I Forge Iron

Living in open places

Dan N

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are not familiar with the name Denali it was formerly called Mount McKinley, The highest mountain in the U.S. and a National Park. I would love to someday visit there. Here is some great pictures and info.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/historyculture/denali-origins.htm

I spent about a year living on the San Gabriel Range in California. If you went to the top you could see all of the Mojave desert spreading out below you. I brought a friend out for a visit and she kinda freaked out in the nothingness of the desert. It was too open for her I guess after living in a city for her entire life. :o

Pnut

Gorgeous pics Frosty!  Loved the bear.  

Thomas, I considered Moriarty, The few places I saw there are either a bit too high price wise (for now) or in some case just shells of houses and not really liveable.  One was a house that looked like the guy got the exterior but nothing on the inside.  another looked like a 19th century collapsing hulk that has "potential".  It doesn't have water, heat, electricity, or in some spots, a roof.  gotta love realtor speak.

Dan, I don't know how people make it in DFW.  The traffic is a nightmare and I've become spoiled by rural Kansas, where rush hour in my town lasts fro 5 to 5:10 pm. :)

Very nice Twistedwillow.

Now I did just spot a place near Glorieta, NM (well, technically Rowe) pretty close to where I went to summer camp when I was a kid.  It's a mobile home on an acre and I know that's some pretty country up there.

Ah well, this is still in the 5 year out planning stages.

Near Rowe, NM, USA; is also home to the Christopher Thomson Ironworks in what was once the largest blacksmith show west of the Mississippi IIRC.   Check out his website!

Now for Factory Process and supply line work the big spot would be El Paso with most of the jobs being right across the border in Mexico.  I worked in the Dell Factory in Juarez for 6 years writing test scripts for major sized systems. I lived in the sliver of NM near the triple junction of Texas, New Mexico and Old Mexico, in a rural area called La Union.  Rented a casita near a large house lived in by a retired heart surgeon who basically owned most of what he could see from his porch---and was up on a hill!

15 hours ago, Dan N said:

xxxx that is magnificent I sure hope I can make it up there again. Thank you very much I did not mean to be a pain. Are there places there to rent short term? 

You're not a pain, I need practice finding things on this stupid thinky machine anyway. Sure, Alaska may be WAY out here in the far north west but it's a modern enough place. Anchorage is probably one of the most modern cities in the USA. Rental availability and price depends on: location, size, access, amenities, etc. Rentals with an air strip are common enough rentals on lakes large enough for a float plane are everywhere. Finding a rental in Denali park, say Polychrome pass have years long waiting lists with a major crossed fingers factor.

I loved crossing the crest into the Lancaster, Palmdale area. I could remember the drive, parts anyway but not the name, Googled canyon drive names I could remember and was blanking completely. Then I was watching the news and just said the name and BINGO! (It's a TBI survivor trick to get around the aphasia) Anyway, My favorite drive over the Angelus Crest was Bouquet Canyon. Water in the creek year round, good trout fishing in season and a great little restaurant with excellent pie and always fresh sun tea. The view as you crossed the crest was spectacular. couldn't quite see to the Rockies in spite of what we told people. (;

I have more pics along the roads, The drive to Valdez has spectacular scenery, especially Keystone Canyon, shear cliffs and waterfalls along the Lowe River. I wanted to video the drive but the file sizes from a GoPro are crazy huge and you can't zoom it, 180* is pretty useless in normal circumstances. It's been forgotten somewhere for years now.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend the drive from Anchorage to Valdez, Mountain passes with the highway at the bottom of a snow canyon cut by monster blowers to keep open over the winter, glaciers, pioneer towns, smoking volcanos, raging rivers, water falls, the whole schmere.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice thing about my job was that the Santa Teresa border crossing pretty much never has a wait and the factory was right there.  We parked on the US side and walked across to the shuttle bus that took us to the door of the factory.  So no wait unlike some of the downtown crossings that had massive waits both ways. (and no hassle about cars crossing!)

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

loved crossing the crest into the Lancaster, Palmdale area. 

Those were the two closest towns to where I was staying. I loved it. The cabin was great. You could still see some of the wreckage from the St. Francis dam on the drive in to town. Stunning that water can move giant pieces of concrete and scatter them around like Legos. 

Pnut

Used to get flash floods in Albuquerque.  Fast moving water can be terrifying.  One year a boulder the size of a volkswage got bounced up on the roadway of a bridge over an arroyo (I was a kid, so it's probably much larger in my mind than it really was, but it was enough to cause a lot of traffic problems).  There is a whole network of arroyos and there were a lot of them were lined with concrete, so were favorite places for skaters and BMX types. seems like every couple of years some poor kid would get killed by one.  One of the weird weather things was that we'd get rain storms but the drops would evaporate before hitting the ground.  as the storm passed into the mountains a whole lot of water suddenly hit the ground and would fill the arroyos higher up and that would all come rushing into the city on its way to the river.  So some poor kid would say "hey, lets go skate, it's not raining" and then get carried away when the water got there in huge amounts.  Flash flooding like that is scary.  I can't imagine what a dam breaking would be like.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:06 AM, Paul TIKI said:

Dan, I don't know how people make it in DFW.  The traffic is a nightmare and I've become spoiled by rural Kansas, where rush hour in my town lasts fro 5 to 5:10 pm. :)

Yes there are some bad areas and Dan does not do Dallas. My house is in the middle of 33 acres I can pee off the porch and shoot a shotgun at the same time. I had 12 deer milling aroud yesterday. 

No bag limit as I have heard.  There area I saw them on the side of the road was on the long road (hwy 277) from Abilene to Wichita Falls passing through the intersection of No and Where.  you notice the roadkill because all you see is miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.  I understand the feral hog population has gotten bad  in some areas and they are tearing up lots of good farmland and even causing issues with deer populations.

There is a place in Bryan near College Station called HeliBacon.  Helicopter Boar hunts.  

I'd like the privacy though  I might like the income from a deer lease too.  I'd want a much bigger chunk of land for that though.