• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to a garage sale last week and the wife was selling off her husbands rendezvous stuff. Glad he wasn't there so I didn't have to see the tears but I picked up the little charcoal stove for $5 and the the vice for $3. The flange tool was $3 at an auction I went to two weekends ago and I finally have something to use as a mandrel. The stove I am looking into converting to a gas forge somehow.

post-5114-0-80441100-1378861164_thumb.jp

post-5114-0-25972200-1378861182_thumb.jp

post-5114-0-72605800-1378861185_thumb.jp

post-5114-0-42444200-1378861194_thumb.jp

post-5114-0-45792200-1378861203_thumb.jp

post-5114-0-35444600-1378861214_thumb.jp

I went by the scrapyard again today. Picked up a 1-ton hand crank winch from the '20s and an 8ft section of minecart track for 22 bucks. I cleaned the winch up today and it looks like new. Not quite sure what I'll do with the track yet.

Scrapyard visit: 12' light sucker rod; metal milk crate, some 16 gauge steel sheet, lifting eye to use as a dishing form, bottle cap from a welding bottle to make a bell from, triangular hunk of solid steel from a smallish wood splitter I believe---may make it a chiselling block for my large postvise, 60 pounds of steel, US$12

Pretty much; 20 cents a pound is my regular rate lately for random scrap; I still pay a bit more for good items---like a rolling sheet metal shop storage rack for $15  (actually it was probably cheaper than my rate; but they didn't want to put it across the small set of scales again...)

However; working mainly with scrap means you need to make regular visits and buy what's there when it's there and store it until time to use it.  As I count visiting the scrapyard as "entertainment" and tend to work projects as I find stuff for them---the joy of this being a hobby!---it generally works for me. If not; my steel source is 2 miles from my shop and I go right past it on my way home from the scrapyard.

I didn't want to create a whole new thread for this and since the stuff came home with me at the end, I think this will be the best spot for it.

This weekend I took a forging workshop with Dan Nauman of Bighorn Forge. It was a great weekend with tons of information, lots of fun, and awesome hands on teaching.

We made a hook which we also learned to blacken it and wax it. We then created our own tongs( a first for me ) out of a single 14" piece of 1/2" square. After the tongs we made a cold chisel and learned to anneal and temper it.

UtLc4Pj.jpg

Pretty much; 20 cents a pound is my regular rate lately for random scrap; I still pay a bit more for good items---like a rolling sheet metal shop storage rack for $15  (actually it was probably cheaper than my rate; but they didn't want to put it across the small set of scales again...)

However; working mainly with scrap means you need to make regular visits and buy what's there when it's there and store it until time to use it.  As I count visiting the scrapyard as "entertainment" and tend to work projects as I find stuff for them---the joy of this being a hobby!---it generally works for me. If not; my steel source is 2 miles from my shop and I go right past it on my way home from the scrapyard.

Ha ha. Nicely done. I know one lad at my local yard, but his identical twin works there too. I have no idea how to tell them apart...

I've been away with business for some time now but I plan on bringing donuts on my next visit. I rather enjoy my visits there as they don't mind me scrambling around the piles and pulling out odd bits. As you say, you have to buy what you can when you can get it, the pile changes daily at that place.

Andy

There are days when you just have to stop and collect those things left for you on the side of the road.

post-1-0-30323400-1379960347.jpg

In this case it was in the middle of the road but I stopped anyway. This is the smaller of 3 lumps of coal, and yes they followed me home.

Nice score on the 4340 HF. It is a high tensile chrome-nickel-molybdenum Steel. Highest-stressed crankshafts, gear components, connecting rods, axle tubes, bolts, flanges, turbine rotors, etc.

My guess is it come from a Depo rebuilding shop where they refurbish and refit tanks and such it is already annealed for you that is good as it can be cut and shaped much easier. I am with Thomas looks like some awesome dies and hardies sitting there.

Sam

It has yet to follow me home- I'm still on the road with it, but I'm carrying around a NOS Atha flatter #2 1/2. Still has paint on it's face, the handle is still clean, with the label on it. I thought it fair priced at $60. The edges are sharp- should they be dressed a bit?

Steve

I love it when certain people clean up at work. The last couple of weeks I have had the following , and more , follow me home. Several Shuttle brand computers, a Branson ultrasonic cleaner (looks like a pistol would fit nicely in it), 3 sheets of 2" thick R-Tec ridged foam insulation, several new long wooden handles (mop,broom), a cover for a machine that I may try to resell - or just use for the heavier ga. sheet metal content, a big-ol-pile of coiled air lines w/guns, several new grease guns, new coils of rubber hose (3/8", and 1/2" air line), and a lot more.

In the works, I have a few 440C bar ends, some various bronze bar ends, a big pile of 5/8" 12L15 bar ends (more than likely these will be free to me), and some various stainless bar ends I am looking to purchase from work.  I have also informed the boss that I want to buy the 55 gallon drum they are using for the titanium solids/bar ends when the job is done. It is A6 Ti in 3/8" dia.

Picked this up at an auction for.........Wait for it.....$40. The motor works, it alone is worth the 40 dollars. It was so cheap cuz someone took the Job-Selector. I wonder if they are still available.

Airforce property, Model ML, I have no idea how old it is. My wife was so happy to get it off the trailer without tearing the trusses down, that thing must weigh 500#s

post-2133-0-09468300-1380419349_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-87723100-1380419356_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-04985000-1380419365_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-24820200-1380419372_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-95927700-1380419381_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-14418200-1380419391_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-73956900-1380419397_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-98169900-1380419406_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-08001400-1380419416_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-27692100-1380419422_thumb.jp

Great buy--- You might find the following site helpful.. http://web.archive.org/web/20070519172426/http://home.woh.rr.com/rcbattelle/bandsaw.shtml

They are still in business ( http://doallsawing.com/pages.aspx?idpage=1 ) and parts can be had from other sources as well... BTW you stole that saw...LOL...ENJOY it !

Sweet restoration that guy did, he claimed the table alone weighed near 200lbs., maybe I should start a new thread somewhere. I was called and they said they found the blade welder... for 20 more dollars I could have it. 

I was mistaken on the weight, the gentlemen on the reoration web site caimed it was 1000 to 1200 #s

I love this thread!

I get so much free stuff thrown at me since I've put my feelers out to friends and family.

Last time I went back to my home town, my Dad told me to go through my late grandfather's workshop (died in 1999) and take whatever I want, because its been picked through and everything is going to the dump soon.

I got a 5 gallon bucket stuffed full of old files and rasps, mainly black diamonds/Nicholsons.

I got another bucket full of punches and chisels.

A dozen or so LARGE wood boring bits that are 2-3' long. (Grandpa was a linesman and never threw anything out)

Two hand braces.

4 old monkey wrenches

A few axes heads and a sledgehammer head.

A couple of ballpeen hammers

A couple of blocks of steel - 4"diameter x 3" thick, another one that was roughly 4"x6" x 1" with a few 1/2 to 1" holes drilled in it (perfect!)

On the same trip, my brother-in-law gave me a 3' length of heavy gauge railroad rail. 

-----------------------------

Last week I got a pair of leaf spring sets from a trailer from my neighbor's shop. He also has a set of dump truck leaf springs in his scrap bin, but those were a bit too big for me to handle. He dropped off a box of diesel valves yesterday, but I'm not sure if they will be good for anything yet.