• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I stopped by the scrapyard on my lunch hour and came out with a beat up bucket w/ no holes a slightly bent c clamp and a 12# cone shaped piece about 8" tall 3" at the base it has some thread type lines on it I will make quick worK of those with aflap sander all for $4.00

post-23601-0-93948300-1344615842_thumb.j

Just picked up B1 Beverly sheer for $50 of craigslist. How do you mount yours. I'm thinking on top of a 4x4 steel post for ease of use and small foot print in the shop.

I made a base for my that is on a peice of verticle 2" tubing about 4 inches long. It fits in the "gonzita" (reciever) on my benches, and can also be clamped in a vise. I also have another gonzita out in front of my shop that I put it in when I cut long stuff.

danger, do me a huge favour and open the biggest one up, i had one of those follow me home a few months ago, but it wont run.... and i cant for the life of me work out the missing part! i think there must be some form of piston inside that is missing....

recently I bought this 205 lb. cast steel anvil from blacksmith barn, I went and picked it up and saw the Tim Kris collection, drool, shake and shiver... anyway it had some edge damage on it, seeing as how I have taught basic blacksmithing courses at a local welding shop, I called in a favor and had one of their master welders get some rod and give it a go! We preheated the anvil to 450 and he made several passes and I ground in between passes. We did the hammer hardness test to see if the face softened and we found no appreciable soft spots. I have not finish ground the face and edges yet, but I think this one is going to quad state as well. Any takers? I like it because it does not leave my ears ringing!! The rebound is excellent and it is a big one, does not move when you smack on it!!

post-4158-0-09795600-1345719516_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-52632100-1345719517_thumb.jp

I bought a big manual hossfield bender today, complete with 500 feet of 1/2" round mild steel, all for $250, complete with bending attachments and a custom made table for the bender..........pictures below.......

Stewart, That's not a Hossfeld bender it's a Diacro

As per Richard Thibeau's request yesterday in the chatroom here are pictures of very large blacksmith tongs that I got when I bought out the railroad shop at the Delaware and Hudson Repair shop over 25 years ago.............I shoulda bought the steam hammer!

sure as durn tootin ya shoulda!

Stewart, were you in my neck of the woods? I talked to a guy selling something like that for about the same price, and held back because I didn't have room for it. (Or cash on hand for that matter)
If you didn't get it, I may have to repay him a visit. :)

I bought a handful of rusty needle files, two hammer heads for silversmithing and a large dapping block. Somebody else had bought the daps but not the block because it was too rusty. Silly person! I had it shinny bright by soaking in vinegar and a bit of polishing with wet/dry 600 grit paper. Total cost of my purchases $2.50

Went to the local scrap yard for the first time to pick up 24' of new 1/4" square stock. The guy working there told me "you might want to go check out that material over by the fence"........2 hrs later I was pulling out of there with my square stock and a load of 1/2" stock, 1" flat plate, and other random stuff. At $.25 per pound I couldn't resist, even snagged a stick of triangle shaped stock, never knew they made such a thing.

Now I've got plenty of metal to practice on, even though i did leave about $50 poorer than I had planned on :)!

017FA75E-E59A-4C57-AC37-B0037B98281E-968

Went to my local spring shop today, The owner is my neibor and has become a good freind. He called me and told me that he had some steel for me. When I get there he has about 150lbs of new drops and 300lbs of used springs to load into my truck. He assured me that he uses ONLY 5160 in his shop (less complicated is his explanation). As I was leaving, another young smith walks in looking for springs, so I inroduced myself and we had a good conversation. I ended up splitting the stock with him (i already have more than i could ever use and don't mind). He has only been smithing for 3 months, Invited him to my shop, and now I have a striker.

After that young smith leaves my owner freind sais "hey come tell me what you think of this" and brings me around back to see his 100lb LG laying on it's side covered in a tarp. It had no motor or dies or any of the delicate and important parts. When I asked where he got it and if he had any of the other parts he reminded me, he is the fourth generation owner of the shop and it was his great grandfather's (who bought it new) and he has all the important parts hidden away. He is gonna haul it up and refurb it and was contemplating selling it to clear up some space and let it get used, seeing as he is my neibor and wants to tinker in a shop, I offered to put it in my shop and let him use my shop with me. He is sereously considering it as he would hate to sell somthing that he is the 4th generation owner of.

So all in all:
roundabout 200lbs of springs, new and used
new smith encouraged, and striker/helper in my shop (as long as he can learn from me that is)
POSSIBLY a 100lb LG on the way

Oh I almost forgot, a small mastercraft wood lathe was loaded into my truck hile I wasn't looking :ph34r: ... And he wants me to call him about a 4x8 workbench he has with a 1/2" steel top tomorrow (why, I don't know)

Pics of the steel and lathe tomorrow and maybe the other stuff within the week, he has all kinds of other fun things hidden away too (such as his foom with 2 5.5" poost vised and 4 anvils and swage block :D it was a good trip

past my bedtime now!