I Forge Iron

It followed me home

And 202!

I tried to switch to the next page but not yet.

Well I actually have something to say here :)

Hit two scrapyards today searching for some SS. Didn't find what I wanted but took some SS flat stock, some wrought or maybe wrought, a bunch of beaten up hammerheads (incl. a 11 pounder), 3 old axes, and some old milling cutter tools. Not bad, but SS costs, so better to do something nice from it and sell away...

Best:

Gergely

Edited by Gergely
mishap

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took some pictures because it's not fair without it.

575ec00ec688d_hammersandaxes.thumb.jpg.c

The wide headed axe is in mint condition, only some cleaning and re-handling needed. It might pay for the whole lot... The two small axes need to be draw out, they have enough material left in them though. 

Todays quiz: How can one beat up a 3 kg/6,5 lb  hammer so nicely?

575ec02c025c9_millingcutters.thumb.jpg.a

The cutters. I just noticed there's a drill stuck in a Morse what's-its-name. Bottom left.

575ec03257c7e_miscitems.thumb.jpg.5a2469

WI and maybe WI. And a good rasp.

575ec0252da54_flatSS.thumb.jpg.e6f5c63d9

Mostly 1 1/4 x 3/8 (30x10 mm) flat SS stock, the longest being about a yard.

went to an auction yesterday and scored some goodies. i got about 10 pounds worth of band saw blades for a buck, id guess about 50 lbs of files for 10$ all of them that i can read labels on are either nickelson, johnson, and sunflower? not sure what im going to do with all of them but if figured i couldn't pass up the deal. also, in the box were some huge nickelson bastard files, and ferriers rasps. not sure of the rasp brands.

does anyone have any ideas on some projects i can do with the larger files?

also i found a huge box of old pipe wrenches, all American made including 2- 24" rigid pipe wrenches, and probably the biggest monkey wrench ive ever seen all for 20$

I even scored a snapon 1/4in ratchet for a dollar, some old needle nose pliers i'm going to make into scrolling tongs, and a small machinist vise.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

7 hours ago, Scobb said:

does anyone have any ideas on some projects i can do with the larger files?

Hi,

How about filing something with them? :) Those big files are pretty good for shaping. And that rasp on the picture is an excellent hot rasp. Put a handle on it and try some hot filing - that's gonna be fun!

Seriously if I were you I'd pick all the files with usable blades first, and put them to use as files. The rest... tools, knives, rasptiles and stuff

I will sometimes use files as the center layer of a san mai knife if I've been experimenting with a pattern welded pattern but not real happy with it's C content after a lot of folding and welding.  (it *DECREASES* the carbon content generally folks!) I really like the OLD black diamonds with their 1.2%C to juice up a billet too.

18 hours ago, Gergely said:

Hi,

How about filing something with them? :) Those big files are pretty good for shaping. And that rasp on the picture is an excellent hot rasp. Put a handle on it and try some hot filing - that's gonna be fun!

Seriously if I were you I'd pick all the files with usable blades first, and put them to use as files. The rest... tools, knives, rasptiles and stuff

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I will sometimes use files as the center layer of a san mai knife if I've been experimenting with a pattern welded pattern but not real happy with it's C content after a lot of folding and welding.  (it *DECREASES* the carbon content generally folks!) I really like the OLD black diamonds with their 1.2%C to juice up a billet too.

Thanks fellas,

they will all go in my newly converted "smithy" along side my new forge. pics to come later. wont hurt them to collect a bit more dust while i figure out what im going to do with all of them haha.

I really do like the big ones, now that i think about it i cant see myself turning them into a mangled pile of scrap while i try to make something i know nothing about. ill stick to leaves, hooks, and tongs for now. :)

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

drill a 1/4" or smaller hole through a solid center golf ball and ram it on their tangs and then hang them up on a garden rake head mounted on the wall of a dry location

What a great file storage and handle idea.  Going to steal that one.

My grandfather recently sent me home with an old simplex vise.  It was kind of beat up, rusty, dirty, and had been welded at least once. It wasn't one of his good ones, and he couldn't remember where it came from. He said it just showed up in the yard. I took it home and broke it down. Then packed it off to work to become a government project in the blasting cabinet. It cleaned up well, I painted it with some pretty good quality(meaning more expensive than I usually spend on) spray paint. After that paint set up, I put the lettering on. Forgot to take a before pic, but here it is.

IMG_20160622_212545156.jpg

IMG_20160622_212448594.jpg

Believe it or not it does actually close even with all of the weld on it.

17 minutes ago, jimmy seale said:

Gergely, Thay Morse taper with the bit in it. can be taken out with a wedge driven in the slot at the end of it.

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to save. The drill bit has no "tail" on it which would have made it easier to knock it out from the taper. After trying to free the bit in a bunch of ways I went for saving the bit and sacrifice the taper. Cut off the end of the taper and that way was able to knock the bit out. 

After all I have a 31,5 mm drill bit in usable condition. Just have to weld that tail kind of ending on it to easen its loosening next time. I have no more Morse4 tapers to sacrifice

Bests:

Gergely

On 26/06/2016 at 6:14 AM, Gergely said:

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to save. The drill bit has no "tail" on it which would have made it easier to knock it out from the taper. After trying to free the bit in a bunch of ways I went for saving the bit and sacrifice the taper. Cut off the end of the taper and that way was able to knock the bit out. 

For future reference: You need only find a bolt, nut or similar of a suitable size to drop into the drift slot and sit against the sank of the drill, then use your drift (first tool I made as an aprentice fitter/turner) to remove as nornal, if it's still stubourn then a light heat to the tail of the taper should see it expand, cool the bit too if needed. If it still won't come out then it's been friction welded in use and both parts are fubared!

But at least you got a usable drill, and morse tapers are far easier to make than twist bits...!

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

For future reference: You need only find a bolt, nut or similar of a suitable size to drop into the drift slot and sit against the sank of the drill, then use your drift (first tool I made as an aprentice fitter/turner) to remove as nornal, 

Wow didn' think of that, and believe me I was thinking a lots of things when I tried to remove it. Thank you for the tip - it may come handy sometimes.

But at least you got a usable drill, and morse tapers are far easier to make than twist bits...!

Yes, that was the idea - and the taper was ground all over at the end part so it wasn't that good at all.

Hey, and today I found two big cutters in very good condition and a Morse3 drill bit which is also usable. (Plus 8 meters of 30mm dia round stock.)

21 hours ago, JHCC said:

More blacksmith's roadkill: some sort of pin, 1-1/4" dia x 22-1/2" long. 

Any of our trucker/blacksmith friends have any ideas about likely steel composition on this beastie?

It's probably a step up from mild. It could be a hinge pin for a ramp like you see on vehicle haulers. The ramps on my flat bed simply drop into brackets but on commercial rigs you often see the ramps hinged up. This could be a hinge pin for a ramp, the key hole in one end would secure it into the hinge with a pin.

Of course that's just a WAG but what the hey.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow it just hit me that I have a couple of hundred pounds of an old alloy sample library  stacked under my bench.  I ought to source a good saw and make up some sample kits (It leans toward medium to high carbon steel as when I got it I was young and more blade oriented...Every chunk is stamped with the alloy and they are larger than a 2"x4" by a foot or so...but who needs a comparison sample of things like 2345?)

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Wow it just hit me that I have a couple of hundred pounds of an old alloy sample library  stacked under my bench.  I ought to source a good saw and make up some sample kits (It leans toward medium to high carbon steel as when I got it I was young and more blade oriented...Every chunk is stamped with the alloy and they are larger than a 2"x4" by a foot or so...but who needs a comparison sample of things like 2345?)

If you ever decide to do something about that, let me know!