I Forge Iron

Living in open places

Dan N

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy in Las Cruces who put in for an elk and an Oryx tag.  He likes the Gila area for Elk, although I don't know where he went when he pulled an Oryx tag a couple of years ago.  I think at one point he went to an area very close to the White Sands Missile range. 

One thing to consider, if you are a hunter or fisherman, and are considering relocating east or west is that much of the west is public land (Forest Service,  BLM, or state) where you don't have to ask permission or pay private trespass fees to hunt or fish.  Also, in some states the waterways are considered public.  So, you can float or wade on the bed of the river even if the banks are private property.

Here in WY about half the state is public land and just about all the mountain ranges are National Forests.  There are pieces of public land which are land locked by private property and you need permission to cross to get to the public land.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

We have wildlife management areas (WMA's) that are open to hunting and there's a ridiculous amount of places to fish. As you said the waterways are open to anyone but there's regulations regarding hunting from them. The KDFWR does a pretty good job of making sure there's lots of opportunities for sportsmen to do what they love. 

Pnut