I Forge Iron

Sin's Rant Post

SinDoc

Some days you can't win for losing.  Wishing you better luck in the future.  I'm medicating missing Q-S with a dose of electricity for my shop; of course the cost is going to eat up any money I was hoping to use for repair parts for my power hammers. I guess I'll get to file out a couple of dies from solid stock...

John; don't you need an arrow through that hat?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hands also haven't been in very good shape lately. I blame the bi-polar weather. I had to actually ask someone in my office yesterday to open my fresh bottle of water as I couldnt muster enough grip power to get the cap to break loose.

Sin, sorry to here that.  You may need to get one of those torque assist bottle/jar opening things or a pair of vise grips to keep in you desk drawer.  I find myself needing to use assistance in opening things in the kitchen more often these days than I used to.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

My wife asks me to open things all the time; but now it's more of a struggle than it was 30 years ago.  If I've had a long day in the shop I may have to run hot water over my hands so I can bend them the next morning.  A Dr friend suggests I get one of the melted paraffin tanks for my hands.

I can sympathize with that Billy. I used to have the same problem where if I even slightly over-squeezed, my fingers would lock around the object and would hurt until I managed to unseize them and open back up. Since I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and shattered my right a year later, I swung to the opposite end where I have some days that I can barely keep a strong enough grip to keep a hold of my thermos of coffee in the morning. 

Will my fingers still seize on things if I squeeze to hard? I imagine they would, if I could actually squeeze that hard anymore. Getting old stinks, and I am only 31 :wacko:

Edit:

George, I do have one of those triangular like torque openers at home because I straight up cant open things like pasta sauce anymore.

Doesn't everybody have kitchen channel locks? 

I was prescribed Diclofenac Sodium topical Gel a few years ago for my thumbs and it not only really helped them it's gone a long way towards easing my fingers locking.

Cherry extract capsules helped with the pain as well.

I haven't had to take a cherry capsule or apply the diclofenac in a long time though my left ring finger still has a catch but doesn't lock. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

This week has not been very good.

Went to go forge the other night only to remember I am still out of gas and am unable to get more for probably another week or two. Works been chaotic and on top of my normal stuff, I was given the task to make a bunch of reports and such and tac it onto the database I built. During all of the building, I finished a report and while testing exporting to Outlook code, I accidently emailed it to our sales guys and the report was not something they were supposed to see so now the boss is about to rip my head off for it.

Frosty, can I come up to your neck of the woods and get lost in the Alaskan wilderness?

Got any friends in the companies IT department?  I once mistakenly sent an email to 'ert' instead of 'wrt'. Unfortunately ert was my department head and wrt was a friend. Realized the mistake right after I sent it; so I immediately called a friend in IT and was able to get the email deleted from ert's account before they had read it and so kept my job until the big dot.com bust and subsequent layoff.

I'm low on propane and money and so will probably fire up the coal forge this weekend.  I need to burn through all my coal and move the coal storage to the outside.

I botched a mail merge several years back, and instead of nicely individualized emails, the top ten donors in my portfolio all got messages that started, "Dear <<recipient>>, Last year, you donated a total of <<amount>>...." 

25 minutes ago, SinDoc said:

Frosty, can I come up to your neck of the woods and get lost in the Alaskan wilderness?

Sure, we have an open door policy towards "end of the roaders." I'd wait till next spring, late fall isn't the time to try establishing a camp in the wilderness or moving to a remote town. It's much easier to learn your way around when it's warm. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My Supervisor once told me that I was solely in charge of part of a system that was netting the company 3 to 7 billion dollars a year.  Worse: if it failed; the company could be fined a million dollars a day----no pressure!   He also told me that I'd not be fired for the *first* mistake if I made one...That was about 30 years ago.  I am greatly looking forward to being retired and only having to report to my wife of 37 years...

Don't keep beating yourself up. Acknowledge  the mistake and get on with your life---sort of like getting moderated on IFI....

Gee Thomas, that sounds like being elected to the board or a club admin. Once they have you there's no escape. I made the mistake of just saying no when elected president of the local club, I didn't say it loudly and angrily enough. I stated from the start I wasn't going to do anything I didn't absolutely have to and it took probably 10 years to find another sucker.

Here's to you reporting to the better half for at least another 37 year.

Frosty The Lucky.

I tend to joke with the misses that I plan on checking out at the ripe old age of 50. At the rate my body is falling apart, I imagine I will be the equivalent of someone in their late 80s by then :lol:. Naturally, she doesn't find it amusing.

Thomas: I figure if I can hold on a couple more decades they'll be able to grow me a new body and I'll get to cross the century mark with a 30 YRO's body. The best part will be I WILL know then what I know now. 

Then again some days I just wonder when it'll be over.

Frosty The Lucky.