George N. M.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Scott, it's an interesting article and a fine Norman Rockwell painting. It's also an object lesson, if I'm ever deemed a great artist and want to donate something to a museum I think I'll put it in a trust reverting back to the family if they try to sell it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That brings up the question of when the bench/machinist's vise came into use.  My guess would be the 2d half of the 19th century.  Prior to that most metal vises were post vises.  I have seen some illustrations of late medieval or renaissance armorers' vises that did not have a leg or post and were akin to modern bench/machist's vises.  But I suspect they were uncommon and pretty specialized.

GNM

I just did a little quick Google research and found the site (commercial, so I won’t link it here) for a German vise manufacturer that claims that the parallel-jaw vise was invented in 1750. I suspect that they didn’t really catch on until casting and machining technology had advanced enough to make such vises reliable and affordable. 

(That same site says that the first cast iron vise was made in England in the 1830s.)

• 4 weeks later...