I Forge Iron

How to protect a signed handle?

Dr. Rusty

Hi all. I have a Hofi Hammer that Uri signed on both sides of the handle.

Any tips on how I could protect that portion of the handle so that I can still see the signatures without wearing them off or giving myself blisters? So far, it doesn't seem like I hold that part of the handle much, but I'm concerned that basing my hand location on preserving aesthetics won't end well for me; I'm currently receiving PT for tennis elbow and I want to proceed with caution.

B3B5D339-C5E9-4E86-AF3C-71C5D0DA4688.jpeg

68A24DCA-E415-4BC7-82B7-ADF7602073D6.jpeg

So take a picture for the wall before doing so.  Having it burned in means they can still use it and have something to show.  My laurel scroll is a runestone and the carver carved in the signatures of the then current royalty of the Middle Kingdom in the SCA; Works fine for me---my wife claims she will use it as my headstone.

It comes down to "will this be a "collectable" item and so not to be touched or used; or will this be used and show the wear of such use over time!"

If it were me I'd warm the handle to (as Frosty would say) fresh cup of coffee hot with a heat gun, since flame might degrade the ink or burn the wood dark if not Very careful,  and use the blo, turpentine, beeswax mix on it. It seems to penetrate better when the wood handle is warmed up and should protect the signature.  Rub it in with some of the wax mix on a rag and give it more till it won't absorb more then buff off the excess once it is cooling with a clean rag.  Rub in a little at a time to the signature area as to not saturate and possibly distort the ink. 

The mix I like is 1 part beeswax melted in a pot over an electric burner to one half part BLO and one half part turpentine. 

If you are worried do a test piece of wood and draw whatever in sharpie if that's what it is to test and make sure the procedure won't ruin your original. 

This might be a silly suggestion but can’t you just contact mr uri an ask pretty please to have him sign something else like a picture or something an ship it to you? 

that way you could use the hammer an not worry about the signature wearing off? 

Or if that’s not possible then like frosty said just make another handle and frame that one

You have all given me many options to think about. Still processing. 

I believe it is sharpie.

I do not have the skills or knowledge to do stabilization.

I want to actively use the hammer. 

I'm very hesitant to replace the handle. 

The BLO ideas are great, so too the idea of forcing the signature into the handle of the wood itself.

Thank you all!

How about getting a picture of you holding the hammer and asking Uri to sign and authenticate it for you? He's a wonderful guy I'm sure he'd be please to, might want a copy for himself to show off. 

I'd hate to have one of his hammers and be afraid to use it. 

Frosty The Lucky.