I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Depends on if you can A. find what make it is or what it's for, or B. get good measurements and try to figure the style of end connectors to try to sell it.

C. who cares, might be more effort then it's worth, stick it in the resource pile, it's free steel and might be useful as one tube fits the other snug and could make a good adjustable "something". ;)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably more trouble than it's worth. A little online research tells me that the shaft is probably 1045-ish and the tube is likely to be around 1025. The interesting thing is that the tube is likely to be DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) rather than welded, so I'm wondering if I have any applications that that would be good for.

2 hours ago, bajajoaquin said:

(I tried to just quote the text of the anvil post above, but I could either get all the pics or nothing at all)

If you highlight what you want to quote, a quote this button pops up and the highlighted part will be quoted without anything else.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:10 PM, blacksmith-450 said:

I trade this little one for 3 bottles of wine... :)

It will be my first Gunther repair attempt....

Is this the one?

On 8/27/2011 at 9:09 PM, lordcaradoc said:

Today, I went to pick up a free working treadmill I found on Craigslist. Being older, I plan on eventually cannibalising it for the motor and speed control on a 2x72 knife grinder. While I was there, I found they had been cleaning out their shop getting ready to move and there was a treasure trove of other things they gave me as well.

Treadmill
Splitting maul
Axe
two splitting wedges
Pick head
Three Fire Extinguishers (two that work and the third that might be rechargable)
A small table saw with a broken table (the motor is still good.)
A campfire cooking set (toasting fork, stand and pot rest)
a big heavy-duty bench vise
an iron casting ladle
a cast-iron griddle
a cast iron casserole dish (?) I've never seen one of these before
A large saw blade
a small bullet level
various small blocks of mild steel (I think) and a short chunck of 2”x4” tubing
a cherry stair tread and another block of cherry.

post-9322-0-13001800-1314493708_thumb.jppost-9322-0-02318100-1314493717_thumb.jppost-9322-0-24559600-1314493730_thumb.jppost-9322-0-46157200-1314493750_thumb.jppost-9322-0-93623100-1314493765_thumb.jp

And a partridge in a pear tree.

The husband of one of my coworkers runs a dive shop and just sold me a scuba tank that failed hydrostatic testing. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I may be getting a commission for some bowls, and it would be nice to have a good dishing form. 

7DEDBB17-22E6-4C46-AC2E-7D4841D3E426.jpeg

He’s got a pretty sweet deal with his scrap guy, but charged me what he usually gets paid. It’s more than I would have liked to spend, but I’m thinking of it as a tooling expense rather than raw materials.

1 hour ago, Exo313 said:

Hey, is that hammer head on its handle upside down? Or maybe my head's the one on upside down?

I think that's what he meant by "collectors configuration". See that a lot on "rare" DE razors when they put the baseplate on upside-down.