• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting and thanks.   There is a fellow at my new job that wears them working around industrial vibrators that shake plate steel.  The sound is horrendous and you can feel it in your body.  I have wondered about these things for a while and today I asked him about them and he said he's worn them for quite a while with no issues.  I tested him by whispering something behind his back....  :)

Yes in that environment I would expect you have to YELL their name and poke them with a sharp stick!

Sound cancelling works because electronics work closer to the speed of light which is much faster than the speed of sound and so you can get ahead of the soundwave and issue one 180 deg out of phase to "cancel" it.   (Remember the difference when you count seconds between lightening and thunder?)

20 Oak leaf blanks followed me home today. They are 150mm (6 inch) high by 3mm (1/8th) thick. The plan is to feather the edges, add veins, curl them a bit like a real leaf. round off the stem and curl it up as a coat hook. 

One of my suppliers has a laser cutter and he knocked them out cheap for me as a favour. 

I'm busy building a new bench and steel rack so it will be a while before I get to them but I will post the finished results in the what I did today thread. 

PXL_20210922_161250726.jpg

A few years ago we got quite a few lightning storms and it's rare to hear distant thunder here. A tree was struck between our place and a neighbor down the hill about 120'. I was awake watching out the window, I've always loved thunderstorms. 

I felt the close strike before I saw/heard it. Well I heard it too, my hair stood on end and I heard a strong buzz that turned to a crackle then CRACK/FLASH BOOM. Shook the house and sent birch splinters flying for a ways. 

Jan our neighbor had my phone ringing in seconds, she thought it might have hit our house. It struck directly between our places, my view of her dining room window was one birch tree more clear.

WAY too close!

Frosty The Lucky.

Again with the birch trees!

Our back neighbor had an oak tree hit by lightning a few years back; my son saw it happen from his bedroom window about fifty feet away. Another oak about half a mile away was taken out by lightning around the same time, and a friend with a portable sawmill turned it into some beautiful lumber.

5-6 years ago I was setting on the front pourch drinking a cup of coffee before work one morning and watching a storm roll through, when all the sudden lightning hit the transformer and then hit a big tulip poplar 10 feet from the house, it was so bright it blinded me for a minute, that bolt threw bark an splinters 50 feet in every direction, 

we were afraid it was gonna kill the tree but it amazingly recovered and has been sealing back up ever since, 

D771202E-D6F7-4B6E-AA76-6FA909529343.jpeg

Back in Ohio we had the house and black locust tree hit by lightening. To add injury to insult it jumped to a cold water line in the basement and blew a hole in the pipe.  We were out and we got a call from the kids that it was "raining in the basement" and all the electronics were dead.  Luckily it was the line to the outdoor hose bib and there was a valve just 2' up the line that would close it off.

Chad; most smiths are not known for being able to conduct themselves well.

You just need the right formula to plug those values in.

(I'm going to have to stop, I'm getting too much static over trying to get my shop electrified.  My wife got a call yesterday asking if all the details were right because they were going to set the meter Friday.  She mentioned that they still have to dig and bury 100'+ of electric line then run it 91' through the conduit already buried and connect to the transformer before they set the meter and they told us that they will have the estimate of when they will START a week from Friday.  I've already trimmed the trees where we will have to park and go in the other house door as they will be trenching over 3 driveways on the main entry side of the house.)