I Forge Iron

SOFA Quadstate 2022, best day to attend?

For the past several years, whenever we've gone to Quadstate and actually shown up Friday, the majority of the stuff for sale has already been picked over and sold.  In fact, it's not unusual to see vendors packing up and getting ready to go home Friday night.  Can anyone offer any insight into what day would be the best day to show up, for maximum purchasing opportunities?  I'm willing to take time off work and go down early, even on Wednesday, if that's what it takes.

I plan to arrive Wednesday night; but not be set up to sell until Thursday.  I plan to have some stuff priced US$5 Thursday/Friday, US$4 Saturday and US$3 Sunday, choice, each.

The best bargains I've found to buy were during vendor's packing Sunday; 6.5" post vise for US$50 sticks in my mind.

It would be like any fleamarket, the early bird gets the worm, and the late bird gets the deals on whatever no one wants to haul back home. 

I will likely get there friday mid day or evening. Not really planning any purchases tho unless I see something for a good price that I can't resist.

Hope I make it to the demos atleast. And meet some people I've only talked with before. 

Das, i hope you look like that picture for your profile. 

Mark Ling, little blacksmith, will be demoing we should all make it a point to see him and support him there. Even if we do not actually meet being under the same roof greatly increases the chance. 

I will be the fat old redneck in a worn out hat, t-shirt and camouflaged britches. That should narrow it down :D

Yup, I pretty much look like that haha. Hat is typically more worn and I've earned more grey hairs.   My name is Aric if you happen to catch a name tag. Might write Daswulf on it too if there is room. 

I don't want to miss Marks demo so I should be there for it.  

Was chilly Friday morning so the lederhosen and aloha shirt made a brief appearance Friday afternoon.  I bought some stuff and spent way too much time walking and talking!    I hope I can convince my 3 forge buddies that provided transportation to do it again sometime; pickup pooling really helps on travel costs!

"Buying out the tailgating section"  sounds like an impossibility!   When the NM Anvil collector first hit Quad-State he bought 30 anvils his first visit and a trailer to get them home.  Hardly a blip in the number for sale----there were at least 100 post vises for sale this year.

Here's a pic of one tailgater I took on our way out going home:

KIMG0219.thumb.JPG.8278f5d09efe5d3ce824206dcc161515.JPG

You said convoy of semis. What do you consider a convoy and how do you use the term, noun or verb? Back in my CB days a convoy (noun) had 3 or more rigs but to convoy (verb) was to travel together. 

Recently I discovered RVs "caravan." I'd be lucky if Deb let me load more than a couple hammers in hers, pull a trailer?  HAH! 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well lets just say that it took more than 1 flat bed semi to move my smithing stuff to NM; 3 pallets had to go common carrier.   I'm betting that you could move all the tailgating stuff at QS with a couple of Dozen semi's.  Will that make the grade?  (One year there were over 10 power hammers on-site. Only saw a couple this year; price of gas seems to drag down the amount of HEAVY stuff.)