I Forge Iron

Sin's Rant Post

SinDoc

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me awhile, but I did finally manage to get my grinder put back together. Friend had parts to me within days of it breaking and they just sat next to for a month before I bothered with it. Weather is supposed to be fairly nice the next few days so I am hoping I can get out and forge bit. I want to make some leaf hooks and a curtain rod to set in them. I figure a steel rod is less likely to be bent/broken by my 4 yr old doing something she isnt supposed to.

Yup! I was thinking of more or less fully enclosing the loops on the hooks, then make a neat kind of flared spiral on the end of the rod so it couldn't slide out. Granted that means it everything would essentially be one piece with the wall hooks floating.

Many curtains you have to thread the rod through to hang them, and taking back down sometimes to wash.  I suggest making at least one of your flared spirals threaded to screw on, or have a threaded hole into which you put a screw/bolt to lock it onto the rod.

Well I have been told that progress must be made on the bathroom tonight and this weekend. Looks like I will be demo'ing out more drywall to install a new light and run power up to it from an outlet that is being moved up as well. Going to install a Lutron Caseta switch so I can keep my switch next to the outlet that will be moved up to control the switching for it then install a remote Pico dimmer just outside the bathroom door where the existing switch is. Will save me from having to demo out 2 other walls to extended the existing switch leg to the lights new location.

Then I have to get the drain and water lines ready so I can get the new vanity put in. Looks like I wont be forging this weekend. :( 

The plumbing is what has been causing the lack of motivation. Its not that I can't do it or that it is hard, I just don't want to mess with it. I have to bring in the new plumbing for the new vanity as well as terminate the plumbing for the old vanity and remove it.

I don't mind electrical. I am not an electrician, but work in the industry so have a very good understanding of how everything is done as well as how to do it per code. Wife is excited that I am using those Caseta smart switches as she has been wanting to start making the house smart for awhile. Downside of these is those little buggers are 40 to 60 dollars a pop.

If only Frosty wasn't off checking into new lairs!  (I hear that the big issue is "Active Volcano" vs "Inactive Volcano"----my suggestion was to go with an Inactive one that can become an active one! Either way it needs to be sizable to hold the ammo for his polar bear shooting gun; its quite a step up from his potato cannon!) On the other hand an active one would give new meaning to a "lair warming party"...

PEX is an amazing thing that has made my life so much easier. As I have worked to update things, I remove my old cast iron or PVC pipes and replace with PEX. I am hoping to get the whole house switched eventually and can put in a manifold.

4 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Plumbing is my least favorite household activity

My wife wants me to install a new toilet in the upstairs bathroom. I installed the one that's there now in '83. The new one is still in "the planning stage" about 5 years now. Can ya tell I love plumbing work.:D

The problem with being "handy" is that the spousal unit and others expect you to be able to do anything and even if you can do it your level of enjoyment/frustration/drudgery does not come into the equation.  And, of course, there is the economic issue, you are seen as being "free" while professionals are seen as and are expensive.

There is an old expression, "If you are good,  you get given all the work.  If you are really good you get someone else to do it."  AKA the "Tom Sawyer/White Fence Rule." 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."  (I suppose the corollary is that if you are good with hammer and hand you are expected to be good at all other arts.)

22 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Could be getting shaken in the RV after the 8.2 earthquake. That's a pretty big shake, rattle & roll.

So we heard the next morning. Deb and I were going to bed and I'd just done the last dog walk. The wind comes up in the afternoon and through the evening on Homer Spit, we both thought it was rocking the RV and went to sleep.

Slept right through the tsunami warning sirens, alarms and the commotion of folks evacuating the spit. We're going to have to talk to the RV park people about nobody knocking on our door. I guarantee the dogs would've alerted  us and we would've gotten the word. 

Happily it was a long way away around a couple corners and the rupture was on the right side of a deep bench so no tsunami of and mention was generated. Another good thing was it happened at low tide so a tsunami would've had to have been 10-15' to even climb the slope to the high tide mark. Low tide on the spit is about 28' below the high tide mark. 

The elevation of the RV park is about 6' so we slept on in blissful ignorance. I got up early as usual to notice the RV park was almost empty, there was one tent and one RV near us. I walked up to dump trash and there were a couple few more but the place was pretty deserted. 

I started a fire in the pit and was drinking coffee watching the sunrise when people started pulling back into their spaces. I figured they were all out on party boats catching halibut or touring glaciers, etc. But nope, they were all sitting in a parking lot up on the ridge, Homer's main high ground tsunami evacuation site. 

I believe 8.2 qualifies a a great quake, I've been through a couple major quakes but not a great quake. I was kind of disappointed, I expected to at least know I was in a quake, not mistake it for a gusty wind. The two major quakes I've enjoyed shook the stuffings out of me, this one only made Deb and I laugh and make, drunks walking, jokes. :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining mind you, we could be paddling the RV to shore or helping folks dig out of the wreckage, trapped on the Kenai Peninsula by collapsed bridges, rock slides, etc. 

A no deaths, no injuries, no damage great quake is a good thing. I'm pleased. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Well another weekend went past and no work was done. Got called away for other things but I did get another ceiling fan replaced and was only zapped once!.

Got everything out to forge yesterday since it was a nice cool day, then once everything was out I realized I had zero energy or motivation so put it all back and went and took a nap :(