I Forge Iron

All I can say is....Brain vomit.

OK, this comment is probably going to prove that I am more of a craftsman rather than an artist or art critic.  It is interesting in the various shapes but it is not something that I would want to have sitting in my house to look at every day of the rest of my life.  It does not "say" anything to me.  It is interesting but not beautiful.  It will catch my eye for a bit while I examine it and try to decide if there is something there that I did not see at first glance but is not interesting enough that I would enjoy contemplating it for an extended period.

To me, it looks like it should do something.  The "fans" look like some sort of sliding scales used to measure angles or thicknesses.

The largest fan reminds me of the horsehair crest of a Greek helmet.

All this comment probably does is show that I do not have a sophisticated appreciation of "Art" but I am OK with that.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The first pic reminded me of a Greek helm or perhaps a leaping fish or such. After that it looks like an exercise or perhaps proof of concept piece. Maybe not as harsh as George but it obviously evokes a stronger emotional response in him. 

I'd be more concerned about rubbing you the wrong way but the thread name you coined says you don't think much more of it either.  What did you have in mind David? 

Frosty The Lucky.

There is so much going on here and I love it. Abstract sculpture is a favorite of mine. I like to make up stories in my head of what it means. 

Like this one to me looks like it could signify the sunrise and sunset as well as the solar system. Or those marble maze towers my siblings and I made out of toilet paper tubes and paper plates when we were kids. 

I would love to know if you had a concept in mind or if you were just piecing parts together that "looked right". 

I usually like to make and look at things like birds, bugs, fish ect...  I find this type of work confusing.  I think you did fantastic on the construction and suppose if it had some moving parts I would see some sort of perpetual motion machine.  Or maybe a puzzle or code built into it.

I think it is great. I can see all kinds of different things in it depending on the view angle. I see a seahorse, dragon, roman helmet and other things. The more I look at it the more interesting it is.

The joinery is very well done and it has nice shapes forged into the steel. 

It is a wonderful work of art. I'm not one to call someone's vomit art, tho there are those out there. But I think it is a very interesting concept thought up and forged out. And whether you keep it or not, it would be absolutely amazing piece to own and appreciate to someone out there. 

On 11/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, George N. M. said:

It does not "say" anything to me

Well George that’s cause ya ain’t introduced yerself yet! :lol: Bahaha,

Seriously though im with ya I don’t understand the abstract art no matter what type it is,

but….. on the other hand look at what those dudes Picasso an Dali’s stuff is goin for nowadays! Weird stuff to me but other people love that!

Just cause you an Me don’t get it, don’t mean someone else won’t find it awesome! just sayin! 

True dat.  As they used to say back in the olden days, "Different strokes for different folks."

I can look at something an appreciate the craftsmanship in it.  The craftsmanship in David's piece is very high.  Or it may evoke a reaction in me, good or bad.  But that does not mean that I would want it in my house to see every day.  if I'm going to spend my money or give something a place in my daily environment it is going to be something that somehow gives me pleasure when I see it.  It may be something beautiful or it may remind me of someone I love or it may remind me of some past pleasurable experience.  If it makes me smile or feel good it is in.  If it doesn't it won't come into my life.

But because we are all unique and have different buttons that can be pushed what I like will leave other folk cold and vice versa.  No good or bad, just different.

GNM

I'm with Daswulf, in the first picture, I see an old mariner with a Sextant navigating by the stars. The second picture a Roman Centurian mounted on his horse leading a charge. The last picture an old tavern keeper puffing on his clay pipe. The only thing that throws me off is the color, the blue distracts from the piece for me. I think a better color would be gold, bronze or copper. But all in all, I like it very much and I'm not a fan of "modern art".

I appreciate all your comments. Here are the 5 W's about this piece.

I started smithing in January 2012. I took a 2 day class in Spokane, Wa with Steve McGrew. I never took another class. I'd forge, weld and plasma cut stuff with my 2 daughters Mady was 9 and Morgan-Jade was 6.

Later that year the day after our anniversary, on Sept 1st, Morgan-Jade died, unexpectedly and not for sure why. After weeks of trying to get a foot hold and move forward. Gina(my wife) told me I had to go to the shop. She didn't care if I came right back home. But she wanted to see that the alarm had been reset. After the 4th day of doing that, I needed a tool to fix something at the house. On my work bench was a big wild flower that the girls and I had started. Literally with a chatter chin, sobbing like a baby I finished that piece. After that I went and made....stuff. Anything, a hook, piece of wall art, door handles...whatever. A good friend of mine, Jess was laid off. He is a fantastic junk yard artist. He looks at crap and sees a fish, bigfoot, owl, cockroach.....etc. I don’t. I see things in my head, take stock steel and form the shape I want. So we messed around in the shop, creating, laughing, and crying. I would listen to music...Adel, Guns and Roses, Simon and Garfunkel, Brooks and Dunn, Elton John, Pear Jam. One day a guy walked in the smithy to see a 6'3" 275lb man swinging a hammer, banging hot steel, balling his eyes out listening to Adel. Lol. He'll never get that image out of his head. I realized I didn't care he was there, I needed to cry. So I did. Our currency changed, we deal in real, raw, emotion and are not embarrassed. Happy or sad and we help one another.

Not to long after that I started Morgan-Jade Ironworks and Forge. I still think about Morgan-Jade how spunky she was, loved to dance, full of attitude, bold, fearless, thought the world of her big sister. Fierce w/ a tender heart, didn't hide her emotions. Her face always said everything she was thinking. The best description is, people loved Mady because she is kind, generous, and caring. They loved Morgan-Jade because she told them to. Lol. She was a big personality, with a lot of energy, in little blue eyed blond haired bottle. These thoughts bring feeling and emotions. Like the pain from all the trauma we have been thru, love I have for my Family, big holes in my heart from loved ones who are asleep in death. Hurt, watching my wife and daughter live w/o Morgan-Jade. Sadness of saving 3 seats instead of 4 at meetings in the Kingdom Hall. The pride, knowing Gina and I raised one hell of a daughter. Mady knows her way around the smithy, works hard, doesn't shy away from heavy labor, works circles around men her age and many her senior, a problem solver not a creator, figures out a way to make it happen. She is a certified MA, has a job, bought her own car and contributes to the world. Gina is the anvil in my life. We are 26 years strong. We are kept warm due to the love and support the Brothers and Sisters have shown through our entire lives. There's also the frustration of having to take meds because my bipolar downs damage my life and relationships. The meds help me not have the lows....but they also kill the high guy who's everything good I love being. So I settle for the in-between guy never crazy happy, productive, inspiring. But also never crazy depressed self-destructive, with my head in a dark hole while everything I love burns down around me. I struggle to live in the middle somewhere so I can be a good husband, father, faithful servant, son, and neighbor. 

The back of my shirts say, "Fire, Hammer, Anvil, Heart of a craftsman. I put it there so that every time I pull it up my arms, just before I raise my arms to duck my head in, I am reminded of how blessed my life, is, how beautiful my family is, how Jehovah god will resurrect back Morgan-Jade in the paradise and we will never be without one another again. How wonderful the family we have chosen is.

So....yep.... That where this piece comes from. It's a celebration of our biggest wins and worst losses. It's bold, raw(the lighting is why it looks blue), beaten, twisted, skillful, clever, hurt, loving, confused, little bitter, whimsical, hard, faithful, crushed, blessed, borrowed, gnarly, resilient, complex, brutish, fantastic.....its my life. I love this piece. I loved all the emotions/memories good and bad that ran thru my mind as I shaped every piece. I have worked on this here and there for 5 years. 

This piece is for me, this is my piece, for my family. My childhood friend just lost her son to cancer and another friends daughter is being treated. My heart hurts for them.....so I went to my shop disarmed the alarm and finish a piece that has been on my work bench. It's just a distraction that gives me time to process a lot of emotions.

Morgan-Jade would go nuts about it, look at every bit of it ask some questions. Then probably give me a thumbs up and say, "it's awesome dad".

Brain vomit is my way of not having to explain all this anytime I post pics of my emotionally inspired works.

Even before reading your heartfelt narrative I didn't have a problem with the abstract nature of your sculpture.  It reminds me of Louise Nevelson or David Smith's work, both celebrated modern sculptors, just on a smaller scale.  Balance, composition and technique are all strong.  Scale your piece up 10X and it wouldn't be out of place at Storm King.  I think your post title mislead other reviewers, but everyone is entitled to their own aesthetic sensibilities.

Art is inspired from many sources, but I believe that passion is one of the most important ones.  I could digress into a long discussion of my philosophy of art (possibly even digging up my old masters thesis from my MFA), but don't want to bore everyone.  You clearly are passionate, that is the key. 

I completely agree with Latticino. The resemblance with Nevelson didn't leap out at me, but I'm not as familiar with her freestanding work; there's certainly a strong connection with Smith.

The point is that a sculpture doesn't necessarily have to represent anything in order to convey something. It stands or falls on how it explores space and shape, on how the sculptor constructs the composition of masses and visual weights, of movements and rests. It may evoke other forms, but it doesn't have to. The composition of this piece is excellent, and the contrast between the modern artistry and the traditional construction is very cool.

Thank you for sharing your story and what your sculpture represents and means to you.  I didn't understand the title you gave it but it is clear to me now.  By sharing this you have helped me put some things in my own life in perspective.  A very positive thing that I needed.  And I may never look at abstract art the same way again.

David, first let me offer my condolences for the loss of your daughter.  Losing someone you love so much is VERY tough.  I went through it in 2014 when I lost my wife.  All I can say is that, and I think you are doing this, is to celebrate the 6 years you had with Morgan-Jade rather than mourn the loss.  That is how I deal with not having Martha in my life any more.

Second, this has been a very interesting discussion of Art and aesthetics.  I really appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that went into your piece.  It is of a very high level.  But for me, it doesn't "sing." That is just the same way something that attracts me may leave someone else untouched.

Also, glad to have you back on the forum.

GNM

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

The resemblance with Nevelson didn't leap out at me

John,

I agree, not as close as Smith, but still:

Here is one of her tabletop maquettes:

H4298-L251640040_original.jpg

And the one I lived next to for four years back in the late 70's early 80's (also not universally accepted):

236px-Transparent_Horizon_by_Louise_Neve

David- thank you for sharing the piece, and your story. You certainly have the technical skills, but more important you have something deeper to push those skills to another level. Keep making, keep sharing that way you honor the memory that drives you.

Steve

13 hours ago, David Kailey said:

Brain vomit is my way of not having to explain all this anytime I post pics of my emotionally inspired works.

David, thank you for relating some of the history of your piece. Knowing that I really love it now. Just be aware that there are many IFI members who will consider you and your family as part of our extended remote family. This evening I will be in the Celtic garden and ring the anvil there, to honor Morgan-Jade and ask with a tear in my eye for healing light and comfort be sent to you and your family.

I understand the title of the thread now. Maybe, I think.  I understand pain and mood issues though I won't go into mine. 

I'm still not crazy about the piece but it will forever evoke a strong feeling in me. 

I hope telling us your story is as helpful for you as it is sobering for me. It adds another layer to my prayers.

Be well brother, we're with you.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 1:12 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

David, thank you for relating some of the history of your piece. Knowing that I really love it now. Just be aware that there are many IFI members who will consider you and your family as part of our extended remote family. This evening I will be in the Celtic garden and ring the anvil there, to honor Morgan-Jade and ask with a tear in my eye for healing light and comfort be sent to you and your family.

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.