I Forge Iron

Palmgren anvil vise?

Has anybody had any experience with a Palmgren anvil vise?  I am looking for a new bench vise and stumbled across this one.  I am looking to do light duty smithing, and metalwork, but I also ama  home mechanic and woodworker, so looking for a decent vise that I can stick suspension parts in and beat on with a hammer, or bend some flat mild steel bar up to 1/4" etc.  Home Depot carries them and Summit racing, but I have only seen 1 review, so curious to see how useful it would be for a jack of all trades kind of guy?

Link removed as it is an advertisement, no information.

Palmgren 9629749 - Palmgren Anvil Bench Vises

That's a new one on me. If it's actually cast steel with a hardened face I wouldn't hate having one on a bench in my shop. It appears to be solid from face to base so if you have it bolted to something solid it should be reasonably effective as a light duty anvil. 

I don't have an opinion beyond what I see in the picture, the video is a commercial that doesn't say a thing about this vise. I'll have to take a look next tie I'm in Home Depot, maybe sneak in a scribe and see if the face is hardened. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Interesting.. It has a hardened steel "anvil" face.. That doesn't mean it will make a good anvil and I probably wouldn't use it as such (heavy hammering). However for relatively light duty stuff it's an interesting feature. My concern would be that there is a bit of a multi-tool thing going on here (passable for multiple uses, but ideal for neither one).. If you want to actually hammer on your vise there really isn't a replacement for a post vise. My non-professional opinion is that it's interesting but potentially a little gimmicky. I'll defer to others here.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

It appears to be solid from face to base so if you have it bolted to something solid it should be reasonably effective as a light duty anvil. 

Hey Frosty, they don't carry it in store.  So I would have to order it and it would arrive in a few days.  I have no idea what it weighs etc.  I am sure Home Depot would let me return it within return time etc but I just don't want  there to be any hassle since its a "special order".

1 hour ago, Frazer said:

I probably wouldn't use it as such (heavy hammering). However for relatively light duty stuff it's an interesting feature.

Yeah I guess being new to all this I am not really sure what constitutes "heavy hammering" vs "light duty". A company on line has a anvil vise that looks very similar and in the video the lady says its good for light duty like copper work or leatherwork.  However I am hoping to do what I consider light duty blacksmithing, maybe my terminology is completely wrong.  I am a long time woodworker wanting to be able to forge my own smaller tools and accessories.  Like perhaps small marking knives, forged nails, planing spike(think railroad spike bent into an L shape with the short part flattened and slightly sharp), and other small accessories to add to my woodworking.  Here is the other one that looks similar and the video is there where she explains its uses:

Link removed

Hey SMP, no need to quote me if my comment is the one just before. If there is a specific sentence or statement that you are responding to you can highlight that statement and click the little box that will appear that says "Quote". No hard feelings. It's just saves people from reading the same content twice in a row. READ THIS FIRST

Because it is steel you'll be able to get away with more than you would on it's cast iron lookalike. I guess the best way I could describe it would be if you want to draw out (lengthen) some stock and it will require repeated striking with anything above a moderate amount of force a vise wouldn't be my first choice. Even if it's steel and has a striking surface. An important caveat to that would be that it depends on what you're making. If you're making a nail (very light use) you'll probably be fine. You could maybe do everything listed above, but don't take my word for it. I can't provide you with a reasonable limit off-hand. I would use your discretion and not try to ask to much of a tool at isn't intended to be used solely for wacking on. I will tell you that a piece of steel you can find at a scrapyard will make for a better anvil than the one that is featured on that vise. Check out the improvised anvil thread for some examples.

I’m not sure I would say that nail heading is light duty. I guess if you’re not as aggressive as I’m am with it maybe… Keep in mind that being cast steel this should be a very durable vise, but the face is unsupported, as is the moving jaw. 

Just my two cents…

David

An indication of what the vise can do as an anvil is to turn it over. If the vise body is hollow, light duty may be too much to use it as an anvil.  If the vise body is solid, then it may be acceptable as light duty.  

As a blacksmith, you will find that a 2 or 3 pound hammer is a working size.  Depending on the project, another blacksmith will  consider a 2 or 3 pound hammer light duty as he goes to his 25, 50, or 100 pound mechanical hammer.  Duty is also related to the power of the swing of the hammer, and the size of the stock being worked.

As was mentioned the improvised anvil thread should give you several ideas for a working anvil.  It does not have to look like a London pattern anvil to be useful.

23 hours ago, SMP said:

they don't carry it in store.  So I would have to order it and it would arrive in a few days. 

I'd pass then, returning a special order is a hassle. 

A good bench vise and improvised anvil are EZ PZ. If you REALLY NEED a vise you can hammer on try mounting 2 vertical rail anvils rail to rail so you can clamp them together like a vise and hammer away.

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

That isn't the only slick clamp Tristan's come up with, I have one of his cam lock hold fasts and it works slick as it gets.

Thanks man!  

I like how the water comment went straight to single malt, been way to long for me. I think it would go well with a campfire as well since its always a good place for coming up with ideas.

We'll have to do that again Tristan though I don't know about hauling my anvil and forge along. We discovered the best time to sit around a camp fire on the Homer Spit was in the morning. Hardly a breeze, the Katchemak Bay was glassy calm, otters cracking shell fish and floating with the tide. It was a great time to sit by the fire pit, sip coffee, watch the sunrise and listen to an audio book. 

I looked in every gift shop but couldn't find a T or Sweatshirt with the moto. "Homer Ak, time well wasted." Deb has one I've always coveted. <sigh> 

Anyway, I've found a pleasant, inexpensive single malt some time ago by name of, "Highland Park, Magnus."  It's slightly sweet, hint of smoke and smooth as a baby's cheek. It's been my favorite since I picked some up on sale, regular price hovers around $49./ 1/5.

Frosty The Lucky.