I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I found a new thing that seems to be a common thing amoung blacksmithsmiths...my teacher is also an officer in PABA so he knows all the smiths in the area....well he has to visit some of these guys from time to time..I get to tag along.....what a riot! all of em great people and the common things are "here take that witchya" its like a big swap meet to go and visit someone. We visited a guy the other day and he has alot of thin 12 guage brass...rolls of it...here kid (my kid is 30 years old) he says, to me, take them shears and cut us some brass...he also had thin steel in lengths all kinds of weird things that can help a project for fastners or tabs ...
then yesterday my one neighbor pulled in with a 3x6 sheet of 12 guage mild, a bunch of 3/4x2' steel round...and some 1/16th thick 1.5 diameter black pipe (3' sections) all kinds of goodies...so another common thing is that people start to find out what you are doing and they all give ya metal...trouble is finding out what kind it is....no matter bang away my friends

FP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

today was a gangbuster for me, I picked up about 40 feet of 3/8 round mild, 12 feet of 1/8 round mild and 8 pieces of 1 1/4 square thicker-than-thin wall square tubing. All of it just took me the time to stop and pick it up off the side of the road.

I also get to order a few pairs of tongs from GSTongs, along with a square punch:D

Hello all, A question about what followed me home? I don't have any pictures of it , but we have all seen it. I am talking about a treasure chest full of information every time we log onto I FORGE IRON.
The blue prints are what i am talking about. There are a bunch of guys who share a lifetime worth of knowledge free for the taking. Some of the neatest projects, the neatest ways of doing things and all the technical knowledge passed along is better than anything i have seen anywhere.
To all the guys who have shared their knowledge with us through the blueprints and everything else on this site, A big THANK YOU from and old texas farmer. Lyndon Wagner -- texfarm

Followed me home from ebay :)

Meco Weldmaster torch with 5 welding tips, a rosebud and a cutting head. Looks like he had done some silver soldering or brazing with one tip and lit the cutting torch once to make sure it worked. BRAND NEW condition. I have been looking for one of these off and on for a couple years after I had bought a used one from a friend. These torches are no longer made but sure bring good $$ on ebay. I have bid on quite a few and gotten beaten out. Cutting tips are still available from other manufacturers and I recently got what is probably a lifetime supply of various size tips for oxy/propane (ebay). Have wanted a torch to match my existing one so one can be set up on propane and one on acetylene with all parts interchangeable.

BONUS-Meco Cutmaster in excellent condition. BIG cutting torch with lock-on lever and uses the same tips. This is my new "outside" torch.

Bonus-2 lbs of Harris StaySilv15 silver solder. Near as I can figure from a site where this can be purchased on the web is that this is worth about $140 $2.55/stick

Total including shipping $73 :D

Snuck this in over Thanksgiving weekend. You snooze you lose!

Hey Sam, If that followed you home for free, you got a steal on it. We had to pay $50 for the one I have in the shop, and that was on a "good" day (read as: blustery cold and nobody wanted to stand around at the auction). A big auction with lots of collectors, that exact grinder in that exact condition can bring upwards of 120 or 130 bucks around here EASILY. Good job!
-Aaron @ the SCF

take a wire brush to it and see what it looks like underneath....i got some stuff like that and it really looked cool....old factories didnt care what color so long as it was protected with battleship paint...wear a resperator device cause i am sure its not good dust...

They said I could do anything as long as it didn't hurt. The problem is that it doesn't hurt till I stop and things start to cool down and stiffen up.

Had PT this morning kind of fun when the PT'er said to push against their counter push; but didn't say how much---lifted them off their feet and then I told them that that was my weak arm...

There it was, thrown out with the rest of the trash at the curb. Now who would throw away a good Barbie? (BBQ grill). So it followed me home. It has to be a good grill or they would not have put the "Aussie" name on it. Even comes with it's own thermometer.

For those that are looking at this wondering, see it as a heat treating device for knives, complete with its own temperature read out device.