I Forge Iron

Sin's Rant Post

SinDoc

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know. I will have to dig into it more. It just seems as I get really close to getting that nice super sharp edge, I noticing glinting and can peel and massively fine strip off the edge. The strip is smaller decently smaller than the width of a hair and only notice it due to the glinting.

With how thin the edge is now, I don't know if I will be able to try heat treat again without destroying the thing. Not that it would matter much I suppose since without it, it wouldn't be a knife.

Quite possibly lol. I have only ever gotten to own crappy ceramic knives that lose their edge if you look at them wrong. This "knife" is already sharper than they were out of the box, but still has some issues cutting through paper and is nowhere near shaving sharp.

I need to do more research on the process honestly. I am probably doing it wrong on top not having correctly hardening it.

Alloy and heat treat are strong candidates but what jumps out at me is 10-15 strokes per side. That has to grind a heavy bur leaving a rough edge when it breaks off.

Try switching sides every 2-3 strokes once you have the edge close and one stroke per side for the final edge. Then clean the bur on a strop. The sharper it is the less pressure. This is how Dad taught me and just now I see more techniques than I wanted to skim. I was looking to see the current term for stroke direction and that hasn't changed. Woo HOO!

I "Push" the edge on a stone.

"Pulling" is the only way it works on a strop. Of course.

And because I free hand, my bevels are slightly different but I'm working on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

After talking to some of the more handy guys in the office, it seems I was being too aggressive on the sharpening. I also need to remove a bit more meat from the blade as it is still a little too thick. One guy hit it with a bastard file and got it much sharper then I had in 5 minutes than I did in a hour.

That was my thought as well. I was happy it got sharper, but sad because I figured that meant it wasnt as hard as it should be. Ill toss it back in the forge this weekend and try to harden it again.

Edit:

We crossed Steve lol. I fully agree and want it to be properly hardened so will try again and see what happens. I would rather destroy it trying to get it right then leave it incorrectly done but somewhat usable. 

In other news, I made a little more progress on my bathroom. Got the old vanity removed and waterlines/drain terminated, although I am thinking about changing the direction of the now unused drain to go up the wall and install an AAV for more venting. Our house has really bad venting as it is all 1 1/2 pipe and gurgles quite a bit. I now need to re-route the electric for the light to another wall so the existing switch stays usable. "Shouldn't" be too hard, as the run comes in from the top and the bathroom is a drop ceiling, so I shouldn't need to demo much if anything really.

Then it is on to piecing everything back together and repairing the drywall. I took our plumbers advice for the new vanity and instead of cutting apart the waterlines to extend them over to the new location, I am putting a "Y" on my washers feeds on the other side of the wall and running braided houses through the wall to connect to the vanity instead. Means I wont have to tear more of the floor up to get to the waterlines underneath.

Wife still needs to pick a color for the walls and flooring before I can install the new vanity though. hopefully I get to do a little forging this weekend and just relax a bit.

Back to coding because more people can't fathom how to build things to be future proof. They build it for what is good at that moment and the rest da....you get the gist.

I have spent a large chunk of my day in Visual Studio writing API calls and who knows what else just to parse extremely poorly structured data that if it had been done correctly, could have been done with a quick and dirty excel formula. I am not about to go through 5000 or more rows cleaning up data.

Grrrrrrrr......

Considerations for the future are not common.  Everyone wants to digitize information but little consideration is given to how to retrieve that data further down the time stream.  Have fun getting data that was recorded on punch cards, paper tape, or magnetic tape.  And when was the last time you used a micro fiche reader?  Even optic media will degrade over time.  Do you think something recorded on a laser read disk will be available in 40-50 years time?  And how do storage conditions affect retrievability?

I am all for redundancy in storing information.  Store something electronically or in the cloud but keep a hard copy.

This is a sermon I have preached to County Clerks and Recorders who want to scan and then discard years and tons of paper deeds, etc..  I have had to fight with blurry scans done 10 years previously.  It is particularly frustrating after having worked with survey plats done in the late 19th century on drafting linen with beautiful copper plate labeling which look like they were created last week.

OK, I'll bite.  What is the difference between a piano, a tuna, and glue?  I suspect the answer will be a groaner.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm the opposite of most. I have a low tech business and a high tech hobby. After Viet Nam i began making my living between hammer and anvil. About 1980 i changed my focus from farrier to architectural iron, again with the addition of a forge and never looked back.

Around the time of Dos 5, i got my first computer. A friend( an early IT, i suppose) advised me to learn dos, and not deal with Win 3.1. So I did. Around the time of XP, i decided to start a vid project. I started documenting my jobs and associated techniques via digital tape. Around '08 I built my last computer. DV tape tech was going strong. I began my Journada around .02. With the release of Win7_sp1, I began a time of no power. As a traditional smith, it didnt matter, but i had to put my 'puter and vid project aside. Alas the little 4 legged wild critters trashed my computer just before moving here a year or so ago,,, all but the 3 hard drives.  Last summer i started figuring out what was next for this project. I have 3 Hd's,couple hundred DV tapes of my projects and tech has passed me by. W10 doesnt support firewire. This winter i built my new computer based on a motherboard released last june that can boot to win 7 or 10, depending on what bios you chose to install. I 've found a new software that overcomes the hardware problems associated with moving an old system to a new hardware setup. I call this my Time capsule Project. Im bound and determined to clone my old system to my new build, turn it on and be able to slowly watch the digital doors of my time capsule open to circa '02-'11.

I have a "lost partition" on one of the hard drives, so i'm in the process of digging up the files and folders to rebuild it as best I can.  Just three days ago, buried in the rubble i found 20 some critical avi files from my project. I had a great two days reviewing these watching me forge a small trowel that i did the stonework with, amonst other things. Still have the trowel, and am starting a new stone project for my new shop. Time to do more stone using the tools i built to do stone. Its the Blacksmith Way! Times are good.

I added this here because it seemed appropriate. 

Lol, I just read your post, George. Im not restoring cards to tape, but i am restoring from mechanical storage to the new nvme ssd tech. not bad for an ole broke down blacksmith.  ;)

George, you can tuna piano but you cant piano a tuna!

Anvil, I believe there are effectively "emulators" if you want older style windows. It will run on modern windows, but have the complete look and feel of say XP. At one point I had several operating systems installed on my various hard drives. I had XP, 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, Ubuntu and a random Apple OS.

Actually, I realize there are many ways of doing what I need. Basically, I chose this way,,, just because.  However, I don't think any emulator will emulate FireWire. Thus no new dv data.

I'm not looking for advice here, I just wanted to show a low tech smith with a high tech hobby, and share my last few weeks of play.

After spending my workday at the focal point of 3 monitors hooked to 3 different systems: Linux on the departmental network, windows on the university network and a laptop (W10) on the university's wireless network.  I prefer to read or pound on hot metal to messing around with computers.

Having folks keeping old methods alive can be a handy thing with both computers and blacksmithing I will freely admit.

Frosty, the joke is pretty bad. You can tuna piano, but cant piano a tune. What about the glue? I knew you would get stuck on that! :lol:

I am full of dad jokes. I keep them all stored in my dad-o-base. 

Thomas, I would also much rather pound hot metal to messing with computers when I get home. Especially today since all I have done is rebuild our method of handling bids and jobs from the ground up. The next VLOOKUP I write might just find the method of my death.