I Forge Iron

OUCH!

ThomasPowers

Welcome to AMERICA! 

I doubt your Grandson is terribly traumatized. A lot of that comes from not knowing what to do and feeling helpless in an emergency. He not only handled himself well, he took charge and handled the situation. He may be a little rattled, it can take adrenaline a couple hours to clear your system and longer for the fatigue poisons to clear. It doesn't mean more than that.

Kids handle life threatening emergencies regularly, just knowing how to dial 911 is often enough to get them through in traumatized.

Thomas, I'll be proud to have your Grandson at my back any day. He did GOOD!

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas, I can't help but think that maybe you should be extra careful and find a good sitting position or have a helmet on hand to put on in those risky times. Not saying it's all forewarned but if there is a possibility, be safer. You know your conditions. No sense being macho about it when your kids and grandchildren would like to have you around as long as they can. Let alone everyone here. Let's delay the "hey, remember when Thomas said this" or Thomas used to say..." 

Take a little silly extra precaution and make the reaper work harder. 

Or, as I usually feel,when it is our time, it's our time. But staples in the head suck. So precautions help with the misery level. Lol.

I find a cane to be mighty helpful when ones back is “out”. Getting up from a chair, the side of the bed or gods forbid the toilet sucks less. Bad news about back injuries is that your back spasms to self splint, and in the future it’s likely to over react to minor strains. Most anti inflanitories don’t pas the blood brain barrier. Myself I live in meloxican and neirontin.

Had a Dr appt for today; Dr called in sick and they suggested we drive an hour to an urgent care 50+ miles north.  Looks like I will be going to the Local ER instead as I've already hit my co-pay limit this year,  I'm going to fight to take my staples home with me and throw them in a billet for a *personal* blade...

I'm expecting the ER Dr to just tell me I'm getting too old to be doing this stuff; well I've known smiths in their 80's and 90's so I think I have a while yet!...(My wife already has my forging buddies trained to watch out for my going low...)

316L? The rest of that billet better be high grade! When they removed one of the screws from my ankle I thought about asking for it. But on second thought my skills don't include much work with stainless.

I agree with the sentiments about your well being. Be well, be safe, but enjoy life!

Are you thinking that all billets have to be made into knives?  Also 4 staples vs a bunch of HC steel; I doubt you can even see them! Hospital says to leave them in at least to Sunday now.  Flexeril and a shot of a NSAID at the Dr's today.  Going back to work Monday with "no lifting".

I was going to make a crack about muscle relaxants maybe helping with dealing with a college job but that'd be in poor taste. Remember, don't chew the tablets!

Here's hoping sitting in an office chair won't be too much of a pain in the back side. 

You know when Das brought up prolonging our lives as we age, then Twistedwillow mentions a day when newbies reading the archives ask about where the old gang went reminded me of morning coffee some years before my brush with death.

We were sitting at the counter talking about whatever the morning's subject was and one of the old guys asks out of the blue, "Where are the old timers?" Conversation stopped dead while we looked around and at each other. Expressions said nobody had thought about it but were taking notice. Then one of them, Mike Palmqu. . . said, "We ARE the old timers."

The counter was pretty quiet for a little while as we thought about the "counter culture" members who'd passed away over the preceding years. It was a sobering thought. Mike passed away less than a year later and two more went in the next couple years. The restaurant changed owners and the breakfast club stopped meeting and I was one of the oldest at the time. 

I haven't tried to find a new breakfast club since the accident, a few of the old guys were meeting at the restaurant not far from here but wouldn't you know it one of the least pleasant of them all was at the table. It wasn't any fun anymore. <sigh>

Be careful Thomas, I REALLY need guys around who can so handily best me at puns.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a scary thought that I might be one of the Old ones one day haha. I already feel in after 20 some odd years in a body shop. I try to see the new kids as me when i was starting out but they seem way less motivated and willing. I dunno.