Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, these followed me home today.

It took a little oil to get the belt tensioner on the drill press to slide right, which explains why the belt isn't long enough for it.  It's also missing the set screw for the tensioner.  Other than that it works fine.  Oh and the vise works great too.

I've been desperately needing tongs for a while now. My favorite pair that I used for almost everything broke. Saturday I went to my local flea market (which never has anything) And what do I see? 5 pairs of tongs on a table, each one different and exactly what I needed, all heller brothers and champion brand. :D

I've been desperately needing tongs for a while now. My favorite pair that I used for almost everything broke. Saturday I went to my local flea market (which never has anything) And what do I see? 5 pairs of tongs on a table, each one different and exactly what I needed, all heller brothers and champion brand. :D

All the tongs I have are hand made at the museum. One of the goofy tour guides managed to break a pair somehow. Anybody know how to weld wrought iron? lol

Please don't call the cops, because this was almost highway robbery, 

400lb Peter Wright anvil

Canadian forge co. blower #1; no stand, 18" fan housing

Canadian forge co blower #2; on stand

Portable refractory lined forge

5 pair champion bolt tongs

7 misc tongs

misc wrought iron, springs, lawn mower blades and steel bars

1 ton coal in bags (mixed bituminous and anthracite)

misc top tools

2 hammers

3 nice new homemade wooden boxes, 5 antique crates/boxes (for mommy)

casting stuff (ingot mould, lead ladle, cast iron melting pot, holds 1.5 gallon)

The seller was asking $1000 for all of it, but i talked down to $800, as a $200 down payment and $50/month until its payed off...

Pictures!?!?! you want pictures!?!?!?! well fine then!

post-15377-0-18584900-1370398271_thumb.j

post-15377-0-10298500-1370398150_thumb.j

post-15377-0-26940900-1370398169_thumb.j

post-15377-0-30303000-1370398180_thumb.j

post-15377-0-64315000-1370398195_thumb.j

post-15377-0-44540500-1370398209_thumb.j

post-15377-0-88314100-1370398228_thumb.j

post-15377-0-91213000-1370398243_thumb.j

post-15377-0-39621200-1370398292_thumb.j

Yes! I'm starting to get too much! But I just can't pass up an amazing deal for an anvil, even just to save it from a collector and resell it to someone who will use it, but I'm up to 5 anvils now (just sold 2 0.o). I am now starting to look for a nice big post vice, 6"+ and then a swage block

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

A friends company was digging a gas line when they came across a seam.  Knowng I smithed he was kind enough to bring me these two chunks.  The one on the tub weighs about 50lbs, the one on the ground is closer to 70lbs.   It's probably not the best stuff, but it cokes up good.  I can use it to make the "beehive".  Who knew the "magnetic" personality worked on coal too. :D

cdf08855-4213-47db-a645-6c437e0a4aa7.jpg

It cokes up good?  If the coke has a nice blue flame (indicating a low of sulphur, as opposed to a yellowish flame), and it gets nice and hot relatively easily, I don't really see how it could get much better. 

I've used some "Smithin' Coal" that came out of Utah.  It never really coked up right, took a lot of cranking, and the fire never showed any blue.  I figured it would do as long as I use my heats wisely and didn't try to weld with it.

How would one identify how much phosphorous is in a batch of coal? I know it causes cold-short steel, but would that affect steel at lower forging temperatures, or just near welding temperatures, or just while running a bloomery?

I found my answer after a good bit of digging.  Phosphorus burns white.  So if you see a few jets of white here and there you should be good, but if it's a predominant color I wouldn't get the metal too awful hot, just in case.  I also am not sure I'd want to breath any smoke that happens to miss the flue and drift towards the face.

Trace Elements in West Virginia Coals

Antimony (Sb) Erbium (Er) Manganese (Mn) Tantalum (Ta) Arsenic (As) Europium (Eu) Mercury (Hg) Tellurium (Te) Barium (Ba) Fluorine (F) Molybdenum (Mo) Terbium (Tb) Beryllium (Be) Gadolinium (Gd) Neodymium (Nd) Thallium (Tl) Bismuth (Bi) Gallium (Ga) Nickel (Ni) Thorium (Th) Boron ( Germanium (Ge) Niobium (Nb) Thulium ™ Bromine (Br) Gold (Au) Praseodymium (Pr) Tin (Sn) Cadmium (Cd) Hafnium (Hf) Rhenium (Re) Tungsten (W) Cerium (Ce) Holmium (Ho) Rubidium (Rb) Uranium (U) Cesium (Cs) Indium (In) Samarium (Sm) Vanadium (V) Chlorine (Cl) Iridium (Ir) Scandium (Sc) Ytterbium (Yb) Chromium (Cr) Lanthanum (La) Selenium (Se) Yttrium (Y) Cobalt (Co) Lead (Pb) Silver (Ag) Zinc (Zn) Copper (Cu) Lithium (Li) Strontium (Sr) Zirconium (Zr)

You would have to burn multiple TONS of the coal, as they are TRACE amounts.

Remember that coal is trees and vegetation that grew in a swamp, died, and was covered over with mud and pressed for centuries under extreme pressures. I doubt there is a pocket of phosphorus in there anywhere..

As to breathing coal smoke:

The added color to spit, mucus, and other things is the bodies way of trying to rid itself of contaminates that you have introduced into the system. If you can see it, smell it, or taste it, then it is not the clean air you want to breathe. It has other stuff in it..

Got these at an estate sale for a total of $31. A box of punches and other metal, 7 ball pein hammers and a twister of some kind, 40" x 30" sheet of 1/8" steel, 30" hoop of wrought iron - 3" wide and 3/8" thick, a Jensen-Whitney punch ($5!!!)

post-20811-0-60798100-1371922781_thumb.jpost-20811-0-95847800-1371922816_thumb.jpost-20811-0-30180900-1371922878_thumb.j

Got these at an estate sale for a total of $31. A box of punches and other metal, 7 ball pein hammers and a twister of some kind, 40" x 30" sheet of 1/8" steel, 30" hoop of wrought iron - 3" wide and 3/8" thick, a Jensen-Whitney punch ($5!!!)attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I can't find a model number on the punch. Anyone know where I should look on this thing? It's got a layer of thick paint that I need to strip. Maybe I can find it afterwards.

Nice score! that's a tap wrench but will make a decent' twisting wrench. Look for a patent number on the punch and search with name and patent # for the model number. that's a wagon/buggy wheel, etc. tire. You can turn the ball peins into all kinds of good forging hammers and bottom tools. all in all a good $31 score not counting the ever handy plate.

Frosty The Lucky.