I Forge Iron

Sign hanger

Davor

• 4 weeks later...

The cutout looks good!  Now, make some rings out 1/4" round rod, overlap flat-tapered ends a little and you can heat with a propane or MAPP torch to close the ring.  The stainless shackles look really out of place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 4:01 AM, Frosty said:

That's looking better all the time. I'm trying to come up with a way to back light it with an oil lamp but it's made to look at from both sides. 

Frosty The Lucky.

You got me thinking, so as I was making some tools today I made a hanger from some scrap pieces. It is riveted, with only the horizontal bar welded. I punched a squer hole and welded it fom the inside. Not exactly what you had in mind, but as I said it got me thinking.

IMG_20210320_141302230_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210320_141315349_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210320_141559612_HDR.jpg

Nice. Next forge a tenon on the horizontal bar. Also, think of changing your mouting hardware, or at least don't leave them brightwork.

If you are serious about lighting you could use a string of led's. You could even inset them into the wood cutout.

Good Morning,

Reminds me of the 'Weather Rock'. A 500 lbs rock, hanging by a chain, in the weather.

If it makes a shadow, it is Sunny. If it is wet, it is raining, If it is white, it is snowing. If it is swinging slightly, it is windy. If it is horizontal, it is a hurricane. If it is missing, DUCK!!!!!!

Neil

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, Frosty said:

That's looking better all the time. I'm trying to come up with a way to back light it with an oil lamp but it's made to look at from both sides. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the backlit idea.

You could stack cut 2 boards, put glass on each side and then put little LEDs between the two halves.