I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Thank you very much, I did not know any of that!

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well they are not good for rough work as they jam easily; but you can still see the same type in use on some golf greens.

The downsizing is a stressful time for families as many people may have strong attachments to the same items.  On the other hand what is worse---I wasn't present when my Grandparents auctioned off their farm and *many* childhood memories were sold for almost nothing!

To be fair cylinder mowers were not designed for rough work, that was their point. You had sheep and/or minions with scythes for that.

Triple and more gang cylinder mowers are still used for town parks, sports fields, football and cricket pitches over here. Walk behind cylinder's for the actual cricket wicket, tennis courts and bowling greens of course...and for many domestic lawns too. Though most people settle for a rotary mower finish for their gardens now it is true...the old tale about the American tourist and the 400 years to achieve and maintain a decent lawn has gone by the wayside!

Alan

I I look out over several thousand square miles of desert behind my casita I am happy in the knowledge that No Blade of Grass will grow without massive amounts of irrigation (and that water is hoarded for the cotton fields and pecan orchards in front of the casita)

12 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I I look out over several thousand square miles of desert behind my casita I am happy in the knowledge that No Blade of Grass will grow without massive amounts of irrigation (and that water is hoarded for the cotton fields and pecan orchards in front of the casita)

The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing?

Springers who spring to see over verdant pasture. Well I think they are springing...can't see for the grass.

Fortunately for me it is several thousand square yards rather than miles, and I leave most of it to cut and make hay after the orchids have set their seeds.

Alan

ps If I had said Great Danes, people might have thought I was exaggerating...

Lots of birds, I was watching the Gambel quail this morning and humming birds, kestrels and Harris hawks, (and yes I know the Death of Grass AKA No Blade of Grass)

Now if I want a verdant pasture.  My neighbor to the north bout the 5 acres associated with my house originally and laser leveled it and grows alfalfa for his horses.  Verdant green, good for the bees, and *he* pays for the water, mowing, upkeep! Only downside is his 9" well pipe has a dedicated diesel engine for the pump. Luckily it's away from the boundary and on the blank side of our house.

16 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

They are moving, and it is quite sad,

I hear you LBS, we are in the process of moving my parents from their home of forty-six years.

Thought you might enjoy following behind this self-propelled pinnacle of reel mower technology:

20170422_120139.jpg

Unfortunately, I have to cut MY grass with a mattock........

Oh, and some fine benches, fellows.

oh man Anachronist58 talk about fancy! B)

That's a neat mower Mr. Evans! I'm kinda surprised the lawnmower is as early as 1830, but I guess there was still grass that was a growin.... It doesn't seem like that one is much different than the one I got, I would have thought it would have improved more over the 100 years at least.

Littleblacksmith

25 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

That should be in a museum somewhere. 

20 minutes ago, Alan Evans said:

but apart from the BS

Das, estate sales are a bittersweet affair for me. This man's work suddenly stopped some years ago, and was left undisturbed up to the time of the sale. I hope I can honor his memory somehow. Lucky he parked it beneath the eaves of his pole barn.....

Alan: Indeed the pinnacle of technology is the helical reel cage as it scizzes across the shear bar.

I have several old push reels (It's hard to keep my fingers out), but the one you have pictured, is outstanding in its field :rolleyes:

Edited by Anachronist58

I hear ya Robert. I had one like the one LBS got years ago but sold it when I was in hard times. Years later I picked up another older one at auction because the price was right. They are really neat. 

Wow Alan, it's always great to learn some history and get to see it as well. Thanks. 

I'm surprised they didn't start out horse driven. 

Not if you train them to go out front. You steer them with arm motions. Right arm out they turn left, left out they turn right. Both out they go straight to stop them drop your arms to your side. You don't have to walk with your arms out all the time, once they're moving they'll keep going with occasional breaks to crop some greenery. Same for goats and it'll work a few hundred feet away with goats. You can call them too.

They'll follow you too, no problem, especially if you're the one who feeds and waters them.

The secret is having them like you, just be nice and occasionally give them a treat or dinner. And ALWAYS call them for the treat or feeding.

Herd dogs are mostly to keep the flock together and protect them. A good herd dog is a joy to watch.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Lots of birds, I was watching the Gambel quail this morning and humming birds, kestrels and Harris hawks, (and yes I know the Death of Grass AKA No Blade of Grass)

Now if I want a verdant pasture.  My neighbor to the north bout the 5 acres associated with my house originally and laser leveled it and grows alfalfa for his horses.  Verdant green, good for the bees, and *he* pays for the water, mowing, upkeep! Only downside is his 9" well pipe has a dedicated diesel engine for the pump. Luckily it's away from the boundary and on the blank side of our house.

Oh, I love the sweet smell of an alfalfa field.  Some hay fever sufferers may not agree with me, however.

Yeah but most are hoax videos, a few of the earlier ones spelling words and making patterns are real though. 

Oh yeah the smell of fresh cut alfalfa is delicious on rare occasions a field would go to flower and that's yummy too but in flower it's a nightmare for allergic folk.

Frosty The Lucky.