Blacksmith in Art

George N. M.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't been able to find a reverse angle shot (probably because there's a lake right there), but another photo I saw makes it pretty clear that whatever he is forging is not part of his clothing, but looks like a bundle of hair or flame. Maybe this is supposed to represent him forging Zeus's thunderbolts?

53fbaa5d0962459e9b50621eabd296d9_orig.jpg

Hephaestus was usually represented wearing the ἐξωμίς (exomis), a simple garment worn by workmen and slaves. However, the historical version of that garment fastened on the left shoulder, thus:

Exomis.jpg

(Not that we'd expect a sculptor who takes such artistic license -- even artistic licentiousness -- to be concerned with the norms of classical art, of course.)

He couldn't find his hold down so he is improvising. 

It would look a bit more awkward if they were showing him using the blacksmiths third hand (holding the workpiece or tongs with his inner thighs) with him wearing nothing but a loincloth. Imagine what those that didn't know would think.

The sculpture from the Chimei Museum instantly made me hear, "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!', in my head. :lol:

Seriously though JHCC mentioning it looks like a bundle of hair perhaps he's forging his helpers. 

Pnut

Would old black and white historical photo's of smiths and such count?  I've always considered them a bit artistic.

Jerry, my sister will make a poster for a price.  She said discount for two (I want one).  She's got a plotter printer or whatever they are called.   Bet I could talk her down to free. :)  Shipping can't cost that much!

rg3542-95-14 sfn2043_800.jpg

I wonder what all those guys are waiting for the dog to do?

If she'll do it I'd like a poster of the Baroque blacksmith Jobteil posted. It'd be worth plenty just to see the look on Deb's face when I hang in on a living room wall. I'll have to take down something of hers to generate full effect of course but I heal pretty fast. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I try Scott, I really do. Nice piece of art and now I know who Nijinski was. Eye candy AND something new to tuck into a fold of my brain. 

I come back from one of Deb's therapy sessions, chase the dogs around a little, drag up another sled of firewood, enjoy another gloriously clear day and come in to what I'm calling a win win. 

Thanks Scott.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, anytime.... :)

Here is a mural I found on the internet.  It's in Dillsboro, NC and might be worth a visit to see it and The Metals Shop that features the first blacksmith forges and art foundry ever fired on landfill gas.  They have glass blowing as well.

green_energy_park_blacksmith_sm.jpg.26fe2d5c5dff914a3e06f31815ee934f.jpg

I see he has no safety glasses on.....

https://www.muraltrail.com/cgi-bin/dillsboro/green-energy-park/

Edited by Nodebt
Fix a thing

I also notice that he is choked up on his hammer as all the hands in the corner are too.  It also appears that he is hammering cold iron.  The anvil is oriented 180 degrees from the normal orientation for a right handed smith.  I suspect that the artist had seen a blacksmith at work once but it was a long time ago and from a distance.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Let us tear that mural to pieces.  I noticed all that stuff too.  Why is there a a sign that says "work" on the anvil?  Good gravey!  Did anybody catch the part about using dump gas to fuel a forge, foundry and glass blowing forge/furnass?  Maybe they are doing some good things there.  Maybe livestock methane may be the blacksmiths last resort someday!  :)

I don't know that there is a normal orientation for a smith; last time I got into this discussion I did a trawl through all 4 volumes of "Practical Blacksmithing" and recorded the anvil orientation WRT the forge on any drawings of shop set up. As I recall the first one had the anvils horn pointed directly at the forge as they did mainly  rings in that shop...I think it depends one what you are doing and how you do it! Like do you stand facing the side of the anvil or facing parallel to the long axis of the anvil for instance.  Both are documented stances.