I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A rubber refinery sounds very hot. The hottest place I worked at was a cereal factory. I worked on the 4th floor which was the ovens. Room was a constant 96 degrees which got much hotter the closer you got to the ovens. Around the ovens it could be upwards of 120 degrees if you were on the end by the burners. No AC to speak of aside from the operators office (which I wasn't allow in) but we did have fans scattered everywhere to help a little bit. Only real reprieve was going into the back hallway by the freight elevator which was low/mid 80s which felt wonderful after being by the ovens.

You would not believe how messy, dusty and sometimes nasty cereal can be. I also learned that when cereal powder gets wet, it pretty much becomes concrete. I still can't really stand to eat cereal :wacko:

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just about any product is nasty on an industrial level. Vulcan corp was in Clarksville TN. You wouldn't think that just going six hours south would make such a dramatic difference in the summer heat but any day in the summer that was below 95 degrees outside was a cool day believe it or not. The only place I've worked that was hotter was an aluminum casting plant and I was only there until a job opened at the rubber plant.  I'm eagerly awaiting autumn through spring. I don't know when I'll be firing the forge up again. Hopefully the weather breaks soon. I think I'm just a couple hours south of you Sin. I'm outside of Cincinnati so the weather is pretty close to what you've been having. 

Pnut

I've done my time in a hot factory; Whirlpool, Fort Smith AR, un air conditioned and I worked on an open mezzanine level above the ovens used to bake the foam insulation in the refrigerators and freezers.  Physical job too. (They did have fans blowing the hot air on you...)

Short on sleep today.  Wife had car trouble around midnight and I'm down on sleep by 1/3.  VERY thankful it was easy and close to home!

I hope to get to the scrapyard tomorrow and go wild as they were closed last Saturday and I'll be at a day long demo next Saturday...getting ready for cooler weather!

2 hours ago, SinDoc said:

Went down through cinnci and down through Kentucky on I-75.

You drove right past my place then. I'm about a mile from the expressway past where 71/75 splits. Did you see any signs for the Ark Encounter? I'm one exit north of that. Yeah after Covington and Florence it turns into tiny towns and farms. Not much to see. I live on Dixie Highway. 

Pnut

I dont recall any signs for that but I wasn't exactly paying attention as I had to get to the bottom of the state before noon lol and was on autopilot most of the way. We were on our way down to the very bottom of Kentucky to the wifes uncle in Williamsburg. I could not live in an area like that. Theres nothing around lol.

Haven't been doing well lately and not much I can do around the shop so I went down to the scrap yard today. Did very well. All that wire rope has 1/4" strands. That's a lot of hooks. Some long chain pins about 5/8" dia. Piece of bandsaw blade, some rebar and piece of shaft for another anvil sub.

20210827_113818.thumb.jpg.90a6efcc6080490a7d97307e6a0eb7c6.jpg

Also picked up a few of these. Didn't know what they were but figured it out. Planer blades from the sawmill about a mile down the road. Best I can find is they are hss. Anybody used these before? I could have gotten a truck load but didn't know what they were at the time. They're 28" long and very sharp.

20210827_113903.thumb.jpg.6028b4668407351b76df8e2d73d04cce.jpg

1 hour ago, SinDoc said:

I had to get to the bottom of the state before noon

I'm about thirty minutes south of the Ohio river. Closer to Cincinnati than Louisville. Holler if you make it through this way and have some time to spare. Might be able to turn some steel into scrap steelB)

Pnut

1 hour ago, SinDoc said:

I could not live in an area like that. Theres nothing around lol.

Or hop a jet north, we have a good patch of nothing for you and it's almost all green with scenery photographers come from all over the world for. That's it though, next neighbor might be only an hour ride in a float plane. 

Nice piece of bandsaw blade Randy, lots of useful stock there. I was given maybe 25 planer blades a couple years ago and discovered I have no way to work the things at all. As hot as my forge could get one the 50#LG couldn't touch it so I broke out the rosebud and at melting temp it either splashed or didn't move at all.

Tossed it in the water bucket at incandescent yellow and couldn't snap it with a 3lb hammer in the vise. It doesn't want to grind except on the blue wheel. No maker's marks so it's mystery alien alloy. These are still almost shaving sharp when they were changed out and tossed.

You're going to need to test to see what you picked up. I'll keep my eyes open for results. I doubt they're the same stuff but you never know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe I could use these UFO alloy planer blades for shrapnel if aliens invade. Hmmm.

Bummer about the fractures, I was picturing stock removal fillet knives or pattern welded billet stock. <sigh> 

The fellow who dropped the planer blades off brought me probably 60' of 1" mono steel metal cutting bandsaw blade. One of these days I'll have to see how it welds up. 

Frosty The Lucky.