• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for double post - blooming system....

The big stuff will probably end up as small anvils / swages or similar. The caulking chisels I will clean and dress then put them back into use while the spanners I will keep and put by for a rainy day.

An over night soak in diluted to 30% +/- phosphoric acid or Naval Jelly diluted about 50% will do wonders converting the rust scale back to iron as it was when it was left to rust. Electrolysis will do the same thing without the chemicals, a little baking soda and battery charger.

When you're finished with one of the phosphoric acid treatments rinse in clear water, neutralize with baking soda, rinse, dry and oil or it'll rust again almost instantly..

This is how they treat silver and other metals recovered from ship wrecks that have corroded into lumps of oxides holding sand together. The results are amazingly perfect restoration.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for that, Frosty; definitely will next time. For now, I'm just going to clean this up a bit more with the vinegar and hang onto it. Might split it for other uses (san mai, maybe?), might trade it for something else.

9 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

Hey Frosty.....don't you mean "washing soda" and a battery charger?                           Dave

That'll work, virtually anything that changes the PH will make water a conductor and electrolysis will work some electrolytes better than others. I haven't experimented but I recall being told dissolved sugar works almost as well as salt. vinegar, ammonia, etc. I'd try Chlorox outside if I wanted to try it at all.

Thinking about it I'll bet products like Brasso, or the stuff you see on TV shining up tarnished metals and cleaning tile grout, "Kaboom?" might really work well. Do it outdoors PLEASE!

All it needs is an electrolyte.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

That'll work, virtually anything that changes the PH will make water a conductor and electrolysis will work some electrolytes better than others. I haven't experimented but I recall being told dissolved sugar works almost as well as salt. vinegar, ammonia, etc. I'd try Chlorox outside if I wanted to try it at all.

Thinking about it I'll things like Brasso, or the stuff you see on TV shining up tarnished metals and cleaning tile grout, "Kaboom?" might really work well.

All it needs is an electrolyte.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well shoot.......I started with washing soda years ago...was told not to use baking soda.....washing soba worked so well I never saw the need to change or research a substitute.....            Thanks for the lesson                    Dave 

If it ain't broke don't fix it Dave. I've never used washing soda so I may be missing the boat. Hey wait, I usually use dilute phosphoric acid to derust I shouldn't comment on things I don't do very often maybe?

Frosty The Lucky.

10 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

Be careful Mr. Frost....Your on the safety Nazi edge.....LOL              Dave

What you talking about Dave? Frosty a member in good standing of the ever edgy Natzy (SS.) (Be Safer, SAFER DANG IT!! Ve haf vays of making you behafe  safely, do I haf to make you zit in ze corner? Hmmmm?)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it didn't follow me home yet; but there was a very nice 16# straight peen sledge at the fleamarket yesterday. US$8 I may pick it up if it's still there next weekend.  Put it with my improvised chunk of steel anvil and mount it with the peen upright to make a nice fullering anvil.  I'm going to try to get a picture of some of the oddball hammers I've picked up at fleamarkets the last couple of years.

I know it's not our usual stuff but I thought I'd anyway. I went to the scrap yard today since my wife's been getting anxious about snakes (it's that time of year you know lol) and dropped off some useless stuff I collected. As I was unloading I saw something in the pile I couldn't leave without, my sons first go cart. My son loves it and it isn't even fully functional right now.

image.jpeg