I Forge Iron

Blacksmith in Art

George N. M.

I think he is talking about the orientation of the horn with respect to which side the hammer is on. Hammer to the heel puts the horn in the most efficient location for working on the horn. And lest we forget, as cool a source as Richardson's is, it has its anomalies. You will find proper and improper methods documented in his book. I've seen that pic. I believe also that the anvil is much closer to the forge than the basic triangle setup with a step and a half to the anvil. I consider this a variation on a theme, not a difference. 

On 3/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I think it depends one what you are doing and how you do it! Like do you stand facing the side of the anvil or facing parallel to the long axis of the anvil for instance

It does depend on what you are doing, so is not an either/ or situation, its a both/ and deal. For instance, when I'm doing a half faced blow and then using the edge of my hammer face as a cross peen and drawing out the foot twards the edge or drawing out the lobes on a leaf with the cross peen fore and aft along the edge, i stand parallel to the long axes. If I am drawing out say a simple taper, my iron is often on a diagonal to the face of the anvil, and I stand perpendicular to the long axes and do most of my fo. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got that thumb on top of the hammer handle. Also anvil height is either too low or too high depending but it seems he is standing to forge so likely too low. I have seen that far away stance in beginners. 

"I am just kidding around."

It is a neat early depiction. 

The subject of ancient painting is quite fascinating, and it's worth noting that practically all of the marble statues of antiquity were probably painted in quite garish colors that simply didn't survive the intervening millennia. The modern understanding of ancient Greece and Rome as an environment of pristine white marble is almost entirely wrong (but that didn't stop artists and architects of the neoclassical revival of the last few centuries from trying to reproduce it).

Ivory has been used as a base for painting for centuries, as it can be polished quite smooth and thus take a great deal of fine detail. 18th and 19th century miniature portraits in particular were usually painted on plaques of ivory.

At the Archaeological Museum in Constaniople/Istanbul is a wonderfully carved (Greeks fighting Persians) huge Greek sarcophogous on which the paint is preserved (if faded) and a full color reproduction.  Very impressive.  The museum has marvelous things and is very under appreciated or visited compared with the nearby Hagia Sophia and the Basilica Cistern (roughly across the street).  If you ever go and this is your area of interest do not miss it.

GNM

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Scott NC said:

Do you suppose he pounded that stake anvil into a log buried in the sand? 

When I put my cheater glasses on it does look like it's attached to some form of wood, possibly drift wood from a trader passing through.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Pretty interesting picture. When you zoom in on the anvil it looks like the shelf that would stop it from sinking is wedged in the crotch of a sideways branch. You can also see the tip of a clay tuyere going into the fire from the right so the bag the guy on the right is holding is most likely the air supply, and I think he has a second air bladder that's empty in his other hand, double lung style as frosty suggested. Oh, and you can see (char)coal in the wide basket on the far left, maybe more in the basket in front of the center man.

I also like looking at the background, I see a cook fire in the top left corner tended by women, and 2 or 3 other possible blacksmith groups behind the woman with a child and the guy lighting his smoke with a coal. All this is going on about a day's walk from the town that you can see in the far background. Possibly getting ready for some trading?