• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes; I don't think I would have bothered with the notch & break test on that one.

It's a bit sad that the coarser/lower grade the Wrought Iron is; the easier it is to identify.  The real high grade stuff is a dream to use but more difficult to identify in the scrap stream---so much so that I tend to test all "old" steel I pick up just in case.

A common method of recycling scrap iron was "busheling"  where the scrap was piled up and forge welded back into a single unit that was then worked.  As a side effect sometimes steel was incorporated and you can find specifications stating how much steel would be allowed in the WI for certain jobs.  I once found a rod that when I notched and broke it about 1/2 was WI and the other half steel---made a good showpiece on the difference in the break structure.

Some of my hammers:

.487172534_armour_rack_right(2).jpg.3397d7a7ff90a7ee97b405c9bf55b3e4.jpg

639246878_hammers7(2).jpg.0cedc8162b3e05e668ef4158aca4e5b3.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, Chris C said:

Now I'm on the hunt for some old cast iron window weights.  Haven't seen those in years, but I bet there are still some out there.

2047421982_sashweights.png.9c7934e85862755dc9634b5afc9f31d8.png

Here ya go, Chris. PM me if you want to come and get 'em, I'm about 4 miles W of Will Rogers airport.

ThomasPowers will confirm whether or not this one is, but he’s recommended them for dishing hammers before. This is one I made on that recommendation (shown here grinding up melted borax for flux); note the slight curve to the head and the angle at which it is set to the handle:

B4A0F006-A9F0-4B4D-9CBE-4877E3749208.jpeg

Albert collected many blacksmith tools and most of them went unused - he had his favorite go to stuff.  Not to say never, as every now and then a particular task might find a never before used tool pressed into service.

Yes; it's an old RR bolt. I was forging some Y1K cooking pots and needed a long neck hammer to get down into them for dishing without chipping through the handle with the edge.  I found that one bent to follow the arc of my swing was really nice for dishing when you start working the sides.  Also used for SCA armour Dishing.  For working cold I would sometimes leave a nut on for a bit more weight.  (I also would point out that the really really good armourers all seemed to be set up for working hot and a lot of folks wanting to be good dropped out of the craft from RSI...)

This is for all of you in the Oklahoma City area who are familiar with LA's Recycling. (only ones I know of are DHarris and Picker77

Was looking for some 3/4" rod to use in tong making.  Came across this container with a bunch of it.

20200625_111652.thumb.jpg.410d94169fe59bb5199a097d7949118f.jpg

This is what's inside the container.

20200625_121354.thumb.jpg.2420750f7f695a2edabd51097d9f1c13.jpg

Weighs 13.5 pounds.  Cost me $5.15 with tax.

The long arm is 60" and the support arm is 35".  If the material is any good, it ought to make quite a few pair of tongs.

No sir, just bare hot-rolled steel.  I chipped off some paint with the tip of my pocket knife at the salvage yard to check.  Guess I could go further and put paint remover on it to double check, but I really see no reason to do so.