I Forge Iron

What is this tool

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pipe vises are pretty common to see at garage, yard, etc. sales for next to nothing. Sometimes you get stuck with one in a take it all or leave what you want deal. 

You ARE hitting garage, yard, etc. sales aren't you? I know you're not in a city but folks everywhere want to sell old stuff before they have to make a dump run. I don't know how many ball pein hammers I've brought home for next to nothing. Hammers with broken handles can often get included in  another sale if you ask. 

Then again I LOVE bargaining at yard, garage, etc. sales, it's been years since I bought a hammer in a store.

Frosty The Lucky.

JHCC, your definitely right, just because it’s rusty doesn’t make it antique, that just the term I used when I suggested searching online photos for reference. 

I have seen people on Craigslist take a harbor freight anvil and strip off all the paint down then set it outside for a year to get it nice and rusty then try and pass it off as a (antique) anvil. I’ve seen the same thing in flea markets were a booth renter was trying to pass off reproduction dazy butter churns for several times their online cost. And one more instance were a guy was trying to sell a reproduction Sears catalog as an actual 100 year old copy for 10 times the cost online. The funny thing was it actually said reproduction at the top of the book. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Sometimes you get stuck with one in a take it all or leave what you want deal. 

Lol. I have a few from that scenario. Haven't found a need for them yet but you never know... 

Maybe mount it to hold different size pipe for ring bending? 

29 minutes ago, QbBlacksmith said:

Ok but that doesn’t answer my question should I find out about getting it I know this one is at least from the mid to late 70s

Qb,  that is an odd thing to say, as we cannot answer a question that you have not asked.

Please correct me if I am mistaken...

To answer your new question, can you imagine a use for it? I have one mounted adjacent to my post vise, and find it to be quite handy.  Be sure it has a complete set of jaws - top and bottom.  That is what makes it valuable, or not...

We can not tell much about its value from the grainy image prvided....

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

I'm sorry I didn't realize you had asked a question.  Was this it?

"Thank you is to worth finding out about"  I assume the "to" was supposed to be an "it", the lack of a "?" also caused confusion.  As I make a LOT of typos myself I find clicking on the three dots at the top right of a post and then clicking on "edit" helps a LOT! 

The answer would depend on: if you have a use for it? If you might have a use for it in the future? Do you have storage?  Do you like restoring rusty old tools? Also probably the most important bit of info" price!  As mentioned they are not rare and so a cheaper one might come your way if that one is priced high.

Yes it is possible to change out the jaws on some on some pipe vises, not possible (unless one can make the jaw(s) one's self) on others.

I had to make my own top jaw for my big pipie vise - not a job for those with limited "resources".

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

Pipe vises make good twisting vises with some mods. Grinding the teeth off for a start. Mounting it to a bench so it can't move and you have access to twist is important. Mounting it so it isn't in the way when you aren't using it is a factor, maybe more important than solid.

In the drill shop I welded female solid flight auger couplers inset in the welding table so I could drop various tools in place and get them out of my way when I didn't need them. I no longer have access to solid flight auger couplers and use 2" trailer hitch receiver tubing, male and female. Don't buy "trailer hitch" receiver tubing, it's WAY too expensive! I bought a 20' stick of heavy wall 2 1/4" square pipe for less than what 4, trailer receivers cost and buying a stick of receiver tubing was a special order here. You'll need specify the size of square tubing you buy to account for variances in wall thickness between makers, production runs, etc. Just take a piece of 2" square in with you and check before you buy it.

----------------------

QB. You're asking nonsense questions and using incredibly poor grammar doing so. Just because you see some rusty thing doesn't mean you should buy it. You don't know what it is. You don't have a use for it. You THINK it's an antique? 

I know I just told you to start doing some leg work of your own in another post so I won't go through it all again. 

We LIKE helping new folk but you have to have some idea what's involved in the craft and you don't. This isn't a forum to provide you with attention. We're here to talk blacksmithing, help folks and each other NOT provide a stage. 

Thomas comments about how disjointed and nonsensical your writing is. SLOW DOWN and stop talking text. Use ENGLISH. For example, What the HECK does, "yes on what no on what" Mean? Is that a statement? Is it a question? Is it something you didn't delete before you sent? That is a MEANINGLESS waste of bandwidth.

I understand your reading comprehension is poor to none but if you haven't noticed some of the most patient and helpful, knowledgeable people on the forum are starting to mock you. 

Before you reply look up what, "reading comprehension" and "mock" mean. I put the " around the phrases you need to use for search terms. Read the definitions carefully, if you don't understand them read them over until you do.

Frosty The Lucky.

And we're happy to help but YOU have to do your part. If you aren't willing to do the work you are going to have a darned hard time teaching yourself. Believe me, I'm largely self taught and it's really slow going with lots of wrong things to unlearn.

Stick around, just slow down, type carefully and pay attention. That's ALL we ask.

Frosty The Lucky.