Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Oh, and I might add, there were 4 forklift tongues there if anyone is looking to make an ASO !!!!!

Improvised anvils, not ASO.

An Anvil-Shaped Object is something that *looks* like an anvil, but doesn't perform as one.

Have fun,

Arthur

Not an ASO; an ASO is a cast iron object that looks somewhat like a london pattern anvil in shape but can't be used as one due to what it's made from; often sold to people as anvils by unscrupulous companies.  The tines would be good to make an improvised anvil---a totally different critter.

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

Oh, and I might add, there were 4 forklift tongues there if anyone is looking to make an ASO !!!!!

Oh lordy LORDY such a juicy typo to dangle in front of this barely controlled wise acre!!  "forklift TONGUES?!  In the very same sentence as "ASO"!?!?:o 

Aie yi YI! Chris, trying to get me banned? Well HAH on toast! Another of your nefarious plots is foiled, I'm just going to sit here and laugh out loud while the dogs look at me funny. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

You guys are unmerciful today.   My mind is on a million other things.  Forklift Tynes........or forks, which ever you want to call them.  Just don't screw up and call'em tongues or someone might brand your tongue with a hot tong. !   This is gettin' down right redickeweluss!

Ooh, ooh; I didn't know that was an option!  Now where are my tongs; lets see, I 25 to I 40, past Tucumcari, cross TX in a thin spot, then dive into OK---Chris, could you hold your tongue out for another 8 hours or so?  Don't worry we'll have an anvil sitting on dry ice so you can stick your tongue on that afterwards!

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, Thomas.  We lost electricity at 4:15 today.................you know how backwards Oklahoma is!  Just now came back on!  Anyway, you just come on any time.  You're welcome at my anvil and welcome in my home.................and yep, we can stay 6' apart.  Just to make Fauchi happy. <_<

OG&E, Don.  We lose electricity almost more than having a windy day in Norman.  I get sick of it.  I lost my electricity more in the first year I lived here than in all other places I've lived in my lifetime.  Gets to be a real pain in the.....................well, you know.

We have OG&E here as well. People do a much better job of keeping limbs away from the lines. In Purcell proper they do not. In the area we lived in when in Norman, all the lines were below ground. That helped quite a bit. 

OEC. Forgot OG&E was when in Norman. 

I've been begging for OEC for the past 21 years I've lived here.  OG&E refuses to let us change over.  There are only 11 of us on this branch.  No reason they can't let us go.  The folks right across the road all have OEC.  I was without electricity for 9 days after the '06 ice storm and the folks across the street had electricity the entire time.  When I first moved here in '99, I soon realized a generator was on my list of "must haves".  Just didn't have the funds.  Took my late wife to Houston for a weeks worth of treatments and when we drove into the driveway the garage door wouldn't open...............yup, no electricity.  Turns out we lost it the day we boarded the plane to head down there.  Everything in the refrigerator was ruined...............as was the refrigerator.  Of course, that's when I borrowed the money for a small generator and a new refrigerator.  (Sure wish I could win the lottery.............I'd install an automatic 20,00KW permanent generator that would kick on the minute OG&E decided to take a holiday.)  I bought another generator when I started camping in my little trailer, so we run two-2000watt generators when camping off-grid.  (gotta have my air-conditioning!) :D

Hooked up to their Internet 2 months ago and dumped AT&T for landline and Internet.  Was paying AT&T $165/month for those two services.  Now have OEC Internet for $50 a month.  Went to OEC Fiber Television yesterday and dumped AT&T's DTV.  Just need to get rid of OG&E.

My cousin came up from Colorado today and brought me my great grandfather's anvil. I'm pretty excited to put it to use!  It's in much better shape than I was expecting only slight chipping in the edges. In fact most of the edge is way too sharp for my liking and I'll probably grind a slight radius. I've never heard of the brand (Fulton) and can't find markings (besides a 9 on the web) to tell me what it weighs (I'm guessing 120-140#). So any help you guys could give me would be great!

A8415D6F-24BE-4AF1-A76C-519E887DD1AE.jpeg.05872725d8acbb78b75a26d79a1ad066.jpeg

7E9941FD-77C1-40CB-B5CD-C2E6B3912EC7.jpeg.6681e7d3bed7d74620f8c812fdf8257f.jpeg

89951BDB-FBFB-459D-AEF8-A8FC226A55B1.jpeg.b85ddeae257ab410693558d2d8279531.jpeg

CF364914-0444-4340-B8E8-FCA73C2B8222.jpeg.3aa32cbda1e8e50c4b64de587abafac1.jpeg

“FULTON" was a Sears & Robuck Trademark. Sears offered a Cast Steel anvil with the name FULTON on it between 1920-1923. The anvil was named after the street that ran in front of Sears main offices in Chicago, Illinois. Because Sears only sold these anvils for a short time, they are relatively scarce.“

Looks like a lovely anvil. Use it in good health!

Thanks !  It's cool to know that it's rare even though I'll never sell it.

I'm really curious what it weighs, but I don't have a scale....... I also don't have a ball bearing to test the rebound but I did drop my hammer on it with a limp wrist to check the action and it bounced pretty good. Hopefully I'll get to give it a good workout this week!

Chris, I was only speaking tong-in-cheek!

We lose power regularly out here; usually just small blips as most of the trees are much shorter than power poles around these parts.  High winds are what causes the issues. Getting the battery operated or battery backup clocks helped a lot but the stove and microwave still needs to be reset often.   Luckily out heat is thermonuclear with a a woodstove back up and for some strange reason we have a number of kerosene lanterns and lamps already.  Our kitchen stove is propane; makes it easier to drop back 100 years and continue living!

Back when I liven in Columbus OH I learned that when electricity started to be used in cities that the City had their own power plant and grid and the system was still in place and used for street lights and other "city" uses.  However any residential user could switch to the city grid if it went by their house.  Yup; city power went down the alleyway just behind our house and we switched as it was about 1/3 cheaper than the "commercial" supplier.

Followed me home awhile ago. On my way to Vernal UT we passed a machine shop In Duchesne Ut with a bunch of big steel drops sitting on their lot. On the way back we kept an eye out for the place so we could stop and ask about it. Well we thought we missed the mark and passed it. Fortunately it was another 50ish miles ahead of us. Stopped in right before the guys were about to clock out and I’m assuming “throw a few back”. Anyway, I told’em why I was interested and was able to trade 2 squash seedlings we had picked up from my Loves dad for this 4140 shaft. I also have some of dem bolts with matching square nuts I picked up at the recycle for free several months back. Crushed some perlite to see the markings.

144602AB-2A68-473B-91CC-9ADB22F12484.jpeg

B4D69C1D-2D7E-4097-889F-B5C55A564004.jpeg

44A988DB-8065-4256-B1E4-A7CF1203765A.jpeg

80A18606-A967-40F7-B30D-C0B53602F842.jpeg

59C9843D-0A4B-410A-919B-81C34DBBDAD5.jpeg

E8BE25B8-F287-4ECC-B63D-E9EC28BD3D95.jpeg