I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Taking off my glasses and getting close is like using a magnifier, great for splinter removal.  Been hassled to get my eyeballs carved to get rid of my heavy glasses; as I am an insulin dependant diabetic I'm reserving looking into the laser for more necessary work.  Will still take heavy sedation and some anchor chain to get me to stay still...

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/8/2016 at 0:58 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I have my eye on a local restaurant that is up for sale as the owners would like to retire.  Cooking is one of my lifelong passions , so maybe this is just good timing, fate so to speak.

Onward and upward. 

Check out the thread about cooking on the forge.

22 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Taking off my glasses and getting close is like using a magnifier, great for splinter removal.  Been hassled to get my eyeballs carved to get rid of my heavy glasses; as I am an insulin dependant diabetic I'm reserving looking into the laser for more necessary work.  Will still take heavy sedation and some anchor chain to get me to stay still...

Should be a lil easier staying still for a professional then some doc there that night that's willing to give it a shot. :rolleyes:

handy thing to have in the shop; makes a good upsetting plate on the floor or a weight for a workbench that has a post vise on it and is moving a bit---also allows you to place hot metal on a workbench with it under it---as long as it's not high C being placed on it as it might contact quench it (I use a slab of soapstone for the high C stuff)

While out in the woods cutting firewood (trying to get a jump on next year since it's already in the upper 70s here lately) when I had to stop for a minute. While takin my break I was looking around at some of the surrounding tree stand when I see somethin rusty out of the corner of my eye. Upon further inspection it's an old made in USA Nicholson file. It's a good one too at about 14 inches long and about 1 1/4 inches wide and about 1/4 thick. It's too far gone to use as a file but I might use it for somethin one day.

image.jpeg

Today I was able to bring home an old header that had a piece of 1/4" thick 5"x12'6" plate. I already have plans for a few feet of it and the rest is probably gonna hang out for a while. I also had a fellow that I've done some remodeling work give me a few pieces of white tail spikes and a cape off of another deer he was gonna mount (until the freezer quit and stuff started to thaw). I didn't take a picture of the steel plate cause we all know what that looks like and I didn't get one of the cape because I didn't think anyone wanted to see that right now (I didn't much wanna see it either cause it was crawling already lol). When I finish (hopefully successfully) turning the hide to leather I might show so pictures if anyone wants to see.

image.thumb.jpeg.71988ec4c858c77346f079e

31 minutes ago, tdaleh said:

Jackalope antlers

Which ones are you saying looks like jackalope? Last I heard we don't have any mythical creatures here in Alabama but I wouldn't be surprised to find out I was wrong.

24 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

The disreputable red hat has two pointers on it now!

I don't get the reference but I did tell my wife that a set of those sets would be good for a cool helmet for our two year old. She just rolled her eyes at me.

For several decades now the way folk have met up with me at Quad-State and other conferences was by my wearing a "disreputable red hat".  Well my old one finally failed the wife test---"You wear that out in public and you won't be wearing it back in the house, I'm changing the locks!"  So I got another one and am slowly breaking it in.  The old one had spike buck antler points on it so I figured the new one should be a 2 pointer... The other way to recognize me at Quad-State is that on Friday I try to wear lederhosen and an aloha shirt in remembrance of Paw Paw Wilson who recognized the get up as being mentioned in Glory Road by Heinlein

Send me your address and I'll send you a pair. But you have to post a picture when you get done.

I haven't figured out yet just how much use I can get from them anyway. I was hoping they'd be large enough for handle material but they're a little on the skinny side. I will try to use as much as I can though so that I can tell him I didn't throw it away or waste it just in case he has some bigger antler to get rid of at a later date.

Picked up some various pieces and parts at the local scrap yard a few weeks ago and put them together to make a punch/drift block thing.

Just took a little welding and some drilling for the holes, had a friend at a machine shop drill holes from 1/4" to 1" in 1/8" increments, the plate is approximately 2" thick. 

The post is 6" x 6" x 3/16" and the base plate already had the center cut out so I can drift all the way through material and tilt it over to retrieve the tool.  Not perfect, but for about $20 it works.

IMG_34841_zpslvuqk1ip.jpg

2 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

I was hoping they'd be large enough for handle material but they're a little on the skinny side. I will try to use as much as I can though so that I can tell him I didn't throw it away or waste it just in case he has some bigger antler to get rid of at a later date.

Paring knife handles? Send me a pair; I'd be happy to give it a try.

1 hour ago, 01tundra said:

Picked up some various pieces and parts at the local scrap yard a few weeks ago and put them together to make a punch/drift block thing.

Just took a little welding and some drilling for the holes, had a friend at a machine shop drill holes from 1/4" to 1" in 1/8" increments, the plate is approximately 2" thick. 

The post is 6" x 6" x 3/16" and the base plate already had the center cut out so I can drift all the way through material and tilt it over to retrieve the tool.  Not perfect, but for about $20 it works.

Nice! What's the height? 

8 minutes ago, JHCC said:

That's an idea I didn't think of. I thought about trying a pen knife and a whittling knife. I could always use another paring knife so that'll probably happen before the ideas I had.

Which ones were you thinkin about?

1 minute ago, Michael Cochran said:

That's an idea I didn't think of. I thought about trying a pen knife and a whittling knife. I could always use another paring knife so that'll probably happen before the ideas I had.

Which ones were you thinkin about?

Whatever you like; I'm not looking a gift deer in the antlers. I'll send you a chunk of curly applewood in exchange, if you like.  I'll PM you my address.

If you prefer you can just find me in regular clothes on Thursday, Saturday or Sunday.  I'm middle aged, bearded, over my optimum weight  and will be wearing bluejeans---no problem finding me in the crowd!  

For the smaller spike antlers I like to make threading hooks for spinning wheels from them, I twist up a doubled over piece of nickle silver wire, bend the looped end over  and insert the other end in the cut off fat end of the spike in a drilled hole with a bit of epox, cross drill the horn nearer the tip for a thong and I've never had any come back from a spinning conference.

no not safe: not a fedora, cowboy, ball cap, top hat,.....Closest would be an old hillbilly's totally worn out hat, no blocking recognizable; the original on had a tail as well thanks to Don Yors...(found a plastic dinosaur tail in the gravel at the fleamarket and told me that since I had horns I needed a tail...)

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Nice! What's the height? 

I can't remeber the exact measurment off hand, but it's basically at the same height as my anvil, somewhere in the 30" range.