• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much followed us home since the trash compactor stopped any steel bin diving.

Did pick up 2 old jack hammer bits for a dollar at the last BOA meeting. Then stopped by our steel supplier and got ten feet of 3/4 X 3 inch mild steel for dies that will be for the Smithing Magician Debi made.

100_1964.thumb.JPG.00eea86adba15a7cdb015ced65cb30b4.JPG

100_1963.thumb.JPG.26bf82cfcf0ddbf758182f9d622d60af.JPG

Nice finds. I like the post vise and hooks Farmall. 

Here is that gauge thing. I'm guessing it's for steam or pipe fitting similar to another tool I had found before. I'm not sure. On the other side of the name it says malleable iron. 

It's starting to look like sculpture potential. 

IMG_17062018_221915.jpg

As soon as I saw the better photo, I knew it wasn't a two hole pin. I googled the company name and found an old catalogue. I honestly didn't know what it was until I looked it up but dang it, I had to know. Not a lot of tools that I don't know at least what it's used for, so I had to find that one out. :lol:

If got bronze, bronze, bronze –about 110lbs. Exchange it for 60lbs pure lead and a delicious crat of Belgium beer;).  No idea how to get it in my A5 /16lbs crucible!? (smashing with the sledge hammer/cutting in suitable pieces with the grinder?? –with all the loss of grinding dust) Help ………………..

DSC00569.JPG

IMG_20171220_163100.jpg

Wrap bottom and sides in a blanket to contain the shards, use the towel or something thin for the impact area of the hammer so as not to cushion the blow.

Rather than trying to break it in half, consider, score and break to control the break direction and the chip size. Position the chip so it is unsupported with a fulcrum on the other side of the score line.  

Very nice to hear Das, I wish she have an even prosperous future as Lisa (15), my daughter and precious eye apple.

Lisa went to secondary art school after school holidays. After discovering ‘dyscalculic’ (like here father) she goes for arts and crafts. So she will never become a smart calculating business-woman but hopefully a creative soul with here foots on the ground (wish she mets jlp some day).

Regards, ‘Der’ Hans

DSC00320.JPG

33 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Rather than trying to break it in half, consider, score and break to control the break direction and the chip size. Position the chip so it is unsupported with a fulcrum on the other side of the score line.

In other words, (1) score it where you want it to break, (2) flip it over and support it somewhere other than where you want it to break, and (3) hit it on the back side of where you want it to break, thus:

C40C4E8C-0794-4660-B871-3198C6A5CE99.jpeg