I Forge Iron

What is this tool

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't made us mad, a little frustrated maybe. If you had made anyone mad we wouldn't bother answering you or go to the lengths we did to solve your questions. If I thought you were not worthy I would have you on ignore. Just hang in here, I probably would have the same trouble, if I were trying to post using my phone with my fat fingers.

There are no worms on my YouTube channel 

But the answers I got were not very happy or willing to help. the reasons I asked about replacing jaws is because I wanted to know if it could be converted into a fly press

And thank you George N. M. For really helping me.

QbBlacksmith, I got everyone really aggravated at me when I first started posting because I didn’t bother reading the read this first post, after I read it I did better but I still mess up every now and then, and I’m sure I’m still asking questions that annoy people.
    But it’s a learning process. There’s a lot of really good information on this forum and I’ve been meeting really nice people every day on here,

don’t run off just yet because it takes a little time to learn how everything works here.

I told you what your tool was on the very first post and I gave you a good search term to look it up, all you had to do was google it and start reading articles online  I bet you could have found more information than you could imagine about pipe vises.

I think all Frosty was asking is that you do a little research and you will be amazed at what you will find. I don’t believe anyone is angry at you, just take a little time and relax then just read post and see how everyone interacts on here and in no time you will have the swing of things. 

There isn’t yet a forging video on it just some crappy restoration vicious and my half restored post drill

And my bad grammar is do to auto correct it is replacing the words I want with words I don’t.

Videos not vicious 

And the name of my YouTube is QbBlacksmith

Your you tube channel has 3 videos. 

The first video is blank, a black screen. 

The second video shows trying to lightly sand the unsupported wooden handle of a wire brush with one hand, leaving the low spots and stains, and applying finish. 

The third video is showing that the drill press can move.

Some of us do quite a bit of word play on this site; puns and typos can spawn long digressions; often longer than the original threads. It's not a requirement to participate; but if you don't want to fall afoul of the folks with the twisted minds; *editing* is your friend.  I've ended up editing a single line post 4 times before just to repair the damage my fingers and mind do to the English language!  "As a typist; I swing a pretty good hammer!"

43 minutes ago, QbBlacksmith said:

I wanted to know if it could be converted into a fly press

I could not see one being converted to a useful fly press. With a ton of work and machining and building other parts for you might be able to make a mini fly press that probably would have no real use in forging.  I'd highly bet a machinist with all the equipment wouldn't bother trying. 

People were answering your questions meaningfully with what it was and even a few ideas on what it could be used for, and a little talk about editing and proofreading to ensure you can be understood.  I have to proof read and often edit my posts because of autocorrect or other mistakes from typing on a small phone keypad. It's just part of communicating this way. 

Fly and screw presses exert a substantial pressure spike when they bottom out against the workpiece and reverse and bounce back up. This pressure spike is what makes them particularly good for coining and die work.  It is also why they need to be strongly overbuilt.

Fly presses also have more than 2 leads to the screw; so that would not make a flypress even if it was beefed up to take the forces generated.

Autocorrect is just a first pass tool to improve what you typed.  You then need to review what autocorrect did with the words and spelling to see if that is what you actually wanted to say.  Then read what was written again to see if it is clear and understandable.

Tools are suppose to help make life easier, but you have to learn how to use them.

What is it that you want to do that requires a hydraullic press? (Or something like it?)  I was a smith for almost 20 years before I lucked onto a screwpress, paid US$100 at auction for a very large manual one; I love it but would not have ever bought a new one at new prices. So far with 40 years of smithing I've never owned a hydraulic press and don't expect to in the future.

The blacksmithing tool with the widest use cases is, of course, the power hammer; generally expensive, although I've owned 5 so far: US$75, $250, $750, $600, $0 <= last year; so they can be found at decent prices IF YOU LOOK hard enough.  Liking to do restoration can help a lot too.

If it is small work you could make/use swages. (Funny, autocorrect insisted I meant stages). Anyway, until you do come across the proper tools to what you want, it would be quicker and easier in this case to make top and bottom tools than to try to convert something that is not suited to a task that will end up working Very poorly or not at all. 

Either top handled and bottom tool or spring swages are options. 

TechnicusJoe has some good videos on drawing out metal by hand hammering on the anvil and in a swage. It all depends on what you are drawing out and to what shape or whatnot you are going for. 

I like to draw over the large horn of my anvil with the piece held at 90 deg to the long axis of the horn.  But you don't need a horn, a newer piece of RR rail will also have a nice crown on it to draw over, or a chunk of large shafting---like 6" diameter stuff, or...

I have a large screwpress but I don't use it to draw; too slow and hard on the shoulder!