I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Great score Sam! Congrats.

The part that hurts is "at a salvage yard". It makes one wonder how many of these are out there, especially now that scrap prices are up and how many are going off to be melted and lost forever. That's why this stuff is scarce now, because of the huge scrap drives during WWII and Korea just when smithing was fading fast and a lot of iron was out there and no longer being used and times were really tough then for a lot of folks.

Count one saved !!!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great score Sam! Congrats.

The part that hurts is "at a salvage yard". It makes one wonder how many of these are out there, especially now that scrap prices are up and how many are going off to be melted and lost forever. That's why this stuff is scarce now, because of the huge scrap drives during WWII and Korea just when smithing was fading fast and a lot of iron was out there and no longer being used and times were really tough then for a lot of folks.

Count one saved !!!

Thanks Dan, but don't feel too bad in this case.
It wasn't a scrap yard - it was an architectural salvage shop.
So there was no danger of this anvil being melted down.
If you have one of these places near you, check it out - they are SO COOL!!!
The place I was at was like something right out of Sanford and Son, just a warehouse full of beautiful junk - 2 floors worth.
I could have happily spent DAYS in there.
Cheers.
Sam

Been a busy week this week. My son and I took a road trip last Wednesday/Thursday up to Postville Blacksmith shop/old world anvil and picked up a new KA75 and a #5 flypress. Spent all day Friday making a table and mounting the flypress and getting the base plate and setting up the KA75. I will post pictures in the next few days. I made a hammer with the KA75 and have played a little with the fly press. I am off at my night job this Friday thru Monday so I am looking forward to using the KA for the job I bought it for.

John

Good for you John! I got to meet Bob a few years ago and he let me try out his 3B Nazel and 200lb Bradley helve shop hammers. I would've loved to be in a position to buy a few goodies while there. <sigh>

Jer

I had a fire extinguisher guy get me some old steel tanks to make bells out of, oh yeah, another guy swapped me this rusty old cone for a piece of art I made. He was thinking of making it into yard art or something, turns out his collapsed barn was an old blacksmith shop, he says he may have a few of those old tools that go in the anvil, and some tongy thingys in storage he will let me have as well, I told him we could work something out so he gets somethin out of it, he said he was glad to know someone was going to be using the stuff for what it was intended. More to come.... but a pretty good day!

post-4158-017655700 1274910355_thumb.jpg

just a few things that followed me home in the last month or so.

post-4006-032936700 1274918056_thumb.jpg some crane cable and some pt cable.

post-4006-023212800 1274918186_thumb.jpg more crane cable. they restrung a tower crane at work.

post-4006-037354300 1274918211_thumb.jpg two- 4'x8'x1" steel plate, should make a nice welding table.

I do a bit of welding for different people from time to time. I've worked for a guy who owns a sawmill off and on for several years now. I got to thinking today the mill is a bansaw. So I took a 10 min drive to go see if he has any laying around. I picked up around 200 lbs or so of (scrap) blades for $10. I don't know how good they will be for knife blades yet but, I'm gonna find out soon. I think the blades are around 1/8 thick and around 8" to 10" wide.

post-13863-001831000 1274918670_thumb.jp

Okay,I posted the other day and I finally got a little spare time and took some pics today of where pretty much every spare dime I have made doing forge work went last week. Yes I am a proud parent and these children don't talk back and they actually do work. As said earlier the Boy and I went up to Postville and picked up the KA75 and the #5 Fly press. The Millermatic 252 arrived Friday. I am working on a railing job and have used all 3 already. The Fly press will straighten 1 1/2" hot rolled round stock cold with very little effort.

post-278-022847000 1274920167_thumb.jpg

post-278-053165000 1274920205_thumb.jpg

post-278-095938200 1274920232_thumb.jpg

post-278-089381200 1274920272_thumb.jpg

post-278-062657100 1274920315_thumb.jpg

post-278-039194300 1274920346_thumb.jpg

Nice score JW! That flypress looks brand new. Nice set up you have there. I have been eye balling a miller 252 myself. I have a syncrowave 200 tig, and a 180 mig right now. I need more out of my mig machine, but i love my millers!

Nice score JW! That flypress looks brand new. Nice set up you have there. I have been eye balling a miller 252 myself. I have a syncrowave 200 tig, and a 180 mig right now. I need more out of my mig machine, but i love my millers!

The Flypress and the KA75 are both new, My son and I went up to Postville Blacksmith Shop/Old World Anvils and picked them up almost 2 weeks ago. Just a little late getting pics loaded.

BM454, I used to know a knife maker in Oklahoma that made chef's knifes out of big band saw blades like that, he just ground them to shape, nice cutting knife!
JW, That is nicely appointed shop you got there. With the two new pieces of equipment looks like you're set for anything that comes your way. Joyful forging to ya! :P

Went to a sale today of blacksmithing stuff and a truck load of tool steel followed me home. The interesting stuff was beond my pocket book. The gent was selling a real nice 465# Habberman anvil, welder plasma cutter, 6 leg vises, beverly shear, a Kinyon air hammer,cone mandral, two coal forges and a room of mis. stuff. To have money would have been nice.

I have had a few days off so hit a couple of auctions and a boot sale,
Came away with an anvil stamped 204 on one side and on the other --- & son,
YO--R-Rh ?
Best,
improved,
warrented
and with a JB or JH stamped between the feet.
A wall mounted hand cranked pillar drill,
5 sets of tongs - rusty but working,
1 bottom fuller and two bottom swages, 2 rodded top fullers and a rodded cold cut,
A blower for a childs bouncy castle
A cast iron stand with fly wheels and crank for a treadle lathe

The weather was bad but I sure dropped lucky

MG-42, Tool steel is good but it would be nice to have MONEY to buy things, I know that feeling all to well these days as do many others here that are as they call them now "damaged goods" at the SS office. Last weekend I stopped at another estate sale and bought a Dixon jewelers stake for $8, covered in rust but other than that not much signs of use, no dings. Spent the rest of the week cleaning the fuzzy rust off, looks good now. <_<

The local scrapyard owner was at my work to discuss a project that will involve him pulling out about 400 feet of railway track. When I told him I was a blacksmith, and asked if I could check out his yard, he said sure, look around and help yourself! When I went there yesterday I noticed a fair size pile of what I recognized as rifle barrels, in different degrees of completeness. I asked where they came from, already knowing the answer, as I had worked for Green Mountain Rifle Barrels in Conway, NH. I was told I could have anything that was not already drilled and rifled. Got some great drops in 3/4 to 1 1/4 dia, 18 to 24 inches long, all 4140! FREE! Also got a 1 ton chain fall that came out of the now defunct paper mill, only thing is, since I don't have a 20 foot ceiling in my shop, I have to shorten the pull chain just a bit...

The long chain fall chain is very nice some days. Means that your assistant isn't up your grill while you are doing something (or the other way around). Get a bucket and put the extra in to keep it neat, but unless it was really way too excessively unbelievably long I would leave it long.
Phil

The local scrapyard owner was at my work to discuss a project that will involve him pulling out about 400 feet of railway track. When I told him I was a blacksmith, and asked if I could check out his yard, he said sure, look around and help yourself! When I went there yesterday I noticed a fair size pile of what I recognized as rifle barrels, in different degrees of completeness. I asked where they came from, already knowing the answer, as I had worked for Green Mountain Rifle Barrels in Conway, NH. I was told I could have anything that was not already drilled and rifled. Got some great drops in 3/4 to 1 1/4 dia, 18 to 24 inches long, all 4140! FREE! Also got a 1 ton chain fall that came out of the now defunct paper mill, only thing is, since I don't have a 20 foot ceiling in my shop, I have to shorten the pull chain just a bit...

Not only outstanding scores a terrific contact too! You a lucky DOG!

If the chainfall chain is too long simply change the lift hook to a chain hook and you'll be able to adjust the length by wrapping the chain around the victim and grabbing as high on the standing chain as you like.

I wish all my problems were that much of a challenge. :P

Frosty the Lucky.

16568' according to the safety lecture; Highest I have ever stood on "dirt" and still lots of "up" available as our site is on a plateau with mountains around it.

I am *really* impressed with the people who have to do the construction work out here! You can "gray out" just walking at a slow walk.

Please be careful Thomas, altitude sickness is not to be taken lightly, you're not exactly slender. When I was a kid in Santa Fe we'd take our flat land cousins up into the Sangre de Christos and watch them suffer, great fun at some 11,000 feet until one of them had and asthma attack, dang near killed him. :unsure:
They going to let the blade on the plane for the return trip? <_<