bought 10 ft each of 7/8" left and right lay cable. Should be enough for a plethora or two of cable  feather Damascus blades 

lift.jpg.3063c71062a31f42db22c30c98aefb2d.jpg

rightleftcable.jpg.c16e177544cc8661ba92e9c88c6f01a3.jpg

1506154832_hammercollection.jpg.6e43fc0efe1a32147262db6ecc9ef75e.jpg

21 hours ago, Nodebt said:

"I" beam torch cut to a point to look like a "horn"?  It would be funny, but that's just downright unscrupulous

I recently saw an I beam with a piece of lumber on either side being sold as an anvil on a Facebook page. It said the wood was for added mass and it had excellent rebound $75.00 firm. I've also recently seen a few tiny pieces of rail poorly cut to resemble a London pattern anvil offered for over a hundred bucks.

Pnut

Used to see VCR "bricks" sold out of trunks in mall parking lots.

We get anvils from Mexico that were cast using real anvils for mold making---Peter Wright, Hay Budden, etc.  They are cast from whatever was left in the ladle at the end of the day and so range in alloy quality, no heat treat, no pritchel hole and sometimes a very large mold line right down the *FACE* of the anvil.  I've seen them sold as "antiques" at upper end of prices due to their "condition".  Most have very low rebound.

20 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

Pnut, I bet it was particle board

It looked to be 6x6 dimensional lumber like you'd use for the legs on a deck. 

I remember that scam too. For some reason it seemed like they were always driving around in vans. When I lived in San Francisco in the early nineties some people tried it on me a couple times. 

Pnut

Nope just 2x4's. 

41RVo-i65vL._AC_SY580_.jpg

And to think I cobbled up two firewood racks using RR rail for the bottom rails, 4 8' long pieces.  All those anvils, all that money!  I could have hung my head down and cried all the way to the bank... I did give my grandsons a short piece of rail to bang on as a "starter". I expect/hope it will be used to straighten nails for a couple of years.