• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I picked up a couple more leg vices recently. One was a roughly 70 pound Peter Wright in good shape, and this bruiser. It's approximately 170 pounds and has 7 1/4" jaws. It's in excellent shape. Although I can't find a name, it is similar to other Peter Wrights I have seen. It's a good grunt to move this one around and assemble it after cleaning (that's a 2 pound cross pein next to it for comparison).

15137.attach

15138.attach

15139.attach

15140.attach

Was walking past the scrap pile and noticed a piece of 8mm steel plate, 650mm x 1,840mm. I really was just happening to be pushing the scale along with me so flipped it on. It weighed about 75Kg. I note from the calculator on another site that that is exactly correct (so I even got my scales checked for free). Not a mark on the plate except for some rust. So I think that that could be an important feature in the extended workshop!

My first post vise and 412lbs of 5" square HR4160. The post vise is only a 4" one, but it's in great condition. The 4160 was in one piece, but a friend cut it in half for me. That's two 206lb pieces at a little over 29" long. I will keep one piece for my knife anvil and sell the other one.
Went through my scrap stash this afternoon and I have enough stuff to build stands for the post vise and knife anvil.

15412.attach

Well, its been a REALY good couple a weeks for the shop! I realy like old machines... Sometimes I wonder why, as most of them need some repair or cleaning and usually both. It is a nice way to get to know a new machine though....
Anyway, here are some pictures of what followed me to my shop
Niagara ring and circle shear
Famco 58" stomp shear
WoodWorking machines Bandsaw, took the table off to put a crown on the wheels...Not the helper wishing that stick (to the left) would fly.
Craftsman 12'' planer
Carolina metal cutting band saw

The 2 shears are the tools that make me the most happy. Now I can cut disks for spinning in no time. the rest are a bonus to the collection.

15592.attach

15593.attach

15594.attach

15595.attach

Didn't actually follow me, but Sunday I was working on some BBQ tools and a buddy pulled down the drive and backed up to my shop and unloaded 8 8' long pieces of 1" sucker rod.

Then yesturday saw a listing on the local Craigs List, FREE section, "2 acetylene tanks. HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY."
Sent off an email saying "I'll take em. Be there when I get off work. What's the addy."
Pulled in the drive, and found out why they were "HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY."
She was pushing 80.
Anyway, got 2 75cf tanks, with gas, that just might pass the hydro!

Out by the *old* town dump and saw some rod sticking out of rotted timbers on Saturday. Looking at the striations I realize it's real wrought iron and managed to extract 3 pieces the same diameter---around 1/2" and the same length around 6'.

Now I have the stock I need to do a copy of the Oseberg tripod! For Free even!

While trolling Craigslist, I found a post for a SHER something anvil 1838 105# for $150 dollars. I called and the guy said the edges were in good shape. So I said I'll take it. Got it home and hit it with the knotted wire wheel to get the loose paint off and here she is. I looked it up in the R. Postman book and couldn't find a reference to the S on the foot. I'm going to read the whole section closely. Anyone have any ideas. Some of the adverts in the book showed other letters.

Thanks, Rob.

BTW only one bad spot on the edge closest and the date was 1935. I think the edges are almost too sharp.

15730.attach

15731.attach

15732.attach

15733.attach

Edited by piglet_74
added date