I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Picked up a couple of large old files, a larger tap wrench and a large ballpeen $5 at the fleamarket. Also found the seller was in the SCA, made knives and is interested in SWABA...

Unfortunately I can't add the ball peen to my "hawks from hammerheads" stash; it's stamped AT & SF RY so I guess I'll have to pass it on to someone who likes that stuff...

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frosty,

my understanding of a ducks nest forge is minimal, however, my question focuses on how to use the ducks nest tuyere(spelling???) I have in the picture above.... I just can't picture ,or find a picture, of how to build a forge around it. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, a drawing if you please.

Attended my very first auction yesterday.Left there pretty happy,auhhh LUCKY!Only reason I went was for the post vise(5"jaw).I got it for......brace yourself...$11.00!No I did not leave out a #1!!The other was listed as a "plow vise"(4"jaw).It was locked up but some PB Blaster & sweat took care of that.Loose as a goose now.Got it for $4.00. B)

post-9792-002369400 1278900517_thumb.jpg

post-9792-016742200 1278900567_thumb.jpg

post-9792-053225600 1278900659_thumb.jpg

post-9792-012795300 1278900681_thumb.jpg

post-9792-052284200 1278900720_thumb.jpg

post-9792-079248600 1278900752_thumb.jpg

Nice vice! Certain English vise makers sometimes stamped identifying marks on the bell. If it's there, sometimes some wire brushing will reveal the stamps.

Tried that...found only 2 lines(1\4"apart) all the way round the center.(Halfway point of bell.)

Post vice looks like a peter wright. look on the top of the screw box on behind the stationary jaw, there should be some writing in SMALL letters saying "wrights patent solid box" on the top where it is easily damaged. I have one that looks just like it only about 6". Good score.
Rob

Picked up a baby 50# anvil off the Vegas CL Friday for $60. Rings like a bell, and supposedly came from a mine up around Ely NV.

Also picked up a ton of leather working gear; stamps, tools, books, leather,granite slabs, etc. Would have liked to get one of the sewing machines, but out of the current budget.

Also picked up a Kitchen Aid "classic" mixer for free. They said that it works intermittently, so I will have to open it up. The attachments, and bowl were worth the drive over to pick it up.

Also have part of a fork lift tine in the back that I am machining for Tim McCoy. with all of this in the back of my 98 SW2 Saturn wagon it was dragging its Democrat on the way home today. Hey, Glen says I can't type *** :P

post-9835-057996500 1278911761_thumb.jpg

post-9835-042090400 1278911785_thumb.jpg

post-9835-018459100 1278911809_thumb.jpg

Cool. So how much were the big pliers?:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

25 was steep for pliers to pick up hot junk so $5 had to do.

Call'em tongs and they ask 25. Call'em pliers and they're 5.
Hammer was free lol.

What do you think those "pliers" were originally made for ?
They are even a bit big to pick up a 15# rock hammer.

Well, In the past week I have been busy!

I was working with a very good friend at a summer festival blacksmithing there. A gentleman approaches me about antique lathes. metal treadle lathes...more on this later.

Then, a gentleman comes up and says his mother is looking at moving. His father who passed a few years back was a blacksmith, and she is looking at clearing out the barn/garage/basement all his tools and metal-for free...under one condition; if I come and haul them away. :) :) I'm going to go and help them (or help myself) next week.

lastly, The friend whos' booth I was working forging at told me he has a deal for me. he says to come and visit him down in Iowa for a few days and he has a 25 lb little giant (fully functioning) waiting there for me. I emailed him a day or two back, and he says he also has a small mechanical ironworker for me too if I want it. This is by far the most thoughtful and generous gift I have ever received. I am truly in awe of such kindness.

So today, I checked out the lathe. she's a beaut! we dated it to between 1900 and 1904, an old Barnes metal treadle lathe-and a big one too-a 6' bed! has just about everything except the large flywheels and the treadle, but I with the help of the seller will convert it to electric. it has a gabjillion gears to do threading. he was restoring it, so everything runs SMOOTH and is very well oiled. no binding, biting or sticking whatsoever. there is only one major thread that is broken, but it seems like an easy fix. I have had a *little* experience with metal lathes and a ton with wooden ones, so I figure this is a great tool to introduce me to the metal ones. he's asking $350 and I think I'm going to go for it, what do you think?

it's all about projecting what you need!

Aaron

I'd be wary of converting a treadle to electric and real happy to restore it as a treadle. A lot of things that were not electric are not engineered for electric speeds and forces and if you are not careful you can do it or yourself damage.

Fleamarket report: AT&SF RY crosspein in great condition $3, Wilton 6" C clamp, $3. Turned down an 04 propane tank for $20 as I can trade out for one that's newer and full at that price! Fellow said he will bring a bunch of LARGE THICK old files for me next week---some of them cast steel! wants $1 per...

Thomas, the seller and I discussed that topic quite a bit. We figure if we put a motor on it, and a large reducer to get it down to he 250rpm that it needs she'd be fine. that being said, that will only be temporary until I can find original treadle parts for it. do you think I should go for it?

Aaron

Torque after that reduction? I'd certainly go with flatbelts that can slip if necessary!

I don't know how much you like the "old stuff" and how much hassle it may be so I can't say if you should or shouldn't.

However it's a good price for a small light duty lathe!

WOW Arron you be a lucky guy!

A restorable treadle lathe for that price will probably payback in the black whether you try restoring it or not, especially if it's reasonably complete.

Is there a belt groove in the flywheel behind the head stock? It was pretty common around that time to make treadle or crank powered tools convertable. Heck, same for a turn of the century treadle or hand powered Singer sweing machine. Anyway, if it has a belt groove on the flywheel the big trick will be reducing the motor RPM without increasing the torque to "break stuff" levels. The important thing with this kind of converson is having a slip link between the speed reduced motor and the machine.

Don't forget, we LOVE pics!

Frosty the Lucky.

Atlas bench lathe, 60 inch overall, with complete set of gears (I will need a manual) and quite stout wooden bench
1x?(36 maybe?) Bandfile Bandsander branded belt grinder and motor made by Mead Chicago
a 24 inch circular saw blade with a knife pattern partially cut out,
several buck saws in questionable condition some with hardware for the handles
a box of random metal,
a few broken band saw blades
some 1/2 inch rusty cold roll,
odds and ends related to the lathe

All from cleaning a corner in the mother in law's garage, all in the back of my parents suburban waiting unload into my garage.

Spending all day with my Dad, while my Mom had my daughter (Grandmother duty is GRAND!), PRICELESS!

Phil

Pictures after unloading, set up, and a shower. The lathe got a bath is about a quart of oil...not much dripped off. Plain old 10-30 motor oil was all I had to use.

Nice haul there Phil!
Don`t see anything in the pics to be disappointed over,quite the contrary.
If it was me those bare feet in the pics would be "Dancing the dance of joy" as Balky Bartockamous would say. :D

" random metal"......That's what I like, the randomness of the haul, done good and help out and older lady get her life straight and clean. Don't you just feel somehow complete and fulfilled now? :blink::lol:

I feel somewhat compensated for putting her car back together twice, and putting a wood stove in her house. This was just in the last year.

The 4 jaw chuck is blown up...I have most of the parts but it is cracked too. The 3 jaw chuck went to cousins with the wood lathe...how much is a good chuck? I have a "dog plate" but no dogs.

It is a 10 inch Atlas lathe with a power cross feed. I even have a small pile of extra parts for it, split nuts and such. I hope I ordered the correct manual on Ebay for $5.

I am hoping to get the kick grinder and some cabinets eventually, but those will take a separate trip. My brother in law uses the kick grinder a few times a year for the lawn mower and such, but he would rather the space too. The cabinets are empty and behind furniture. We are gonna have to empty half the garage to get them.

Phil